Worn lines on 2013 Naish

Forum for kitesurfers
runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Worn lines on 2013 Naish

Postby runner1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks tautologies, The damage is a bit further up than the picture you show, right where the steering lines cross following a rotation before you spin the bar.

I have had one incident with the kite looping uncontrollably that I punched out from, but I did not notice damamge after this (and it is quite noticable damage, both when kiting and setting up). I first noticed the damage a few sessions ago and it appeared to get worse over the last couple of sessions.

My main question now is do I need to replace those lines, and if so what is the best/cheapest option? Do Ozone lines work on the Naish bar?

I will certainly try the wax trick on the existing lines if I keep them, or on the new lines.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:40 am

runner1 wrote:Thanks tautologies, The damage is a bit further up than the picture you show, right where the steering lines cross following a rotation before you spin the bar.

I have had one incident with the kite looping uncontrollably that I punched out from, but I did not notice damamge after this (and it is quite noticable damage, both when kiting and setting up). I first noticed the damage a few sessions ago and it appeared to get worse over the last couple of sessions.

My main question now is do I need to replace those lines, and if so what is the best/cheapest option? Do Ozone lines work on the Naish bar?

I will certainly try the wax trick on the existing lines if I keep them, or on the new lines.
I'll check a little further up.
I think it is a little hard to say since I do not know the lines. I cannot imagine you having to change the lines after 2 weeks. That is unheard of. If a line snaps after that short time I would assume that is something you can talk to the shop about..I dunno I never had that problem....that said, it is a little hard to generalize that just from the pic.

I would say no no need to change, but then again, it is a little easier to know when you see the lines in person.

I know you said the lines are thinner than the 2012 bar. Is this maybe the ride bar? I am not 100% but that might have thinner lines. I can check on mine. i used my ride bar before I got the parks.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 am

Ok I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I do know this... I had a friend that bought a ride with a universal bar, not the ride bar. He rode it for a few weeks, while learning to water start and all that. Then I rode the kite and noticed right away that one of the outside lines was way longer than the other. On inspection it was about two to three inches longer.

He had only had it for a couple weeks so he took it in to the shop. He didn't even say anything and the guy at the counter was handing him a new set of outside lines. He said that they were having some problems and that there were tons of people coming in.

Now I have no idea about your lines but might be worth a call to Naish.

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda

Postby runner1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:31 am

It is the Park Bar ie it has a swivel. When i said lighter lines i was refering to the colour in response to a question, as last year's centre lines were much darker.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:08 am

runner1 wrote:It is the Park Bar ie it has a swivel. When i said lighter lines i was refering to the colour in response to a question, as last year's centre lines were much darker.
ah yes. then we have the same. i'll check a little higher on my lines to see...

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:39 am

Yes you need to replace it.
Unless you've got crazy bar pressure, Center lines carry almost 90% of the load.
In your case Multiple braids appear to have damaged strands. meaning the entire stack is weakened significantly

I've broken lines that showed visible damage but were in much better shape than this.

The wear is consistent with a rubbing/abrasion damage

Kapotte fiets
Rare Poster
Gear: slingshot fuel 6,7,9

Postby Kapotte fiets » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Does anyone know what line strenghts Naish uses for its bars? They seem to be good at hiding this since I can't find it anywhere.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

is that a pic of the worn centerline next to the other centerline?

is the worn line the one that acts as the leash line?

Return to “Kitesurfing”