and same kind of box in uk:

http://www.kitesurfingfins.co.uk/Category-299/FIN-BOXES

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mini Tuttle Box

Postby shawn13 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Thanks Guys!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:21 pm

Can't help being curious - why do you want to use the mini-tuttles? These were pretty popular before 2011 but then - all of a sudden - all kitesurfing boards manufacturers dumped it in favor of FCS or Futures. Nowadays it's a mission impossible to find any spare/replacement fins! Recently I've got my hands on an awesome brand new surfboard, but it's a 2010 with mini-tutles and let me tell you - I was spitting :angryfire: while trying to find a set of spare fins for traveling as the last thing I want is to be stuck in a middle of nowhere with a broken fin. At the end it was easier to get a set of mini-tuttle==>FCS adapters and some FCS fins (with a huge selection to choose from), especially after TFC quoted me over 175$ for a set. There are still some closeouts out there, but as far as I'm concerned mini-tuttle is a dead end.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:46 pm

I currently have a sector which already has mini tuttle fins. So I will just swap the fins to test my prototype.

Im not sure how mini tuttles are dead if airush and more recently Cabrinha (2014 Alias) are still using the boxes?

You make a valid point tho if i want to use large fins. Ill look into other options.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Well, my understanding is that the mini-tuttle along with the full-size tuttle boxes are the sturdiest fin-boxes on the market - hence these make a lot of sense for race-boards and boards with really long fins like Sector or Alias. For the rest FCS and Futures are a lot simpler for both manufacturers and end-users.

Unfortunately for "regular" surfboards, the mini-tuttle was dumped despite the fact that a broken fin - in case of the impact with a reef - makes a lot more sense that a ripped out fin-box. But kiteboarding companies need to stimulate the sales after all... don't they?

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:40 pm

FCS and Future only work up to a certain size. The total area of the fin determines how much total force can be applied to the fin box in a given turn. For example, if a test was done where a board would be turned "X" sharp, a smaller fin would extert less force on the fin box than a bigger fin. Eventually, mini-Tuttles aren't enough and that is where the standard Tuttle box comes in. You might be able to imagine a race fin with FCS tabs would break off the tabs in a hard turn.

So, the size of the fin determines what strength fin box is needed.

- Stafford

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:47 am

Anybody know a good USA source for the adapters that allow FCS fins in the mini tuttle boxes?
I'm looking at a 2011 SS Dialer that has the mini tuttle boxes/fins, but reluctant to buy for the reason Alexey stated.
Thanks.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alexeyga » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:45 pm

The shop where I've got my adapters doesn't seem to have 'em anymore, but these guys still do:

http://www.surfindustries.com/shop/us/s ... n-adapter/

And these guys (in Canada though) still seem to have the original SS fins in stock:

http://www.silentsports.com/store/produ ... -Fin-Pack/

"Unfortunately" I've only found them after getting a set of FCS fins with adapters.

Return to “Kitesurfing”