Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

North whip or nugget ?

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:37 pm

I mainly ride a Shinn TT, but would like something else as well, to make life more interesting. The nugget sounds great from reviews, but will the wide tail be a bit bouncy in small crap chop which we get, (as opposed to small swell)? The whip looks ideal, we only ever have small mushy waves here (Camber uk) I am not looking to use it in high winds, as the TT does that fine. Thoughts if anyone has used both, pros cons of each?

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Re: North whip or nugget ?

Postby piccio » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 pm

I owned nugget last year and tried whip once so just little sensations.did not like nugget at all ,super fast planing but then no more! it seem does not gain speed ( do not like four fins) does not keep the rail the few times I used with ultra small waves,definitly not very useful (for me) .A mix between a truck and a banana!!!! sold after 3 -4 session
76 kg used with rebel 8
tried whip (do not remember the size) about one hour in flat water ,it seemed real compared to nugget.
I mean whip (some hard on chops) can be used with more fun with more wind and more waves(the friend who had it used all summer all conditions.
whip needs more or less one size bigger kite and one or two knots more but once passed this limit gives much more.
Used both very little, cannot say much more ,I will choose whip any doubt
ciao

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 pm

I have the Whip 5'6" from 2012 and I use it for primarily strapped in choppy, rollers, lake type sailing. I also have a 5'11" standard Thruster (Doc Lausch Aviso) for unstrapped. I also have a 5'7" "Fish" surfboard for light wind and small waves. It is somewhat similar in it's wide tail/width to Nugget.

The cool thing about the Whip is how good it jumps and plays around. I can take it out in just about any conditions. I have used my Fish in bigger wind conditions and it can get going too fast. It can give me some decent board smack as well. So that board is relegated for light wind/small wave use.

So for me I'm with the previous poster. The Whip really lets you "feel" the water and play around in it. It's a surfboard. Compared to the Thruster it moves quicker side to side and jumps better since it is strapped but also because it is short and light in weight. The Thruster excels when the wave is steep and the speed picks up. It is very stable. 5'11" helps a lot in that.

The only question is which size Whip. I'm 5'8"/165 lbs. and I got the 5'6" for maneuverability and jumping. If I didn't want to jump it I would have gotten the 5'8". The 5'8" would help in the lulls. Hope this helps...

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:54 pm

I have a Whip 5.6' (and a Shinn Dundee). Have not tried the Nugget but I have enjoyed the Whip from 15 to 35 kn measured at beach, so it's a very versatile board. It likes to be ridden aggressively with lots of lean into turns and back foot pressure and keeps speed very well when turning, so ideal for knee to head high waves. Great board.

Only thing is that since I have the Dundee I use the Whip a lot less.... :naughty:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby coleman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:22 pm

I bought a nugget to replace a sector and it has become my goto board for any condition. Really playful, great upwind, very close to sector in light wind.

Super smooth in chop and really fun for carving around lakes, going way downwind and back upwind in a few tacks. Can't say enough good things about it.

My other boards are a 510 wam and a shinn monk.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks guys, nice feedback. Think I might go for Whip, although either sounds good. I do like that whole 'feel' thing. Although the Nugget looks a whole lotta fun, from replies I think Whip will be more versatile and still fun. My Dundee will be my go to board, just love it, but fancy the different ride a Whip/nugget will give me.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 pm

coleman wrote:I bought a nugget to replace a sector and it has become my goto board for any condition. Really playful, great upwind, very close to sector in light wind.

Super smooth in chop and really fun for carving around lakes, going way downwind and back upwind in a few tacks. Can't say enough good things about it.

Thats seems an ideal set up ! I cannot justify/ afford three boards though :(

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:19 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:
coleman wrote:I bought a nugget to replace a sector and it has become my goto board for any condition. Really playful, great upwind, very close to sector in light wind.

Thats seems an ideal set up ! I cannot justify/ afford three boards though :(
I approve Coleman it is my go to board for LW....insurance to do whatever and return upwind easily
I agree that if you cannot afford 3 boards than you should get a Whip only
5'8" Whip will have one knot more low end possibility over the 5'6" if you are around 75kg like me

@Piccio... 8m2 Rebel and Nugget is not a good kite to board ratio this is why you did not like it
@Markchatwin...a 5'7" Fish does not compare to Nugget...fish tails are not efficient for LW

I have no more TT's
I have 3 North surfboards....Kontact...Whip...Nugget
Each board is matched to the kite size that works best

Nugget 2013 5'0" x 21".....Core XR3 LW 19m2
Whip 2011 5'7"x 18 5/8".....Rebel 12m2 and 10m2
Kontact 2010 5'9" x 16 7/8"....Rebel 8m2 and 6m2......and a 5m2 for those crazy days :crazy: :surf:

OldGuy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: S.F. Bay Area
Style: all
Gear: Twin tips, surf boards, race boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby OldGuy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Interesting to hear peoples response, because they are two entirely different boards.

The Whip has a boat load of rocker and will turn on a dime. It's designed for medium winds.

The Nugget has a much flatter faster rocker and is designed for the lightest of winds.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 pm

I have to disagree SupaEz. Or perhaps you have never seen the "Fish" surfboard I own. It is this board:

http://www.waveridersurfboards.com/cata ... p-433.html

I actually have the 5'8" version of this surfboard which actually measures in at 5'7". Though the tail is a different shape than the Nugget the surface area and flatness have to be comparable. Without trying to quantify how low this Xanadu Wave Rocket goes it is truly light wind specific. You can basically stand on it and it doesn't sink. It needs a little forward motion and it goes. I owned this and the Airush Sector 60 at the same time and couldn't wait to sell the Sector 60. I bought the Sector 60 for light wind and I believe the Wave Rocket to be superior because via riding strapless I could make the fine tuned feet adjustments to maximize planability. Also while turning in exceptionally light winds I could gybe it better and the board volume being bigger offered more flotation. Plus it was mounds safer without the dagger fins of the Sector 60.

Also on page 4 of this thread there's a guy (Monkey Air) who owns a school who swears by this board as the ultimate light wind weapon:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2364785&start=30

So maybe you were thinking of a different type Fish than this monster Fish twin keel that I have.

Return to “Kitesurfing”