Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Support your local shop . . . ?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:58 am

noel wrote:I have worked for kite/surf shops for almost 15 years and for Ford Motor Co. for years before that building trucks, i know a little. Did you ask the shop why such a high mark up if you know how much it should cost? I don't know the situation there and unless someone is from there, how would we know? Are there any other vat or duties
Be interesting to know if there are duties for a "company" importing stuff, cos AS I SAID you don't pay a lot of duties when customs decides to charge you (FedExcrement charges $25 every time for "duties" regardless of what I have to pay customs; actual customs duties are less) and AS I SAID sales tax is 10%. EDIT: I'm wrong, consumption tax (aka VAT, GST, etc) is still at 5% . . . going up to 10% in 2015.
noel wrote:As for the car thing. If you think the manufacturing plants build the cars for the same price as they sell it to the dealer, you are naive.
No shit, Sherlock. We're talking about RRP not wholesale.
noel wrote:Why ask for help on a forum if you are not willing to listen to any opinions or answers?
Who's asking for help? I'm just having a moan.

Richtw
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Richtw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:19 am

That would be about right, I work extensively in Japan and we typically have to charge about 40 - 60% more for a product sold in Japan to support the additional costs of working there. Cost of rents on business premises are hugely higher than elsewhere, salaries are higher in japan due to the increased cost of living, tax on businesses themselves are also higher, import taxes, customs clearance charges, sales tax etc. It all adds up I am afraid.....

That said I am writing this from the UK where I live and I can buy kite kit cheaper from the US and import it - if something does go wrong I am on my own so I usually buy locally!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 am

Tiago1973 wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Market is smaller, sure
this
Apparently, this *is* the reason. Talked to the shop guy this afternoon; manufacturers aren't giving bulk discount cos the market is small.

Which is interesting, cos I thought the dealer discounts came off the dealer prices, not RRP. So why are things up to 100% more than US RRP?!?

Another interesting item related to ordering through the local shop, rather than just going straight to the local dealer - you pay no extra, but both the dealer and the shop get to credit their books with the sale . . . !

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:25 am

Richtw wrote:That would be about right, I work extensively in Japan and we typically have to charge about 40 - 60% more for a product sold in Japan to support the additional costs of working there. Cost of rents on business premises are hugely higher than elsewhere, salaries are higher in japan due to the increased cost of living, tax on businesses themselves are also higher, import taxes, customs clearance charges, sales tax etc. It all adds up I am afraid.....

That said I am writing this from the UK where I live and I can buy kite kit cheaper from the US and import it - if something does go wrong I am on my own so I usually buy locally!
I'd question all those statements, especially outside of major centers like Tokyo - which is typically where the shops are. Relatively speaking, tax etc are higher outside Japan.

So the mark-up is all in-country then?

Tariffs - according to this: http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff ... 04e_95.htm there are no tariffs on sailboards :o

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 am

Just vote with your feet man.

Or
If you like stroll into the shop and state " I can by for $XX online but will support you if you sell it to me for $$XX" They can choose to compete or counter offer. If you don't get the deal you want then role the dice and buy online.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am

plummet wrote:Just vote with your feet man.

Or
If you like stroll into the shop and state " I can by for $XX online but will support you if you sell it to me for $$XX" They can choose to compete or counter offer. If you don't get the deal you want then role the dice and buy online.
I do. Then I get growled at for not supporting my local :-?

When I wanted a new board I said, "Dude these pads are 1/2 that price in the rest of the world!" and the response was "Meh."

One of the guys has just bought a 2013 Zephyr, complete - $2,700. He gets a 10% discount for being a club member so it'll be about $2,400*.

Club membership is $180 a year. He's been here for 2 years so . . . what a saving! :lol: I don't begrudge the club fees one little bit though - convenient parking, shower, gear storage, and boat rescue for those who need it.

Just wish we didn't get screwed on gear prices . . . I think Switch has got the right idea!!!

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TheJoe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm all for supporting local shops. When ever people ask advice on which kites to buy I tell them what ever their local shop sells. But it's a two way street if your local shop gouges you on price just because they have limited competition then it's easy to order online. Keeping customers happy is what keeps you in business.

Return to “Kitesurfing”