Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

How do Z kite and Vector fit in?

Postby rtz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:23 am

If I were buying a Slingshot kite; my considerations would be the RPM and Rally. How does the Z kite fit into the Slingshot lineup? How is it placed and positioned?

http://www.slingshotsports.com/kite/products/kites

Cabrinha has a similar 3 strut kite; but why would one want it over a Switchblade?

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/kite/overview.html

Does anyone even own a Z kite; let alone; ever even flown a Z kite?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: How do Z kite and Vector fit in?

Postby edt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:38 am

z kite is an awesome first kite before you have specialized into airstyle, wakestyle or waves. The purpose of a z kite is an all around kite to be priced lower than the rally or rpm. So yeah it is sort of a beginner kite that people tend to start with and then later move over to the rally or rpm depending. rally is for waves, drifts great, the rpm is for wakestyle riders that don't want the pure c kite like the fuel. the z has incredible relaunch. I really like the Z and think it's not just for beginners but that's where it is placed in the slingshot lineup. It is a good all around kite very stable in the air and I like the simplicity of the kite especially the short no pulley bridle. disclaimer I have no affiliation with slingshot or any other kite manufacturer and these are all just my own opinions. I dont know the cabrinha lineup.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins
Has thanked: 0

Postby SSK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:58 am

Great description, just switch names.

The Vector is an awesome first kite before you have specialized into airstyle, wakestyle or waves. The purpose of a Vector is an all around kite to be priced lower than the Switchblade, Drifter, or Xbow. So yeah it is sort of a beginner kite that people tend to start with and then later move over to the Switchblade or Drifter depending. The Drifter is for waves, drifts great, the Switchblade is for wakestyle riders that don't want the more c kite like the Chaos. the Vector has incredible relaunch. I really like the Vector and think it's not just for beginners but that's where it is placed in the Cab lineup. It is a good all around kite very stable in the air and I like the simplicity of the kite especially the short no pulley bridle (for 2014). Disclaimer I have no affiliation with Cab or any other kite manufacturer and these are all just my own opinions. I dont know the Slingshot lineup.

Compared to the SB it is much cheaper, less range, less pop and hangtime. Relaunches easier, turns faster, softer more comfortable, little less bar pressure. Comfortable, easy to fly, does everything well. The SB is a more exciting for the more advanced rider.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:44 am

The Vector is a great kite and comes with Cabrihnas top of the line bar. The Vector does not have the up wind ability or the hang time of the SB, but it turns faster and relaunches better.
I do not believe the Z is in the same league as the Vector, performance or quality wise. The RPM from what I can see looks much closer in performance and quality and comes with slingshots best bar. Looking at the Vector and RPM side by side in the air and on the beach they look like that have a lot in common like three struts, high end bar , similar shape, square tips, etc. Both are excellent performing user friendly kites. Not everyone wants a kite that boost to the moon, and that includes intermediate and more advanced riders .Many folks I have spoke with prefer the Vector to SB in the smaller sizes.

I have seen both RPM and Vectors (2012 or 2013) advertised at very deep discounts lately..
Its a great time to buy a kite.

Good luck

windtzu
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby windtzu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:44 pm

I second Matt's reply. I have owned/flown the Switchblades and Vectors. The SB size for size has more power, goes upwind a little better (but the Vector is no slouch), and better hangtime. The Vector relaunches much better, pivot turns faster (although it isn't what I'd call a fast turning kite, but that's why I like in smaller sizes - don't want a kite that's too zippy), actually boosts quite nicely, average power compared to other kites I've flown, and is just a nice stable well behaved kite. It's not just for beginners. I like it in nine meters on down, but it's a great kite in any size.

If you can, demo the two kites (the Z and Vector). That's the best way to decide. It's a personal thing, like trying on shoes. Some will "feel" better than others.

Everyone has their favorites and I'd like to share mine...While your at it, try the Airush Lithium. As much as I liked the Vector, the Lithium I tried on for size felt "ahhh!" just right. More power, turns quicker, same bar pressure, shorter depower throw (great if you have short arms), same easy relaunch, same range on the top end and much better on the bottom end. The adjustable (Smart Bar) bar is pretty cool too; one bar for all of your kites in the line. It has just a little less upwind ability of the Vector, a subtle distinction, but it's not an issue (and the Switchblade, like other high aspect designs, are upwind machines). I get to where I need to go without a second thought.

The only challenge is price. Chances are the Vector and the Slingshot Z have closeouts that are hard to beat. I'm betting you're going to be happy with nearly any kite out there. Different designs always involve compromise, and there will be somethings you like about each. Enjoy!

Return to “Kitesurfing”