Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does anyone here own a 2012 Liquid Force NRG?

Forum for kitesurfers
Zalex820
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Does anyone here own a 2012 Liquid Force NRG?

Postby Zalex820 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:16 pm

I just bought a new 12M 2012 NRG and last weekend decided to try and fly it static due to not having enough time to get out on the water and try it. I am still a newbie at this so I need some help. This kite seemed like it was either not flying or the next second trying to kill me. It was a little bit gusty and about 12-15 knots. Is it me just not us to it yet or am I doing something wrong?Maybe Just the way it should be, in some reviews I had seen it says this kits is the powerhouse of kites for 2012? Thanks in advance.

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE

Re: Does anyone here own a 2012 Liquid Force NRG?

Postby hmattar » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 pm

Unless you weight 20 kilos, this kite is not trying to kill you at 15 knots.
You are, when you go kiting without knowing.

Have u done some basic training with a instructor?
Go get some instruction before you hurt youserlf.

Zalex820
Rare Poster

Postby Zalex820 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:37 pm

hmattar wrote:Unless you weight 20 kilos, this kite is not trying to kill you at 15 knots.

Sorry let me clear this up a bit before you guys get the wrong idea. I started kiteboarding about 2 months ago and have been in the water maybe a handfull of times trying to get up on the board, before that i had a trainer and a small FB depower. I flew static for a number of months and got the hang of that. Before I got in the water I took a lessons from an IKO instructor and not I am here. I just got a new job and the hours are killer plus I just put a ring on a lucky girls finger so I don't ahve to much time to get out on the water right now to practice and get better. But I do know how to control the kite and the safety system and Technics. I just felt like this kite would barely turn one second and the next try to loft me. Maybe it was a really dirty wind?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:08 am

Which idiot sold you then a high aspect, high performing, very powerful wing then?

This kite is really for an intermediate to advanced rider.

That shouldn't stop you, you will adapt, but take care.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 am

Zalex820 wrote:
hmattar wrote:Unless you weight 20 kilos, this kite is not trying to kill you at 15 knots.

Sorry let me clear this up a bit before you guys get the wrong idea. I started kiteboarding about 2 months ago and have been in the water maybe a handfull of times trying to get up on the board, before that i had a trainer and a small FB depower. I flew static for a number of months and got the hang of that. Before I got in the water I took a lessons from an IKO instructor and not I am here. I just got a new job and the hours are killer plus I just put a ring on a lucky girls finger so I don't ahve to much time to get out on the water right now to practice and get better. But I do know how to control the kite and the safety system and Technics. I just felt like this kite would barely turn one second and the next try to loft me. Maybe it was a really dirty wind?

I think it may be different things. Most probably the kite is fine, you are still learning and there was some dirty wind.

Be safe and stick with it.

Perhaps you could have an experienced kiter check it for u. I did that with a kite i wasnt comfortable with, just so happens it was a LF. But the kite was fine,

I have flown that kite, its works well ( forgot to mention )

Zalex820
Rare Poster

Postby Zalex820 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:40 am

jrfiol wrote:
Zalex820 wrote:

I think it may be different things. Most probably the kite is fine, you are still learning and there was some dirty wind.

Be safe and stick with it.

Perhaps you could have an experienced kiter check it for u. I did that with a kite i wasnt comfortable with, just so happens it was a LF. But the kite was fine,

I have flown that kite, its works well ( forgot to mention )
What could I possibly be doing wrong? What could be wrong with the kite out of the box? Do you think it's a good kite to keep or should I sell it and get something else. I got this NRG to replace a 2009 11M BEST BULAROO

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:46 am

It's fine, not sure what the guy was saying about it being "intermediate to advanced" only. if you can turn it left and right you can fly it... super easy kite to ride on

if you dont really know what you're doing, it's probably just user error. every kite flies a little differently and you will need to get used to it. i thought the same thing about the first 2 kites I got, I always thought something was *wrong*

also, 12-15 knots, use the "light wind" knot for the outside lines (the knot closest to the kite) if you weren't using that one. don't be afraid of the power.

Zalex820
Rare Poster

Postby Zalex820 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:53 am

dyyylan wrote:It's fine, not sure what the guy was saying about it being "intermediate to advanced" only. if you can turn it left and right you can fly it... super easy kite to ride on

if you dont really know what you're doing, it's probably just user error. every kite flies a little differently and you will need to get used to it. i thought the same thing about the first 2 kites I got, I always thought something was *wrong*

also, 12-15 knots, use the "light wind" knot for the outside lines (the knot closest to the kite) if you weren't using that one. don't be afraid of the power.
I think you might be right. I just feel like the thing wants to loft me when it's probably not going to . I have a question about that though. What would or should I do if a gust comes around and lifts me off the ground? Would I pull the QR or try to land it?If land it then while in the air the bar should be power depowered or middle? and would I try to do kiteloops if things really get out of hand? Sorry for all the questions but i'd rather be safe/r and know what to do.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:03 am

it's often difficult to analyze how much you're going to be lofted because it happens very fast, so unless you can absolutely feel that you're only being lifted less than a foot or two, being able to hit the quick release quickly is a very good reflex to have.

the best thing to do is not just stand around with your kite over your head, keep it off to one side (over the water is the best place, if possible), that way it would drag you along the beach rather than lift you in the air. still not the best scenario, but if you eject while you're already in the air you will drop like a rock (i've done it, lol)

this is only the case when it's the wind's fault you are being lofted, though.

if you send your kite across the window over your head, you should go up in the air -- this is actually how you jump. So if you are getting this feeling of being lifted off the ground all the time, try making slower movements with the kite. the NRG does generate a lot of lift and power (which is a good thing!), so you just need to learn how to control it better. this happens with any kite, though

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 am

Westozy is right - you should have got a beginner style kite that will fit your current "2 months" of kiting but still trying to get on the board skill !!
In light wind yes it will turn slow at the top and then try to kill a Noob as it accelerates thru the power window because you need a few more instructed lessons to sort you out ...

Return to “Kitesurfing”