Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A doctor with kiting experience on this forum ?

Forum for kitesurfers
pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A doctor with kiting experience on this forum ?

Postby pj sofine » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:17 am

After years of intense medical training and participation in countless clinical studies , it's my expert opinion that you may simply be going completely bonkers! :dance2:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:59 am

Perhaps you need to fire up the most sexy kite thread and indulge in some "star wars" (han solo) prior to sleep.

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rido » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:01 am

it is not limited to kiting. it is more of physical activity such as overtraining or the proper term is over reaching.

take a break for a couple of weeks

stijn depauw
Rare Poster

Postby stijn depauw » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 am

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Really helpful and very funny all these comments !!
I'm really glad I posted my problem right here. What SSK describes sounds very familiar to me.
I don't suffer RLS but I do believe it works to be in shape, rather than only "weekend warrioring" as you put it. Another super advice ! All this will help for sure. Thanks a lot guys, guess I'm gonna catch some sleep right now...........
SSK wrote:I have a very similar sounding issue but not as severe as you describe. For me it is a mild form of Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS). If I do a hard day kiting or something like long distance running and my legs are fatigued, I cannot sleep. It is counter-intuitive because the more tired I am the more restless my legs are. The thing for me that works is to be in shape. So if I am running a lot or working out a lot then it does not seem to bother me as much. If I am just "weekend warrioring" it and not in good shape I notice it. If you do suffer from RLS there are a lot of medical and non medical treatments.
http://www.helpguide.org/life/restless_ ... me_rls.htm

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:38 am

a pillow earpiece and talkback radio - will bore u to sleep and not let your brain go wild.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 am

Has anyone recomended some Pot :)

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:49 am

Or maybe Yoga?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Or maybe pot , followed by yoga while doing some Han Solo Star Wars action. If anything he will have a lot more fun trying to sleep :D

But hey it's no joke though, as a suffer for many years of insomnia you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy unless you were trying to drive them insane for some spy shit info' as it sends you nuts. I remember losing the plot once and smashed every door in house, lucky they weren't solid ones!! Makes ya do some crazy stuff!!

Hit the clubs the chicks will be very impressed with your lasting power!! Line em up my good man!!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:54 pm

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:33 am

i have seen stuff like this before in my acupuncture practice. Usually there is a hormone issue at play here with the adrenal/pituitary axis being the primary culprit.

functioning normally the adrenals should fire up early in the morning upon waking, secreting higher levels of cortisol and in the evening adrenal output should be at its lowest.

in our modern society the adrenals are often on overdrive due to stress, caffeine, sugar, food allergies, etc and over time they become depleted. at this point it is common for the adrenal output to become reversed.....low in the morning and high at night.

i suspect that you may have crossed a threshold with your hormone imbalance. meaning, you likely have had some adrenal fatigue previous to you having this sleep problem. this would mean that you may have already had higher adrenal out put at night, but now when coupled with intense workouts/kiting/biking your adrenal output remains high throughout the evening making it impossible for you to fall asleep.

i would recommend you find a good naturopath to work with. get a adrenal stress profile done. its a saliva test and it charts cortisol levels throughout the day. with the right supplements and lifestyle modifications you can expect about 1-2 years before this thing will turn around. there are no quick fixes with changing adrenal function unfortunately.

Return to “Kitesurfing”