All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Unexpected telltale results
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Flaps are definitely not necessarily "slotted" :naughty:

In public transportation and for landing purposes, yes, they are (can be) slotted to sacrifice performance in order to gain easy handling and safety.

But many gliders use really efficient flaps, buried perfectly into the wing, without any "open" things to cause drag and parasite drag.

I prefer these :thumb:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:11 pm 
Medium Poster

eree wrote:
look at the nature, do any of the flying species have those slots or no central support structure (strut)?

When I look at bird wing and feathers I see controlled air passing between 3 layers of different length feathers from lower to upper surface, similar what slots do.

I even found another picture naming such feather feature as a slots. Same picture compared high ar wings like albatross to high speed like hawks. Just ggl it.

If you doubt slots behaviour in general then you doubt the findings of NASA et all. There are many great videos of wings in wind tunnels with slots and flaps configuration. How maximum AoA for particular airfoil is affected, stall and lift characteristics etc.

About venturi, it probably works if it is tuned correctly. But if it allows 5 degrees more AoA before stall I think it is not easy task to test when kiting. Taping venture closed will also change speed polar of airfoil so when kiter is jumping it must be flown slightly different. Naturally the kiter is interested in final outcome, lift, but to get the optimal out is not easy task. And remember, if you are seeking lift max, flying speed slower or faster than speed at lift max will drop the lift coefficient.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

MikeYQM wrote:
I dont have a OR kite.

OK I got that wrong. Well at least you've got some wind tomorrow, enjoy!
cheers, Rudo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:

In public transportation and for landing purposes, yes, they are (can be) slotted to sacrifice performance in order to gain easy handling and safety.

But many gliders use really efficient flaps, buried perfectly into the wing, without any "open" things to cause drag and parasite drag.

8) Peter

Your absolutely correct on this Peter ; i was saying that it would be Unwise
to rule Out the possibility that this technology "Can" be instigated into our kites.
I'm saying the concept needs More work.

When Ya think about it , we haven't even used a Flap on our kites , (slotted or otherwise);
and I Know for a FACT they work, cause i have them on my HG !!

& YES , i also can fly the sailplanes that have flaps integrated into there systems, and
they work quite well , (with And without the slotted feature). -------------blanik sailplane...

Honest ----- i'm NOT trying to be Rude, especially to a Guy with your expertise. I would
be Sad if you thought otherwise !!!

Bille

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter

Extremely high AR those wings, aren't they?

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5