Local Beach: S.F. Bay Area
Style: all
Gear: Twin tips, surf boards, race boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Rebel 2014

Postby OldGuy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Caesar, if you made the Rebel a four line kite like the Fuse, then you would loose the steering preciseness the Rebel has over the Fuse. It's a trade-off..........fortunately you get to pick.........

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:23 pm

OldGuy wrote:Caesar, if you made the Rebel a four line kite like the Fuse, then you would loose the steering preciseness the Rebel has over the Fuse. It's a trade-off..........fortunately you get to pick.........
Hi mate,

The problem is that North is discontinuing the Fuse. The 2013 Fuse will be the last one... :cry:

Cheers
Caesar

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:22 am

Caesar wrote:I doubt there is any other kite out there with so much lift and hangtime...
RRD Obsession, Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Rise, Epic Screamer, Blade Trigger, Airush Varial X, Liquid Force NRG, Best Nemesis, Nobile 50Fifty, Cabrinha Crossbow.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:55 am

Oldnbroken wrote:
Caesar wrote:I doubt there is any other kite out there with so much lift and hangtime...
RRD Obsession, Ozone Edge, Ocean Rodeo Rise, Epic Screamer, Blade Trigger, Airush Varial X, Liquid Force NRG, Best Nemesis, Nobile 50Fifty, Cabrinha Crossbow.

IMHO....some of those kites jump very differently and are not even on par with each other, let alone the fuse, there is a gem or two on that list though. High aspect kites jump high but often let you down hard. The Fuse is different for some people, any good jumper can jump a kite high, but personal comfort takes it to the next level, I can not speak for Caeser, but I jump much higher on a kite I like and land well on..

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:15 am

Billy,
Yes, true for sure.
The Varial X and Nobile 50Fifty are in that C kite category that goes up and then down.
Trigger goes up good and has float, but not as good as a Rebel, and you like the Fuse jumps better than Rebel.
The Rise goes up good and good float, but the Rebel I had, went higher.
I see some pals on the Edge go looong but not as high as a few others on this list.
I've been told the Fuse is in a class by itself.
But people say that about the Obsession, Screamer, Nemesis, and Edge too.
You ever jumped on a Screamer?....they go very big and do it easily.
For me, the Screamer went biggest, Rebel was second, but I've not tried a Fuse.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:36 am

My two bobs worth.

The edge landings are the softest I've experienced out of the rebel and the screamer.

The screamer goes the biggest (although is one of the kites i didnt like the most as i found the power delivery really crude and unrefined) except....

The edge can be held down in stupid winds, where a slight movement up you just follow it...you go huge and long...but forget normal riding in those conditions it's stall then go.

I think given the same size, same rider, same board (at say the middle part of their wind range) the screamer goes the most vertical. Then the rebel then the edge as the edge recquires way better timing. But the edge beats them all for glide.

Never been on the fuse and I wish I had, as I know guys rate them highly.

Thing is to go massive on the edge (vertical) compared to some mentioned you really have to be at the 'edge' of the upper wind range, thing is the kite can handle it. But as I say the rest of the riding is comprimised. Only really finding that out now.

Yeh wish North would comment on why they are stopping this line hey. Musn't be enough sales to justify production, when more other big sellers can be produced in higher numbers. Don't know?

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:12 am

It's said the Rebel is a best seller.

I want to hear from Rebel riders about how awesome it is having the kite essentially tethered from that 5th line and in essence pivot or revolve around that single connection point. Therefore giving supreme control and steering.

Also about how the kite has good or great control even when depowered. Biggest wind range of any kite made? Best kite for gusty conditions?

I'm currently flying an old 2008 Slingshot T3 and this thing has some serious bad manners and traits.

Like during launching/landing and having almost no control when depowered. Dangerous for someone who is just starting out.

Also it has a situation it can get in where it pendulums and won't stop! Imagine this scene:

I crash in the water because I caught an edge on my giant board. The kite goes rocketing at top speed to the water going left. I counter that to make it not crash in the water and now it goes full speed to the right. I counter that and now it's going full speed back to the left! Very hard to make it stop and have had that scene happen more than once.

Another trait is what I call a "death dive" this kite will get into. This happens when the kite(9m) gets overpowered by the wind. The wingtips will start to buckle and the kite really, really wants to fly down to the water. I've had to reach out and grab an opposite line and pull it to force the kite to not want to dive into the water.

As soon as I get a little better at riding; I'm getting a Rebel. That's just things I've noticed from observing the Rebel flying. All other kites are just 4 line kites as far as I'm concerned.

I want to hear about others observations about how the 5th line Rebel has better traits than standard 4 line kites.

I've got an old Switch Element and this thing does not like gusts. I'm thinking 3 strut kites in general don't handle gusty conditions well?

If you've never flown a Rebel before; you really might be missing out. I think it really is that much better than just a standard dodgy 4 line kite.

I want every person who has ever flown a Rebel to post your opinions about it.

Have you flown all kites and now only fly Rebels because you know it is the best kite?
Or do you fly something that you feel is better? How and why? What makes it better? If I'm flying a Rebel all next year; I don't want to be missing out if there is something better out there.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:10 am

Man that was a fucking wierd post?? :o :o

Sounds like you have convinced yourself and all the other voices in your head the Rebel is the kite for you.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:47 pm

I had 2 Screamers for more than a year and after trying the 2013 Fuse, both Screamers are gone for sale to the local kite store.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:08 pm

The Rebel has great steering control even fully depowered with the bar sheeted out all the way. I like having no bridles and the fifth line safety.

Return to “Kitesurfing”