Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiting in High Winds. Bad for kite if it flutters?

Forum for kitesurfers
neb_16
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in High Winds. Bad for kite if it flutters?

Postby neb_16 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:44 am

Hey everyone,
I am a kiter up here on lake Erie. Being a poor graduate student, I could only purchase one kite, and decided on a Switchblade IDS 12m. It flies like a dream, and I love it. The winds on lake Erie vary greatly, and this kite's large wind range is a huge plus. I have been out in winds ranging from 12mph to 30+mph, and this kite did just fine. Anyways, here is my question:
When the wind gets to about 20 or 25+, I am forced to fully trim in the depower, as well as sheath out nearly all the way while I am kiting in order to prevent becoming overpowered. This works fine and allows me to stay on the water in up to 30+mph winds (the switchblade's depower is remarkable). In these high winds and depowered conditions, however, I have noticed that the kite flutters quite a bit while I am on the water (the kite is fairly new and in great, tight condition; this fluttering is due to the full depower and de-sheath). I was just wondering if this is bad for the kite? It doesn't bother me at all, and again only occurs when fully depowered and de-sheathed in HIGH winds. Most of the time, the wind up here isn't that high, but there are those days here and there. So could this flutter during those high wind days damage the kite? Just curious.
THanks!
Nathan

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Kiting in HIGH WINDS. Bad for kite if it flutters?

Postby Laughingman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:54 am

neb_16 wrote:Hey everyone,
I am a kiter up here on lake Erie. Being a poor graduate student, I could only purchase one kite, and decided on a Switchblade IDS 12m. It flies like a dream, and I love it. The winds on lake Erie vary greatly, and this kite's large wind range is a huge plus. I have been out in winds ranging from 12mph to 30+mph, and this kite did just fine. Anyways, here is my question:
When the wind gets to about 20 or 25+, I am forced to fully trim in the depower, as well as sheath out nearly all the way while I am kiting in order to prevent becoming overpowered. This works fine and allows me to stay on the water in up to 30+mph winds (the switchblade's depower is remarkable). In these high winds and depowered conditions, however, I have noticed that the kite flutters quite a bit while I am on the water (the kite is fairly new and in great, tight condition; this fluttering is due to the full depower and de-sheath). I was just wondering if this is bad for the kite? It doesn't bother me at all, and again only occurs when fully depowered and de-sheathed in HIGH winds. Most of the time, the wind up here isn't that high, but there are those days here and there. So could this flutter during those high wind days damage the kite? Just curious.
THanks!
Nathan
It's bad for you, the kite is fluttering because it is in "irons". If the kite is in irons and still has the power to pull you on plane you are putting yourself in extreme risk if the wind increases even slightly. Unless you are very heavy you should not be riding a 12m in anything more then 24mph and that is being generous. Just because you cannot afford it is a dumb reason to endanger your well being. Save up for a smaller kite or get off the water when you are over powered. We've already had 3 deaths in Canada this year because of the same mistake. We don't need another.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:09 am

As Laughingman states. It is bad for you. People die because they are flying a kite too big for the conditions. Just search the forum for kiting accidents. 2 people have been killed in Canada in the last month flying kites the size you mention in winds speeds you mention.

If you are an average weight (80kg) to do exceed 22knots on your 12m. Buy an 8m ffor the 22+ knot conditions.

Don't be decieved. just because you can trim at the trim strap and continue to ride does not mean you are not overpowered.

Quite simply your are riding over powered once you start pulling the trim strap to reduce power. Add your inexperience to the mix and you are running a huge risk.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:23 am

yes the fluttering hurts the kite, it weakens the area right next to the trailing edge. This is also why if you leave your kite out all day in the wind, it will weaken as it flaps in the wind. But kites are not permanent, they are like blue jeans, if you use a kite it will eventually wear out no matter how careful you are. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure you don't leave your kite out in the sun and wind all day. If the wind comes down, deflate the kite, you can always pump it up again. Be safe, make sure to talk to the local kiters about conditions and ask them if they think you are ready for big winds. I think that it's not as simple as choosing a proper sized kite for proper wind conditions. Big winds are always dangerous and some kiters are just not ready yet not matter what size kite they put up.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:07 am

1. Yes fluttering degrades the ripstop cloth very quickly, material will eventually become like paper and fall apart
2. What they said about safety. Please stop kiting in high winds
3. Get a North Rebel and short lines (20 meter) for gusty winds, as small a kite as you can plane on, works very vell

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:37 am

sarc wrote:1. Yes fluttering degrades the ripstop cloth very quickly, material will eventually become like paper and fall apart
2. What they said about safety. Please stop kiting in high winds
3. Get a North Rebel and short lines (20 meter) for gusty winds, as small a kite as you can plane on, works very vell

yes that kite is great ..... all the others in that size suck :lol:

the kid asked for an advise not for what kite to buy :angryfire:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:46 am

sounds like you are new to the sport right?

even still, a 12m swtchblade is a very powerful kite and in 25kts most people would be well overpowered. at 30+ it is getting dangerous.

dude, just figure a way to get 250$ and buy a used 8m or 9m kite on ikitesurf

dont be an idiot and get yourself seriously hurt or killed because you wont get the right equipment

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:12 am

someone mentions using their kite in an overpowered life threatning way and no one should speak out ? Really

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:57 am

Kites are perishable goods.... The more you use them the more they wear and degrade. Using you 12m Switchblade well over powered will impact the kite, bar and lines. Add accelerated wear and tear to being over powered and you've got increased risks all around. You really should really be coming off the water and switching down a size or 2 with that kite when it starts climbing over the low to mid 20's.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:11 am

So If you are limited to 1 kite quiver. 10m is the starting size i would recommend. it will do 90% of the wind range. 16-25 is right in the sweet zone for your average weight rider on teh average 10m.

You will sacrifice a few knots at the bottom end. But thats the boring end any way. You can hold the 10m to late 20's a hell of a lot easier than a 12m....

Then build your quiver around the 10m as required. get an 8m if you have extended winds of 25+ knots and 14+ meter if you have winds bellow 15 knots on a regular basis

Return to “Kitesurfing”