Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Did you take intermediate or advanced lessons?

Forum for kitesurfers
Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Did you take intermediate or advanced lessons?

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 am

had some coaching

if i leaved in a place full of pros I would skip it and just let the crowd to push my ride, but in my local spot just 3 or 4 of us actually un-hook

a good thing with lessons is that you are pushed to ride hard and try new things - I´m usually so f-up after work that tend to hide behind stuff that I already know how to do.

in any case i found coaching more efficient when you are already close to land a trick, but are left without those small details that could make a difference, than if you start from zero.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I find myself in a similarly frustrating position to yourself, with the limited wind and water time i find it's not so much the learning of the trick because given a few hours on the water you can normally have something new learned by the end of your session, it's then when you don't get out for a few weeks aftawards that when you do you basically spend your session re-learning what you did before. When we get a decent batch of wind and i get out a few days on the trot is when i progress the most. With the odd few hours here and there it does make progressing difficult. Like the post on the previous page said... instead of coaching spend your money on a trip to somewhere where it blows everyday.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:20 pm

the idea behind intermediate / advanced rider lessons is not just to show you something new to add to your skills list, it is also to give you one of the best sessions of your life (and definitely a better session than anybody else at the same spot on the same day is gonna have).

we put our clients in premium wind and water conditions, they dont have to work upwind at all, our coaches can demonstrate everything (everything), we push the clients hard with the radios, usually do two client rest / demo / talk breaks, and generally wear every client out in a 2 hr session. and we take pictures and videos of the session, which is not only a collection of awesome in your face shots, its a helpful learning tool.

our beginner lessons are pretty good too.

PROKITE SOUTH PADRE

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 pm

kiteontario wrote:So this is directed at those of you who can do more than just jump high. If you can do back rolls, unhooked tricks and other fancy moves, did you learn on your own or take lessons?

I ask because with a busy schedule and wind that is blowing during the week while I'm working, it's touch and go to get out on the water. Some days "mowing the lawn" with the odd jump is all I need. But after a while I'm keen to move on.

It's hard to get in enough time on the water to practice something new when riding time is patchy. I wonder then if it's worth spending a few hundred bucks on lessons to have someone coach me as I crash and fail several times, but then finally figure out how to do some new trick(s), or struggle on my own over the course of several months ???
So, maybe I'm not qualified to answer because it sounds like we're at about the same skill level, but 'advanced' lessons shouldn't cost as much as introductory lessons--especially if you're using your own gear.

I was out in PEI earlier this summer and took one such lesson to improve the consistency of my jumps. It was $80 for an hour with a radio. I would have gotten more out of it but for dropping the kite between the lines in the middle of the session, failing to fix it on the water and having to return to the beach to reset the lines (which caused a big tangle because I was in a hurry and didn't wind them onto the bar--whoops). Still, I feel as though the experience was worth the money. I'm jumping bigger and more consistently. If I do blow a jump now, I know exactly what I did wrong thanks to the coaching.

That said, there's certainly value in learning on your own. And while I try to push my boundaries every time I'm out, I hope to speed things along with the aid of some technological toys.

Still, if I have an opportunity to take a lesson in a good location for a decent price; I'll do it.

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards

Postby madmax7 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:48 pm

I like taking intermediate lessons, But its hard to get a "good" instructor. The right instructor makes all the difference.

Like most, during the summer I'm lucky to get 2 days in the water and I feel privileged if I get a 9M day!

I try to go to high wind destinations for a few weeks a year and find an instructor there. They fine tune my skills, correct errors and I try learn a new trick.

I find it saves me time and I get to get tips throughout the week I,m there. Sometimes they even arrange "downwinders".

The qualifier is finding a good instructor, at intermediate + level you need more than a guy (or Gal) that's a "good kiter"!

Also, I don't get hurt as much, thus get to kite longer!

Max

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:57 pm

The learning really comes when you get lots of consecutive days on the water. If you are only able to get out 1 day a week, the progression will be very slow but with 2 weeks on the water every day, your progression will rocket significantly. Pick a windy place for your next long holiday and give er.
It also helps to have a goal. Before you start your session visualize what you want to do in your mind. Then find a place where you can do short tacks and practice the move over and over on both sides until it is all muscle memory and you don't need to think about it any longer.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:51 pm

The big difference between learning tricks on your own and having lessons is learning things the right way. A coach can see what your doing wrong and tell you so you can correct it. It's easy if you have people that can do this for you. Most spots don't and you have everyone just sending the kite to do back and frontroll's.

It's your money, time, progression so if you think you can get something out of it just try.

chilidip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach & Pier 1
Favorite Beaches: Holly Beach, Texas
Style: One handed Bucking Bronco
Gear: Slingshot REV 11m
Eclipse NaNo 6m
Brand Affiliation: None :-(

Postby chilidip » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Did I ever take a lesson - No, I studied videos

Did it take along time to learn new tricks - Yes and No

Once you are at a point in kiting where you understand board and kite dynamics and how they work together... Yes, watching videos is a great way to learn new moves, given you have the time/conditions to go out and learn them on your own.

For the recreational kiter/weekend warrior time is limited. You want to make the most outta your time, get an advanced lesson for $99 an hour and learn proper technique and control. With proper technique, body awareness and kite control, mastering a new trick just leads to another trick etc. Kiting progression is about STEPS. You can't really skip steps in kiteboarding and continue to advance in a safe manner... Right, you dont try kiteloops, if you cant do an air transition :lol:

South Padre Island Kiteboarding is a fantastic place to practice your new moves with great flatwater & waves! Our fall season is Oct - Dec. If you are an upwind rider our advanced lessons are $99

Come see us this Fall :cool2: Aloha, Jason 956-772-1098 www.spikite.com

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am

chilidip wrote:... Right, you dont try kiteloops, if you cant do an air transition :lol:
...why not? I've only just started playing about with transitions recently, been doing hooked/unhooked kiteloops for ages now.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:52 am

sijandy wrote:
chilidip wrote:... Right, you dont try kiteloops, if you cant do an air transition :lol:
...why not? I've only just started playing about with transitions recently, been doing hooked/unhooked kiteloops for ages now.
Me Also ; was taught to do a Kite-loop ---- Years ago, as a way
to get on-plane in very Very Light wind !!
And it Works.

Also, you can actually De-power your kite in a kite-loop by simply pulling
on the break-line, instead of using the bar ; that decreases the diameter
of a normal kite-loop and the inside tip will actually go backwards. The center of
rotation is about where the second strut is located on my 2010 Edge.

I don't have ankles that work , so i was taught That one because i use the
sheeting in/out on the bar for most All my balance.

You could learn Kite-loops by leaving your board on the beach and do a
body-drag ; FUN way to launch yourself a few feet out of the water.
But LEARN that in (("LIGHT")) wind .

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”