Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Well you think you have a harness, but you Don't

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Well you think you have a harness, but you Don't

Postby Laughingman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Justin. That is a 6" spreader bar just to put it in perspective. Also, the straps are loose. I would say they are attached in basically the same spot as any other harness. Once sinched down there is very little upward movement with hers and zero with my larger spreader bar.

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rotule » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Coleman does an incredibly awesome job with those, i can't wait until cristmas to get mine ordered :P
:naughty:

alpower
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alpower » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:43 am

Thinking of picking one up to help with the 2 to 3 days of lower back pain after a day on the water. Looking at the website it says you should add an inch to your waist size if you wear a wetsuit. It also gives you 2 different fabric options based on the same. What have people done that spend pretty much equal time on the water with and without neoprene (up to 5mm)?

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:21 am

If you want to use it with a mystic spreader be sure to have him put a 3rd "hold-down" strap on. It makes the hook stay down much better. But really that harness works much better with a sliding hook. Because the back support is very rigid and is molded to be centered on your back if gets pulled to one side by a non-sliding hook the bump on the harness that normally fits into the small of your back can pressure some muscles on the side of your spine (at least this happens for me) and it can be quite painful. With a sliding hook the harness does not rotate at all and works really well.

With a sliding hook there is minimal upward rotation even with two straps. With a non-sliding hook, (only tried mystic) the third strap does a good job to prevent upward rotation, but without it there is some upward pull that causes the spreader to dig in to my ribs a bit

joe_mgh
Rare Poster

Postby joe_mgh » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:42 am

alpower wrote:Thinking of picking one up to help with the 2 to 3 days of lower back pain after a day on the water. Looking at the website it says you should add an inch to your waist size if you wear a wetsuit. It also gives you 2 different fabric options based on the same. What have people done that spend pretty much equal time on the water with and without neoprene (up to 5mm)?
Coleman made my back mould against my skin and the harness fits fine with or without a wetsuit. I wear a 5/3 no worries... Perfect.

Justin Sane
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Justin Sane » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Laughingman wrote:Justin. That is a 6" spreader bar just to put it in perspective. Also, the straps are loose. I would say they are attached in basically the same spot as any other harness. Once sinched down there is very little upward movement with hers and zero with my larger spreader bar.
Thanks for the info

Return to “Kitesurfing”