Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite that does well for Jumping and Waves?

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite that does well for Jumping and Waves?

Postby markchatwin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm looking for a 13-14m kite that can do a good job at both jumping and wave riding. I know there's a compromise but does anyone know any 2012-2014 kites that can cover both styles. Recently I had a good wave session on a 2012 Slingshot Rally 12m where for the 1st time ever I felt the sense of the kite "drifting" well as I rode downwind towards the kite.

I did not do so well jumping on the Rally. I am a "so so" jumper and find much more success on various Cabrinha Switchblades I have flown (mostly 2012). Advice I have gotten from a couple people is that the SB is more forgiving on the timing and has more lift and float. I'm assuming because the Rally is a 3-strut delta design that that's the reason my wave session was pretty good...

Currently I ride '09 Slingshot Revs that are good "all arounders" but I think by now that there may be some newer kites that can do better.

At my local spot there is mostly lightish wind and my 13m Rev is my most used kite so that is the kite I need to replace. I'm 5'8" 160 lbs with 5 years experience.

I'm a big fan of above the bar depower ala Ozone, RRD, North so I've been looking at the Catalyst, Rebel, Obsession. Any ideas? Thanks...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Kite that does well for Jumping and Waves?

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Are you on a tt, mutant or surfboard?

What is your greater preference? waves or jumping?

True drifting doesn't really happen that well on a big kite.

My call get a jumping kite in the 13-14m size and learn to working it the waves. When the wind is up get a smaller more wave dedicated kite.

I run a 13m ozone edge. Its not a wave kite at all. probably one of the worst kites to use in waves.... But I have huge fun boosting of the wave lips landing topside and looping it down the line. It doesn't drift that well but I can compensate from that buy looping it constantly. I have epic fun in the waves on this non wave kite.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:29 pm

I am on a thruster surfboard. Not a bad idea getting a smaller wave kite and a bigger jumping kite... What are good ideas for these types of kites? 2013 14m Cabrinha Switchblade/Catalyst/Rebel for jumping and free ride and a ? wave kite in the 10mish size?
Last edited by markchatwin on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby tony montana » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:36 pm

North rebel jumping and waves,solid kite,fast,easy big jumps,good wave kite,great bar and safety,wind range and depower second to none,hard to beat if you can afford,TONY

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE
Been thanked: 0

Postby hmattar » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 pm

You could also consider the Evo, great all around kite that jumps well(not as the rebel) but is faster and will be fun in waves!

But you will be happy with either choice!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Can't have both, there is always a comprimise.

Just got off a new dice (read my review on the Seabreeze Aussie forum). It jumps well, but its no edge...and indeed it so rebel. But it damn well goes big enough when the swell is really pumping.

The other I would consider is the Airush wave.

These are both proper wave kites that can jump.

Then get a jumper to jump. Or you will be doing everything so, so.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 am

Check out the new Naish Rides. Very light weight kite that will help drifting, still turns fast and will definitely jump pretty well..been riding the hell out of the new 11, and loving every minute of it. If you are into powered kiteloops the park might be a better one.

I have not tried the bigger ones, but for drift also check the BRM strutless..I still want to check out the 13 :-)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:19 am

Really depends on how far down the surfing rabbit hole you want to venture.

Just cruising around with abit of wave riding then you find a kite geared to more jumping aka say a rebel or fuse.

If you want to bit more surf than that, then you move into the more all rounder category, Catalyst, wainmen, lithuim, trigger etc

If you want more C chucked in there, then maybe a naish park or best TS...

but..if you truly want to surf with enough drift and steering when depowered, if you really want to slot into some pits and get closer to real surfing then you will need something like a Airush wave or now the new north Dice. these two for example still give you enough to jump with a degree of ease, float etc

Or you could get a fair dinkum wave kite like the new BWS (totally differnt to the older models), Reo, RRD..etc, but these will not be as easy to jump.

Really decide on what you mean to 'wave ride'. Personally right now the wave and the dice are where I am sitting re wave kites. Keeping the edge just to boost and smooth speed freeride and general cruising.

New reo will be coming out soon so need to try that though :D

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 am

Check out the 14m Blade Trigger. Has 2 settings(wave & standard) and Blades turn fast in the bigger sizes. :thumb: I had the 12m, 14m, and Fat lady from last year and currently have the 2013 12m and Fat Lady(my weight is 200). Great in the waves with any surfboard. There are quite a few of us that ride the Blade kites in San Diego/Baja now. Although I have not tried jumping with straps on the 2013, the 2012's were excellent for jumping (I got some my biggest jumps on the 9m). I have 2 good friends that love them for freestyle/jumping too. Anyway, you might want to give them a look. Good Luck.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:23 am

iblocalsurfer wrote:Check out the 14m Blade Trigger. Has 2 settings(wave & standard) and Blades turn fast in the bigger sizes. :thumb: I had the 12m, 14m, and Fat lady from last year and currently have the 2013 12m and Fat Lady(my weight is 200). Great in the waves with any surfboard. There are quite a few of us that ride the Blade kites in San Diego/Baja now. Although I have not tried jumping with straps on the 2013, the 2012's were excellent for jumping (I got some my biggest jumps on the 9m). I have 2 good friends that love them for freestyle/jumping too. Anyway, you might want to give them a look. Good Luck.

Yeh but trying to get on one in Western Australia is just too hard! No demos anywhere.

This is one kite I have wanted to try for a couple of years now.... :argue:

Blade send me a kite, becuase your retailers here can't seem to work their shit out...i write a mean review, if you don't beleive me just look for reviews by eppo on the aussie forum.

Last one (yesterday) was on the North Dice...they are on a bloody winner here and I'm principally an ozone rider who used to ride Rebels. But a good kite is a good kite, don't care who made it in the end.

Return to “Kitesurfing”