Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force M-80 (16m)used package - good price?

Forum for kitesurfers
SuddenStop
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: None
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force M-80 (16m)used package - good price?

Postby SuddenStop » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

I am new to the sport and got a line on a Liquid Force M-80 (16m), pump, bar, lines, harness and board. Used...online you can get that package for $999....whats a good used price to buy this package for? Should I get details on the board?

Thanks to all those that help!

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Re: Liquid Force M-80 (16m)used package - good price?

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:07 pm

please dont buy that kite, 1 thats a rip off, 2 i just googled it and its one of those old C kites so it will hurt u as a beginner, 3 hit the search button, 4 take lessons

save your money dude, talk to people on the beach, whoever is trying to sell u that kite is a scumbag

Gioro_T
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Various
Location: They don't call them the GREAT Lakes for nothin'...

Postby Gioro_T » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Good thing you got on this forum to ask.

Don't ! Definitely do not make the mistake of buying this garbage !

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks

Postby southflorida » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:46 pm

its a c kite - minus for learning

its quite big - minus for learning, it'll punish you hard in anything over 15 knots

minimal depower - minus, learning or not

relaunch - LF says the 5th line makes it easy to relaunch...maybe...but a beginner shouldn't be expected to deal wtih a 5th line with everything else going on

what year? unknown, seems LF made them to at least 2010 from a simple search...check the emergency release, betcha it's the old kind. Read this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2355290

it's a c lite - some love them, but guaranteed those who do are advanced intermediate or experts

most c kites are in the 12 m range or lower, almost never see one that big anymore, for a reason I'm sure

Gioro_T
Medium Poster

Postby Gioro_T » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:08 pm

It's a '05-06 gen C-kite; pfft ! Forgedabout it !!

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:26 pm

Just sold the same kite in size 12m in great condition with bar and lines for $50.00. Some times people try the sport, don't get into it, store the gear for years and think it is still worth what they paid for it. It would be great to know what board and harness go with it but you can get a much better deal on much newer gear for 1/2 the price.

Buyer beware!! Bad deal!

Gioro_T
Medium Poster

Postby Gioro_T » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Yep; fifty bucks sounds about right for a decent-condition M-80.

Bryden
Medium Poster

Postby Bryden » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:03 pm

I learned on these kites... 2006/7 maybe... 9m/12m/16m... they were horrible. Bought a Havoc after these and kicked myself for not ditching them sooner.

SuddenStop
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: None
Gear: None

Postby SuddenStop » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Haha, I thought so...I met this guy in a bar and he started talking about it and how good it was. he was asking $1800. The deal is that I am in Thunder Bay, Ontario. We have a limited kite surfing community that call themselves Superior Kitesurfing that go out on Lake Superior. If you want lessons you need to have your own kite sort of thing. Any good suggestions for a beginner in what i should be looking for in decent package that will allow me to learn on the big lake (Superior) and allow me to progress.

Thanks for the help so far.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:06 pm

I just made this post in another thread.

I understand that you need to get your own gear for lessons, but you're still better off to learn the kite handling with a small kite before attaching yourself to a big one. Getting the kite handling skills first will also help you avoid destroying whatever full-size kite you eventually end up buying.

As an aside, it's getting a little late in the season to start learning--especially if you don't have a good wetsuit already. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that you might need to temper your expectations a bit. The upshot is that snowkiting is the best training you can have before getting out on the water, and you'll have ample opportunity for that soon enough. The foils I mention in that other post are great for both training in a field, and screaming across the snow on a blustery day.

As for the big kite, ask the locals what their main size is and look for something to match. You'll want a 4-line SLEI/Bow/Delta shape with 'good depower range' and 'easy relaunch'. For the board, you'll want something a little larger to get started. Then you'll need a harness and a wetsuit. I also consider an impact/flotation vest or a PFD and a helmet to be required equipment. Even if you find some stuff used, expect to spend almost $2000.

This kiteboarding calculator is a good place to start to get an idea of what gear sizes you should be looking at.

Whatever 'deals' you find, remember that you can get a brand-new (2012) kite (plus bar, lines, pump, bag, etc.) for just over $700 + tax from Silent Sports. I'm not a fan of the Cabrinha bar from that year, but what a deal.

So, keep that one in mind. This used Crossbow they have for sale might be a tiny bit expensive for its vintage, but they do an inflation test on all the used kites they sell, and I'm sure they wouldn't send anything out the door with worn bridle lines--Which are only two of the things you have to look out for when buying used gear.

For the beginner, there's a risk associated with used gear: it's tough to know what to look out for; and you could get screwed with a poorly performing kite. You'd probably have to tune the bar, etc. etc. etc. The benefit is that if you kill the thing, you haven't spent a ton on it. I'm a fan of buying close-out gear from the previous season, it's new so you know it will work--just not the latest and greatest, and can usually be found at a good discount.

Really though, get the trainer first and fly it. It will give you the healthy respect you need to have for the kite before you put a 12m death machine into the air.

Cheers!

Return to “Kitesurfing”