Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Footstrap size and position

Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Footstrap size and position

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:49 pm

dwhite468 wrote:tautologies, cheers for the tips.

When you say heels should be off the side of the board, roughly how far? One thing I often struggle with is my heels dragging in the water and pulling the board round (usually end up in near crash moment!)

Is this just because I’m not riding the fins enough or are my feet two far out? I have a feeling it’s that I’m just not pushing hard enough on the fins, I see videos of the top boys going hard and their heels are off the side like you say but the board is riding slightly out of the water. I can do this but not very consistently.... I guess it more practise, practise, practise!
Just note I am no expert at this...so take it for what it is worth.

There are a lot of variables at play here. Good fins will definitely make a difference. They will get you a much stabler ride for sure and the only time I would have problem with feet in the water was when the board came unbalanced. I have ridden my board with some proto fins that made the board feel crazy..they were too soft and it made the board jump.

how wide is your board? The wide ones I have ridden have been sitting a lot better down..and so riding flat becomes easier. I imagine trying to ride the opposite fin. On earlier boards I have had the center of my foot on the rail..and just toes in the footstrap. Now with the fins and the toe pads I don't have to and it makes a lot of difference.

I'm hoping to get a session in the morning and can try to pay better attention to where my feet are.

Ronnie interesting set up. Do you feel you get enough pressure on the fins that way? Your back straps are way in there, but that build up under the toes looks awesome.
On my old board I considered moving the straps all the way out, and create a bump under my feet. ..but I ended up selling it and getting the one with the new nose rocker.

:-)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:20 am

[quote="tautologies]
Ronnie interesting set up. Do you feel you get enough pressure on the fins that way? Your back straps are way in there, but that build up under the toes looks awesome.
On my old board I considered moving the straps all the way out, and create a bump under my feet. ..but I ended up selling it and getting the one with the new nose rocker.

:-)[/quote]

I haven't tried it with the pads yet, but the back straps are using the outermost mounting holes but with two screws per end of strap, so I could move them out slightly if I had to use one screw per end. I'm using three 25cm fins, so I hope it will work OK. No wind here yet again - story of this year so far.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:48 am

I had a fantastic session on the 14 draft and raceboard today. I think that was as fast as I have ever ridden...solid kite.

Days like this is something every racer should experience...Kailua..wind about 13 -17 mph...glassy bright turquoise waters...sigh.

Either way I was trying to pay attention to my heels and I think they are about 1/3 off the board. When the board is flat there is no spray that hits my feet. The only time is if I miss the strap on a tack and have to move the foot...it is a PITA. Better get the tack. Good times!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:51 am

Oswald Smith has his rear straps inboard on this Airush board he was using in the Slalom event in Turkey, so it seems suitable for across the wind riding. My board is 59cm wide.

In this video Paolo even uses the rear strap on the downwind rail of the board, but uses all 3 rear straps.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (180.99 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:53 pm

nice. maybe i'll try to attach that center strap and see how it works. :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”