Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Adding inserts to board

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Adding inserts to board

Postby nicor » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Just received a new light wind board, but the inserts positions are 46-51 cm. My current stance is 41 cm :(

I have a bad knee and been riding a shinn monk for more than a year (2011 model had this norrow stance option of 41cm). The board is really comfortable, and I have virtually no knee pain anymore, but I find that one of the keys to easing the tension on my knee is narrow stance.

Can anyone tell if it’s realistic to add some inserts to get a narrower stance option? ( I would look for a third party to do the work)
Last edited by nicor on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Adding inserts to board

Postby edt » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:13 pm

drill a beveled hole, add inserts, epoxy and sand down. when I build a new board, the inserts I use come with the threads taped over so you dont even have to do that. A bit more work if you want the paint to match on the bottom, fill and paint before you epoxy.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Piece of cake. Be carefull with a drill. Better to use an exacto kinfe to cut the skin with a bunch of pilot holes done first. Scrape out the foam to the bottom skin. You want closed end insert like used in snowboards. You may have trouble finding those anywhere unless you have a builder nearby. With the correct depth insert just epoxy it in. Tape around the hole of course to keep crap off the surface, You should not need to sand at all. You can tint the resin but not worth it really since it will be covered with pads. I would do it for you but I expect you are too close to Kingston ontario...lol

Stan

windego.ca

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:20 am

I would take it and have someone do it that builds custom boards or does repairs. For a proper insert job though you need a large cut out and use resin as a filler with glass over top of it. If you botch up the job well lets just say those Shinn boards are not cheap.

Maybe contact Shinn and see if they can make you a custom board with a narrow stance?

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 am

No need to glass over the top. Just make sure the insert is resined to the bottom skin. Approx 100 boards so far and no insert pulled out.

Stan

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Bigdog wrote:Piece of cake. Be carefull with a drill. Better to use an exacto kinfe to cut the skin with a bunch of pilot holes done first. Scrape out the foam to the bottom skin. You want closed end insert like used in snowboards. You may have trouble finding those anywhere unless you have a builder nearby. With the correct depth insert just epoxy it in. Tape around the hole of course to keep crap off the surface, You should not need to sand at all. You can tint the resin but not worth it really since it will be covered with pads. I would do it for you but I expect you are too close to Kingston ontario...lol

Stan

windego.ca

ha, not that far away - montreal - but I'll find someone one closer by, I go to ottawa a lot so that can work too.

Just to be clear the new board is an XTR, the monk is my all around board and I love it.

It pains me to have to dirll it up a new board, but even just standing on land with a wider stance adds tension to my knee, I can't explain it but it does. I'm going to try the board a few times to be sure I can't live with it at a 46cm stance, but I'm pretty sure I'll add the inserts, because like I said before I have virtully no pain at a narrow stance.
Last edited by nicor on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:12 am

no need to add inserts in the board, you could put on a modified pad not centered. this could be used in your next boards!

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:11 pm

poldo wrote:no need to add inserts in the board, you could put on a modified pad not centered. this could be used in your next boards!
Modified pads??

How do you modify a pad to make the offcenter?

I haven't done the work yet so I can still go this route if its viable

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:10 pm

nicor wrote:
poldo wrote:no need to add inserts in the board, you could put on a modified pad not centered. this could be used in your next boards!
Modified pads??

How do you modify a pad to make the offcenter?

I haven't done the work yet so I can still go this route if its viable
you could get a piece of aluminum or steel plate bolt your straps to it, and then a few inches away from your straps drill some holes in the plate for where your old inserts are. making new inserts is a cleaner looking mod, it will look nicer I think than using an offset plate.

Return to “Kitesurfing”