Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Switchblade quiver advice

Postby markymarc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59 pm

I had both the 2012 and 13 SB. Lowend 2013 less, but high end better than 2012 SB....very good with lot's of depower!

If you weigh around 80kg you can keep it to at least 35 knots. Low end from around 18 knots is my own experience...

Hope this helps.. :bye:

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:53 am

8 for sure!

rocktor
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rocktor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 am

markchatwin wrote:Hey Rocktor! You have the Mako King so you have pretty good planability. Let's assume you get the 8m. The King will assist you when the wind hits the lighter side of 8m conditions. But if Hatteras goes off and blows steady 30mph then I believe you will be overpowered and skimming along with that King flying your 8m kite high in the sky to survive. Plus though you can "hold down" an 8m in 6m conditions is it really fun?

Remember in April all our experienced riders, heavy and light, male and female were zooming to REAL to grab any 6m they could find. Slice had to borrow someone's 6m and he almost always rides a 14m! Rodanthe blew out of 6m kites like power generators blew out of Home Depot the day before Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast.

But I've been to Hatteras several times in October and it never has hit the heights of my April trips so there is a gamble here.

So would a 9/7m quiver work or just an 8m? I vote you go with the 8m and try to get a guy in your house with a 6m who would loan it to you. In those crazy conditions trading on and off with someone to launch and land you is pretty cool :wink:
As always, your advice is highly valued Mark. I am going to start looking for an 8. Btw the forecast is making me depressed.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 pm

Yeh man - historically there is a lull at this time of year. It's frustrating to have the "bug" for new gear at a time when there's no kiting. But when the Hatteras trip arrives in October it's cool to be totally ready...

Return to “Kitesurfing”