Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

2012 RRD Obsession question

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:07 am

I have flown the RRD Obsessions 2009 and 2011 for several years and found them to be super stable, you can hardly make them fall out the sky if you try.

Just got some 2012 obsessions and managed to luff them on tricks a few times now, falls out the sky with slack lines on some hooked tricks. The 2012 has that brilliant jumping, a bit of the old hypertype in it... and the hypertype was a unstable kite.. Just wondering if thats the trade off.

anyone find the 2012 a little unstable in higher winds, not a great deal and I can easily live with it but if you land with slack lines they can drop out the sky unlike the 2009

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2012 RRD Obsession question

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:23 am

anyone .......

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:08 pm

???
thanks

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:58 pm

The only 2009 I had was a 5 meter. It was super stable in high winds and only fell out of the sky when I was in a wind shadow trying to do some air transitions. The 2012 Obsessions are great in my opinion. I only have a 13.5 and 10.5. For my size 145lbs, the 10.5 is PERFECT for 18-22 mph. I like flying it in as low as 15 and due often times go up to 28-30 mph at times. That kite doesn't fall out of the sky easily in 20+ mph but does become unstable to fly in the high twenties. Trimming the kite to drop some power only seems to make it more funky to fly. I'd switch to my 9 but I have some bladders to replace. I'm hoping to get a 7 soon, it is very stable in 30+ mph.

My 13.5 is the biggest culprit of just falling out of the sky on some tricks. I've learned to just add a little more movement to the kite. Sometimes I know its going to happen so I send the kite down in either direction. I'm not worried about landing the trick, I know its already botched so I just try to keep my kite dry and not have the chance of it inverting after a total drop out of the sky. If it is too late to send the kite and it does drop like a lead zeppelin, try to quickly figure out which side of the zenith the kite is on. If you hold the up line, chances are you can get the kite to respond before it crashes in the water and maybe spins, rolls, inverts...etc. i.e. if the kite is falling and it looks like its going to crash downwind and on the right side of the leading edge, grab the left line where the foam is and by the time the kite is almost to the water, the lines should be near tensioning again and the kite will make a fast recovery over the water. It's a sudden surge of power but that is one way I've delt with the issue.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:49 pm

thanks for the reply, never read it mentioned in any reviews... anyone else care to comment ? how stable is it compared to the 2013 ?

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:25 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”