Forum for kitesurfers
14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Re: North Dyno 2013 17m, please review?

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Changing the Bar press on the 19 gives you a little heavier feel.

My experience with the 19 is that it does NOT lose power and shoot to the edge of the window. I'm on 27M lines and getting ready to add on 4 Ms more. The 27M setup is great. I spoke with the US Oz importer and was told the 19 was designed not like the 17 and down Edges to depend more on App wind. It def has static Grunt! I am going in lighter winds than ever on an Inflato!

I have over 6 sessions on the 19 with wind Avg of 9.

I think what I have here is a 19 Zeph!

That's my 2-4!!

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Puetz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:45 pm

14ToeSide wrote:Changing the Bar press on the 19 gives you a little heavier feel.

My experience with the 19 is that it does NOT lose power and shoot to the edge of the window. I'm on 27M lines and getting ready to add on 4 Ms more. The 27M setup is great. I spoke with the US Oz importer and was told the 19 was designed not like the 17 and down Edges to depend more on App wind. It def has static Grunt! I am going in lighter winds than ever on an Inflato!

I have over 6 sessions on the 19 with wind Avg of 9.

I think what I have here is a 19 Zeph!

That's my 2-4!!

... ahh now I understand, cool!

The new Zephyr is different to the 19m in feel in my opinion (I've had a few sessions on new Zephyr now and really liked it). 19m was waaay softer feel and I could easily fold it in hard turning or edging hard against it, and during this folding the bar would wobble about but you would have to really pushit. The Zephyr on the other hand would remain stable and bar characteristics didn't change no matter how hard I pushed it, I really liked it. But keeping in mind that was me with my superior pies to you 14!!!.

I also feel that the 18m Dyno had way more static grunt than the 19m but at least the 19m had more than the 2012 dyno 17m, which is a good thing, so suits TT's better, but as you know, the 18m is slower. I don't think the 2012 had enough static grunt or park power when going slow, but does the new dyno, or at least is it better?.

So, 14, to the million dollar question, do you like (or prefer) the 19m over the 2013 Dyno 17m?

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Robbie :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 pm

Toeside one thing is for sure they have added some voodoo in the 19m edge, it is a bloody nice kite and you may have a point to a certain degree. But when I rode it I still felt it had the same albeit recused tendencies of any edge compared to the 13, 11., 10 and 9 I have flown.

I also watched robbie on it a fair bit (he wouldn't give it back to tony, which was funny shit when we were a km off shore and I knew tony wanted to go back out on the beach....ha ha hah ah),
And I did see what robbie was saying within the canopy. I noticed the power delivery and smoothness of ride especially during an aggressive turn much better when he was on the zephyr.

Not sure I'd call the 19m edge a 19m zephyr, but I do see what you are saying.

Ultimately its a very different kite and doesn't have that static grunt I was talking about. But the speed, oh the speed. It was the only time in Bali in the 19 sessions I had in 9 days that I felt lit and right on the edge, thinking about the depower! Only thinking mind you, only pussies depower
:D

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:59 am

Puetz wrote:
So, 14, to the million dollar question, do you like (or prefer) the 19m over the 2013 Dyno 17m?

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Robbie :D
Robbie i want to answer that question right now for my buddy 14Toe :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

17 for sale........but has not sold yet !

http://new.ikitesurf.com/classifieds/4433

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 am

I pump the 19 to 7.5 to 8 PSI W electric pump. No folding as of yet. I also ride a nugget which is Effortless to get on a plane therefore giving me instant juice. I can tell you the 18 D nor the Fat Lady or THE Ltd has the INSTANT power that the 19 or the 17 D has!

I prefer the 19 now as it gets me going sooner and easier than the 17 D. Therefore I dont need the 17. If I didn't have the 19 I would keep the 17. No qualms there.

As I mentioned , I think flying on 27M lines keeps the 19 from Shooting to quick to the EDGE of the window. I also let the fins drive me upwind. At 245 Pies, I can make ANY kite shoot to the edge of the window if I so choose.

I also think that the reason the 18 D didn't fold with you is because the leading edge on the 18 is close to 2 1/2 time larger in diameter than the 19 or the 17 D. You also had pulleys to even the stress on the 18.

Have not flown the Zep 17. Could be Camber depth from leading edge that doesn't lead to folding or Bridle placement. I don't know this is the reason just using common sense.

The bigger leading edge on the 18 caused It to sit farther back in the window.

Who knows. My are eyes are getting weaker every day.

I know from reading that if you have any sand in between the Ozone seal inflate valve, it will leak out slowly.

Again, just my 2-4 cents.

Last edited by 14ToeSide on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:52 am

14ToeSide wrote: Who knows. My eyes are getting weaker every day.
Again, just my 2-4 cents. 14

Your kitesurfing optician will have your new glasses ready for U soon :wink:
:sun: :surf:

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:02 am

Westozzy wrote:
... I also watched robbie on it a fair bit (he wouldn't give it back to tony, which was funny shit when we were a km off shore and I knew tony wanted to go back out on the beach....ha ha hah ah) ...

:D
... yeah,,, ummm,,, sorry Tony,,,, thanks dude!! :allbegood:

Robbie :thumb:

ps he told me to take my time,,, so I did,,,, I thought 2 hours wasn't too much,,, was it???

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 am

Nope. But ozone are holding their edge information for 2014 so close they aren't even telling their retailers.

What would be ideal is if they produced a bridal kit to suite the riders preference if that is technically possible? It is still a remarkable wing just needs to be less flat for me. Especially in winter here the edge has verged on downright dangerous in the surf, for me anyway.

Can't have everything, maybe the way FS are going with the chronix is the answer, who knows, time will tell.

You go more zephyr you lose your edge for racing and that is the kites design goals.

I will say it again even though rob for ozone thinks I'm talking out my ass, ozone need a kite between the edge or the cat, instead of having a pretend C kite type freeride kite.

But then they might end up like north with so many options it confuses the market!

Who knows, they know what they are doing I suppose.... :oops:

Oh and to add rob did say that reducing the size of the zephyr just won't work. He could make maybe a 15m but below that the concept won't work. I trust him on that so I've moved on and found something else.

oliver011
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Marbella
Style: BIG AIR
Been thanked: 0

Postby oliver011 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:34 pm

The new Dyno 2013 does not bring pulleys and have to put 5 line bar, it is possible to put 4 line bar sif i put pulleys as the 2012...?

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:16 pm

oliver011 wrote:The new Dyno 2013 does not bring pulleys and have to put 5 line bar, it is possible to put 4 line bar sif i put pulleys as the 2012...?
You probably don't want to mess with the bridles.

The leading edge is not supported by the 5th line on the 2013 Dyno, so (from what I've heard) you don't NEED a 5th line, but the safety system on North's 4 line bar will not flag the kite correctly if you release to the leash. You can use a 4-line bar from another company as long as it flags out to a single frontline (Ozone, 2014 Cabrinha bars that just came out, 2013 Best Bar, Slingshot, Liquid Force...)

If you want a kite similar to the 2013 Dyno with pullies in the bridle, I am selling my Dyno LTD, PM me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”