danie178
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Leash for Kite"surfing"

Postby danie178 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Ok folks,

I've never ever been a advocate of kiteboard leashes, in the 8 years of riding I've only ever worn one once at it was at a rather good surf spot where loosing your board involved a very very long bodydrag in (about 800meters).

However, recently I have been entertaining the possibility of wearing one only with a surf board mind you. There are occasions where a loose board is dangerous to other beach users, and the resulting body drag if you loose yoru board is not great for you or the other folks around you.

My question is.....

Have you started wearing a leash for your surfboard, if so then what type, low elasticity would be desirable, so it won't ping back at you. short length?

Im thinking 5' or 6' comp leash, I.E. 5mm core, the risks are still there of course but can they be mitigated, bearing in mind kites these days do not pull you underwater for 5-10 meters every time you crash.

PS, if you start up some rant about leashes and twintips well its not related to the question here, of course that is not ok! I will never advocate a leash for a twintip.

peace1 :D

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Leash for Kite"surfing"

Postby dyyylan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 pm

i have a 5' leash that I throw on sometimes, feels like the perfect length for me. I wouldn't go longer than 6' for sure.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Yes there are times when a leash might be the safer alternative.... that said i still don't use one. But i'm on a Mutant TT in the waves not a SB.

Anyway. Consider a helmet if you don't already wear one if you are going to leash up.

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:16 am

Wear now only strapless in 3 to 4 meter waves.it can save your life and in some cases be dangerous its a trade off,shorter the better,6 ft i go with.TONY

borntofli
Rare Poster

Postby borntofli » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:44 pm

How ldo you keep from tripping over it everytime you switch feet??

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:43 pm

ive been using a roll type leash for the last 1.5 years, really perfect, jump do everything with it, no problems, does not spring back at you at all! just comes gently back when you are ready again. I ride a TT mainly in deep lakes with about 2 kms to the shore, when the water is 6 degrees and you loose your board you die....and yes i ride mainly alone! and yes i can body drag but if you kite on lakes you know a leash is a must have....did try a surf leash at first...very dangerous and not very practical.....roll-leash worth the extra money!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dyyylan » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:44 pm

borntofli wrote:How ldo you keep from tripping over it everytime you switch feet??
this was really the biggest problem I encountered, along with trying to water start and having the leash wrapped around you

it's kind of a pain but it's not something that would keep me from using a leash when the conditions call for it

turfAndsurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Diego

Postby turfAndsurf » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:30 am

dyyylan wrote:
borntofli wrote:How ldo you keep from tripping over it everytime you switch feet??
this was really the biggest problem I encountered, along with trying to water start and having the leash wrapped around you

it's kind of a pain but it's not something that would keep me from using a leash when the conditions call for it
I kitesurf strappless and I only use it when my board could get smash into a rocky shore. Another kitesurfer advised me to use a 9' leash, this way it would be more out of the way if you wiped out on a wave and it got drag under, what do you guys think.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby dyyylan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:04 pm

turfAndsurf wrote:
dyyylan wrote:

I kitesurf strappless and I only use it when my board could get smash into a rocky shore. Another kitesurfer advised me to use a 9' leash, this way it would be more out of the way if you wiped out on a wave and it got drag under, what do you guys think.
I really think the longer the leash is, the worse it would be for getting wrapped around you and dangling around in the way. i use a 5' one now, if i was to replace it today i would probably get a 6'. not any longer

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 pm

How about attaching to the back of the harness? It might be a bit more out of the way!

Return to “Kitesurfing”