Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cab Switchblade Quiver for a Larger Rider

Forum for kitesurfers
NCWater
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wrightsville Beach, NC (U.S.A.)
Style: Freeride
Gear: In the market
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cab Switchblade Quiver for a Larger Rider

Postby NCWater » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:25 am

I am trying to make a final decision on a 2014 Cabrinha Switchblade quiver. Quick facts about me:

- I am a beginner with four water lessons under my belt. This is my first kite purchase.
- I weigh 198 pounds or 90 kilos.
- I will be riding a Shinn RED 141 x 44.
- Wind conditions here on the southeast coast of North Carolina (U.S.A.) are typically15 to 20 MPH (but sometimes higher especially in the Fall and Spring).

I have gotten some great advice especially from my instructor. I wanted to ask some Switchblade riders their opinion of what would be the best kite combination for me (i.e., two or three kite quiver). Some suggestions I have received:

- Go with a two kite quiver of 14m and 11m or 10m and then decide later about adding a 8m.
- Go ahead NOW and buy a three kite quiver in 14m / 11m / 9m or 8m configuration or 14m / 10m / 8m.
- I am concerned that the 8m kite won't get as much use as a 9m plus the large gap between 14m and 10m.

I have been told that the 2014 Switchblade has more low end range.

I would appreciate your input. Thanks very much!

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Re: Cab Switchblade Quiver for a Larger Rider

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:48 am

Hi NCWater,

I'm a Cabrinha dealer and know the SB's really well and you are on the right track. First and foremost, I hope you support your local dealer and instructor. They will appreciate it.

Regarding the kites, you can get great range and save a few bucks by going 14m, 11m and 8m.

14m, 10m is a larger gap that can be hard to fill at times. It can be done, but the 14m, 11m and 8m is a really good quiver. Then add a 6m if you ever ride when it's nuking.

Hope this helps,

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:08 am

If there are lighter days, maybe a 17m contra, then the 14 and 11. Stay safe and stay out of the 8m winds until you have more experience.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:51 am

The 14/11 is a good quiver to start with. New riders need more power to get going. Experienced riders ride faster and generate more apparent wind=more power. My guess you'll be able to ride this two kite quiver from 15 to the high 20s...so my advice would be to hold off on that third kite for now. Later you;ll be in a better position to decide if you want a larger kite like a 17 Contra or a smaller kite...maybe a 9m
steve

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Rido » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:52 am

experienced1 wrote:The 14/11 is a good quiver to start with. New riders need more power to get going. Experienced riders ride faster and generate more apparent wind=more power. My guess you'll be able to ride this two kite quiver from 15 to the high 20s...so my advice would be to hold off on that third kite for now. Later you;ll be in a better position to decide if you want a larger kite like a 17 Contra or a smaller kite...maybe a 9m
steve
you think so for 15-20s?

I guess every beginner will vary. I personally was a pansy about power until I started launching and riding on my own. Once I felt the feeling of being slightly overpowered it was amazing and how much easier it would be to cruise.

according to the chart and just increasing the kite size to match your weight it looks like a 12 would be good for 15-20 and an 8/9 would be good for higher than that.

I would ask locals what they ride imo

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 pm

+1
Seems like a good combo.

experienced1 wrote:The 14/11 is a good quiver to start with. New riders need more power to get going. Experienced riders ride faster and generate more apparent wind=more power. My guess you'll be able to ride this two kite quiver from 15 to the high 20s...so my advice would be to hold off on that third kite for now. Later you;ll be in a better position to decide if you want a larger kite like a 17 Contra or a smaller kite...maybe a 9m
steve

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 am

I just demoed a 2014 Switchblade 12 and im amazed of the power! switched over from a 2013 Chaos 13 and it had more grunt..
Did not have so much time on it tough but it seemed solid, a bit more responsive and just cool!
Tried adjusting the bar and it actually worked.. I don't see the point for me, but if you have only one bar its nice bonus!

I am eighty kilos and I would dig a super responsive Contra as my low wind kite and rather go Contra 15, switchblade 12 and 8..

Havent tried the kites yet but I know they can make a good 15 perfect for summerbreeze foil sessions..

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 am

That chart is for 165 lb'er...NC is 198...and he is a NEW rider
steve

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:42 am

why not go as low end for a velocity 13 instead of a contra 15....?

Smaller kite and better low end?

Maybe too difficult for the beginner, but for intermediate to experienced that would be better...

Especially if you are heavier?

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:09 am

Yep, I am 92 kg and 2013: 12-9 and 2012 7m did it on twice boards from 10 to 35+. The 2014 is apparently 1m more powerful than the 2013 they say. So you do't need any bigger than 12 for now and at 15+, a 9m would be the call up until close to 30 and a 12 will go up to 20 average and close to 25 in gusts. If you want a bit more margin at the top, 11-9 could be it and you add the big one next summer. I still contemplateur the 10m as being the 80% of the time kite and then a 15 and a 7m. I currently ride 15-11-7 and it works just fine. You always know what kite you should use.

Return to “Kitesurfing”