Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Support your local shop . . . ?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:21 am

Get outa here!

Slingshot Space Pickle RRP is $699 on the Slingshot page - I assume that includes a fairly nice mark-up for a dealer . . .

How about the price here in Japan, I hear you ask? From my local shop?

Well, it's ­­­¥134,200 . . . at current exchange rates, that makes it $1,373 and change.

How can that price possibly be justified?

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Support your local shop . . . ?

Postby southflorida » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:32 am

wow, you are right

Could your shop be quoting you the SUP version of the Space Pickle? The price of the Space Pickle SUP board in the US is in the $1199-$1249

naming sure is confusing, both the kite board and SUP are named Space Pickle

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:33 am

Well I dunno what the tax levels in Japan is, but I know for another market..by the time you have added tax, shipping and customs that would easily be the price.

..this is not meant as a defense..but I think there are quite a few costs that would be different.
If the market is smaller they order fewer items which would make the per item shipping higher....tax is not included in US price...is it in Japan?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:04 am

It's the 5' one . . . the description makes me 90% sure it's the kiteboarding version.

Tax? 10% sales tax, usually included in the price.
Shipping? I was quoted $300 to send a surfboard from the US by courier.
Customs? I paid $20 for the last big-dollar bought-from-a-shop item I imported.

Market is smaller, sure; but when you're handling all the product for one company, you're not importing just one board at a time, are you?

Also, Naish Digit bindings - $150 in the US, $290 here. Seems to consistently be a huge mark-up.

It's even "funnier" when you consider that until maybe 6 months ago, the exchange rate was about 60 yen to the US$, making those prices almost 4x more expensive than US RRPs!!!

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:20 am

So you are upset with your shop because your country charges a higher tax? I believe the 2013 SS Space Pickle 5.0 is $699.00 and the 2014 is $869.00 (I think). The shop may be quoting on the 7'4" or 8'6" which is $1249.00 and $1299.00. Not sure but you should make sure. Shops and all other retail outfits need to make money. Shipping is not free also. Shipping an SUP board from Califonia to let's say Florida will be @ $100.00. That cost is usually not added to the price unless ordered specifically. So the shop most likely eats that cost.

Are you upset when buying a car and they up charge 30-40% for the sale price?

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:45 am

That is a pretty bad markup on a good board.

I'm curious what local shops sell Naish kit for in your area, I find that Naish a very strict with the prices that shops are allowed to sell so it would be an interesting comparison to check out the price of a Naish Fish or Global there vs. the $1100 you'd pay in the US.

Also note that Real wants $879 for that same board that kite-line is offering for the MSRP so there might be something else going on there.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:59 am

noel wrote:So you are upset with your shop because your country charges a higher tax? I believe the 2013 SS Space Pickle 5.0 is $699.00 and the 2014 is $869.00 (I think). The shop may be quoting on the 7'4" or 8'6" which is $1249.00 and $1299.00. Not sure but you should make sure. Shops and all other retail outfits need to make money. Shipping is not free also. Shipping an SUP board from Califonia to let's say Florida will be @ $100.00. That cost is usually not added to the price unless ordered specifically. So the shop most likely eats that cost.

If you read any of the OTHER posts, you'd know that:
It IS the 5' kiteboarding version and I got the US price off slingshotsports.com
Sales tax here is 10%
Shipping from the US by courier is ~$300. (Over-night courier from the J-store to here is about $20)

Consider, I buy a Pickle from the US, pay the courier, pay customs . . . it'll cost me about US$1,100 max. That's with the present almost 1:1 exchange rate :o

What cars are you buying and what optional upgrades are you getting? The mark-up on the last car I bought was . . . 0% :lol:

Actually, it was more like -3% cos I got an insurance discount ;)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:02 am

Slappysan wrote:That is a pretty bad markup on a good board.

I'm curious what local shops sell Naish kit for in your area, I find that Naish a very strict with the prices that shops are allowed to sell so it would be an interesting comparison to check out the price of a Naish Fish or Global there vs. the $1100 you'd pay in the US.

Also note that Real wants $879 for that same board that kite-line is offering for the MSRP so there might be something else going on there.
I was looking at the Naish Hero 140 to replace my lost board.

As I said, the Digits were $280 (vs $150) and IIRC the board itself was $700. It was about $100 cheaper to buy from the US . . . I can check the price list next time I'm in the shop.

Also, I bought a new set of lines for my Cabrinha - worked out $50 per line - $200 for a set. And all I asked for was a price quote :roll:

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:05 am

Kamikuza wrote:
noel wrote:So you are upset with your shop because your country charges a higher tax? I believe the 2013 SS Space Pickle 5.0 is $699.00 and the 2014 is $869.00 (I think). The shop may be quoting on the 7'4" or 8'6" which is $1249.00 and $1299.00. Not sure but you should make sure. Shops and all other retail outfits need to make money. Shipping is not free also. Shipping an SUP board from Califonia to let's say Florida will be @ $100.00. That cost is usually not added to the price unless ordered specifically. So the shop most likely eats that cost.

What cars are you buying and what optional upgrades are you getting? The mark-up on the last car I bought was . . . 0% :lol:
I have worked for kite/surf shops for almost 15 years and for Ford Motor Co. for years before that building trucks, i know a little. Did you ask the shop why such a high mark up if you know how much it should cost? I don't know the situation there and unless someone is from there, how would we know? Are there any other vat or duties?

As for the car thing. If you think the manufacturing plants build the cars for the same price as they sell it to the dealer, you are naive.

Why ask for help on a forum if you are not willing to listen to any opinions or answers?

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:46 am

Kamikuza wrote:Market is smaller, sure
this

Return to “Kitesurfing”