Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
snorr
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NP Surf Kite Golf Bag...Warning

Postby snorr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 pm

I recently purchased the NP Surf Golf bag for travel on the strong recommendation of the staff at Silent Sports in Toronto. They assured me that the bag was bomber.

I post this as a warning to anyone needing a large golf-style travel bag: stay away from the NP Surf. Multiple emails to NP Surf and Silent Sports have gone unanswered. I am not looking for anything but advice on repair, but neither could be bothered...

Anyway, on picking up my bag after its first flight, there is a big wear-hole in the corner. I can stick my thumb through this hole. It doesn't look torn or appear evident that something punctured it. It looks like it was rubbing up against another bag and just wore a big-ass hole right through the material.

For years I've travelled with all kinds of specialized and oddball shaped luggage, and never has anything lasted only one flight...one season of frequent flying maybe, but one trip???

Image[/url]
NP Surf Golf Bag by e6ce1ed65fed96764aed91edabfa0193, on Flickr

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Re: NP Surf Kite Golf Bag...Warning

Postby Johnny Rotten » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:24 pm

FLAME FOUL! :smash:

Just by looking at the material it appears to be heavy dense and abrasion resistant. This bag had the crap rubbed out of it and is suffering damage from heavy abrasion.
Does the material appear to be lighter weaker or less temperature resistant than other baggage materials? IF no, this is entirely related to it's handling

This is far more likely an airline issue not likely a bag issue, If you ware flaming ANYONE in this post please post up who you flew with and where you went. It's very likely the edge of this bag was rubbing or dragged for long distances either on a conveyor wedged in a manner where abnormal force was applied or drooping and rubbing the tire on a baggage handling cart. or dragged a long distance by some operator to produce that kind of damage.

As for repair. I suggest a bigass abrasion resistant patch sewn inside and outside. Use a bigass sewing maching with bigass thread.. Those guys at the shoe repair places at the mall are usually good dudes to hook you up for these kind of things for a low cost.

As for your shop and NP they should've hooked you up with at least this advice but you probably came at it similar to this post....blaming them and saying the bag was crap.....so they were less than helpful.......

Now if NP were a STELLAR company they would hook you up with at least a swatch of matching material to make it look stock after it's repaired. But alas that kind of customer service died long ago with the closure of hardware stores that were owned by your neighbor.....

I can mail you some big ass thread (sail repair thread) and you can sew it by hand if you're sew inclined.

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 pm

I would go after the air line for that. I've had some kite bags make it a few trips and some show up with missing parts and holes after the first flight. Luck of the draw when traveling. Lesson I learned, don't fall in love with the luggage and bring duct tape with. If I get a season of travel out of a golf bag, I feel that I'm doing good.

snorr
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby snorr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Yes the material appears to be weaker than other luggage I own, but not apparent until it gets some abrasion.

And no I didn't approach either company blaming them. You're just full of assumptions aren't ya?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Airlines have forms and will compensate you for abnormal bag damage like that. Just check their website or call up the baggage claim numbers. You should be covered for something...

Return to “Reviews”