Favorite Beaches: Isla Blanca
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best kites for great Pop!!

Postby elmorfin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:26 pm

I am surprised that after a close watch at some freestyle videos, the kite that apparantly had the best pop, was the airush Razor, and perhaps second was the north vegas. Go to youtube and search for some Alex Pastor action and the pop he makes is amazing. :jump:

I mean of course all the pros can do any trick in any kite, but for all mortals, it would be very helpful to have a kite that truly has some nice pop.

I tried to look for a pop similar to the Razor's in some fuel videos, and it really does not seem that that kite can generate a great amount of pop. Some of Youri Zoon's videos using the RPM show great pop. But I insist, nothing compared to the Razor's.

Whats the deal on this? I mean, if you go Fuel, Razor, Vegas, One would asume a very similar performance, right?

Any comments on your experience with some nice poping Kites?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Best kites for great POP!!

Postby dyyylan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm

The kite matters a lot, but so does the board. If you have a flexy freeride board, it won't pop as hard as stiff freestyle/wakestyle board would.

In my experience any kite that has good forward speed but sits deep in the window, gives great pop. For example the Hadlow Pro kites are scary fast through the window, when you edge on them it seems to generate a huge amount of apparent wind and blast you through the air. So, most C kites should feel like that.

Some other kites that sit deep in the window give a ton of pop too, because you can't edge them out of the power zone. Kites like a switchblade, LF envy come to mind. I get just as much pop on an Envy as I got on a c kite, but it's a different technique.

Dwnwndr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean City, NJ
Favorite Beaches: OCNJ, OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo, Fone Fish, Signature

Postby Dwnwndr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:01 am

I would toss the Ozone Edge into the mix. High aspect super fast through the window and boots huge.

elmorfin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cancún

Re: Best kites for great Pop!!

Postby elmorfin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:30 am

How about the TORCH? that is a great popping kite right?

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:30 am

assuming you are riding a C-kite, it then is more about how lit you ride. Have you ever seen what size pros go out on and in what wind?

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:49 am

I seen my buddies North Dyno pop while just sitting on the beach. Made a hell of a bang! Made me poo in my wetsuit a little. It blew out a two foot section of the leading edge and tore up into the canopy... Does that count as POP?! :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:58 am

Dwnwndr wrote:I would toss the Ozone Edge into the mix. High aspect super fast through the window and boots huge.

Dear me I must be getting old and been around too long in this sport... just lately I have read a number of posts that seem so wrong to me. Can someone help me with my old man syndrome.

The edge is one of the least popping kite I know. It doesn't pop! Its not designed to pop! Good vertical pop is really a design profile to enable, at one extreme on the spectrum, some slack lines enough for a freestyle to do their complex dance of weirdness. (C kite)

At the other end we have the edge...glide...not as vertical (same wind sam seize kite same rider same board) but longer glide...aspect build apparent wind...slack in the lines is constantly being taken up, and the pull is far greater....harder to pop!

And the variations in between this spectrum.

Christ sorry man...no offence its me I'm getting jaded hey.

elmorfin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cancún

Postby elmorfin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:51 pm

I completely agree on the last post.
The issue discussed here concerns only C Kites, as this design is the most helpful on achieving what westozzy just said: making the kite give you a very good pull while making the lines go slack for an instant.

My question at the beginning was that arguably, the only C kite that in videos, shows an amazing amount of pop is the airush razor.

Wouldn't you say that at this point in kite development, one would asume that any C kite would perform almost identical?

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Postby fourperf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:59 pm

elmorfin wrote:I am surprised that after a close watch at some freestyle videos, the kite that apparantly had the best pop, was the airush Razor, and perhaps second was the north vegas. Go to youtube and search for some Alex Pastor action and the pop he makes is amazing. :jump:

I mean of course all the pros can do any trick in any kite, but for all mortals, it would be very helpful to have a kite that truly has some nice pop.

I tried to look for a pop similar to the Razor's in some fuel videos, and it really does not seem that that kite can generate a great amount of pop. Some of Youri Zoon's videos using the RPM show great pop. But I insist, nothing compared to the Razor's.

Whats the deal on this? I mean, if you go Fuel, Razor, Vegas, One would asume a very similar performance, right?

Any comments on your experience with some nice poping Kites?

there is no rocket science to this sport. The people you spoke about get more pop because they have spent way more time on the water than most people do. Its about technique. Work on your technique and you will get more pop.

Return to “Kitesurfing”