Maui, Kanaha a shark attacked a unmanned kiteboard

Forum for kitesurfers
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Maui, Kanaha a shark attacked a unmanned kiteboard

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 pm

2300 people are reported missing in the USA everyday. I won't be surprised that some of those end up in the tummy of Sharks.

stakas
Frequent Poster

Postby stakas » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I don't wanna kill any shark. I just want to use scientific or whatever methods to harass the f*** out them so they can learn it: "human in the water= get the f*** out " I think it can be done. Sharks can do their sharky things at the middle of the pacific and we can do our kitesurfing near the shore.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:29 pm

Hawaiis wrote:2300 people are reported missing in the USA everyday. I won't be surprised that some of those end up in the tummy of Sharks.
I hear you. Not many like us who believe in the dreaded "land Shark" !

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Hawaiis wrote:2300 people are reported missing in the USA everyday. I won't be surprised that some of those end up in the tummy of Sharks.
..but you are just making shit up to support an argument of a highly hypothetical increase in shark attacks. That is disingenuous way of arguing...

just know I am not out to get you, but I think the arguments should be based on science and available data not hypothetical speculation, biased opinions, fears and non-truths.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:29 am

Jeez you really hate sharks!

This theory doesn't really make any sense. Don't most sharks let go after biting a human? What percentage of shark attacks leads to a shark swallowing someone whole with no trace? Even the deadly attacks are a bite and release it seems.

If you hate sharks so much, why not move somewhere with less sharks? Hawaii is probably the worst place to be! Maybe the Great Lakes are for you?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:49 am

http://touch.khon2.com/r1606/4e4a5f04/

Maui officials: German visitor bitten by shark on life support

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:17 am

I was just thinking I should move to Hood River but then I was reading about how much pollution is in that water. That doesn't sound so good either.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:26 am

We are much more likely to be hurt by our own kites than we are by a shark.

Good article on shark attacks - http://randolphguide.com/newstouse/x216 ... e-uncommon

WaveRider001
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Lanes, Mokuleia, Kitebeach
Style: Wave and Freestyle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby WaveRider001 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:13 am

stakas wrote:I don't wanna kill any shark. I just want to use scientific or whatever methods to harass the f*** out them so they can learn it: "human in the water= get the f*** out " I think it can be done. Sharks can do their sharky things at the middle of the pacific and we can do our kitesurfing near the shore.
But that´s exactly the problem. We (humans) destroy their natural feeding grounds (far offshore!!!) by fishing extensively with these huge commercial boats and nets! This is not sustainable!!!
The result is, that sharks are looking for other feeding areas and come closer to the shores. But that´s not their fault, isn´t it???

We have to respect the ocean, sealife and sharks because it´s their "world" and we have to bahave like "guest" in the ocean. Without sharks, the whole ocean would be in an "imbalance". This also means, not to support the big commercial fishing industry!

I feel very sorry for all victims of shark attacks, but their are much more other risks we don´t even talk about!

Respoect the ocean!
Joerg

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:34 am

WaveRider001 wrote:But that´s exactly the problem. We (humans) destroy their natural feeding grounds (far offshore!!!) by fishing extensively with these huge commercial boats and nets! This is not sustainable!!!
The result is, that sharks are looking for other feeding areas and come closer to the shores. But that´s not their fault, isn´t it???

We have to respect the ocean, sealife and sharks because it´s their "world" and we have to bahave like "guest" in the ocean. Without sharks, the whole ocean would be in an "imbalance". This also means, not to support the big commercial fishing industry!

I feel very sorry for all victims of shark attacks, but their are much more other risks we don´t even talk about!

Respoect the ocean!
Joerg
An overly hippie view of the issue, and probably no more than a small percentage of the problem. Sharks fill a niche in the ocean environment - which extends all the way to the beach. They don't live out in the depths way the hell out the middle of nowhere, like some redneck hill hermit who only comes into town when he runs out of moonshine and sheep . . .

Return to “Kitesurfing”