Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best kite for racing

Postby SonjaH » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi,

I want to take part on some races on the water and snow next year,  and i'm looking for the best kite. What is it right know? Edge/dyno/rebel or an other one?

I tested the edge and the rebel last year, but i can't say, which would be faster on a race. They just feel diffrent. Stop the time on a practice course would be crap, because you never get same conditions :D

And do you think, that the race kites, like edge or dyno got much better from 2012 to 2013 and now  to 2014? I mean every year the producer tell you, that they improve something and that the kite is now so much better. But nobody can really test, because like i said, you never have the same condition to compare equal . Maybe it's just more that you think, the kite would be better, because you read it everywhere  ;-)  (Example) if apple would bring a new phone and nobody would known the specifications, everybody would probably love it an say it's much better than the old one, even if it would be the same, just with an other shape and name. :D

What dou you think?

kinchencool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bucerias, nuevo vallarta,
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, La Ventana, Progreso, Maui, SandBar
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: Slingshot RPM, Ozone Edge

Re: Best kite for racing

Postby kinchencool » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:00 pm

SonjaH wrote:Hi,

I want to take part on some races on the water and snow next year,  and i'm looking for the best kite. What is it right know? Edge/dyno/rebel or an other one?

I tested the edge and the rebel last year, but i can't say, which would be faster on a race. They just feel diffrent. Stop the time on a practice course would be crap, because you never get same conditions :D

And do you think, that the race kites, like edge or dyno got much better from 2012 to 2013 and now  to 2014? I mean every year the producer tell you, that they improve something and that the kite is now so much better. But nobody can really test, because like i said, you never have the same condition to compare equal . Maybe it's just more that you think, the kite would be better, because you read it everywhere  ;-)  (Example) if apple would bring a new phone and nobody would known the specifications, everybody would probably love it an say it's much better than the old one, even if it would be the same, just with an other shape and name. :D

What dou you think?
Go with the edge! Best kite for racing in the market make sure you get skinny race lines for it!
Kick ass kite in water and snow!! 2014 will come until June 2014 and the difference between the 2012 and 2013 is not much just graphics and bridles are skinnier in the 2013 model

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:57 pm

any good list of Race Kites should have the NEW Cabrinha Velocity.
I use the Velociity as my freestyle(hooked in) kite; Big air, BIg hang time, loops great

Go try one...:)
steve

kinchencool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bucerias, nuevo vallarta,
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, La Ventana, Progreso, Maui, SandBar
Style: freestyle, Kiteracing
Gear: Slingshot RPM, Ozone Edge

Postby kinchencool » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:07 pm

Top race kites are
Ozone Edge
North Dyno
Cabrinha VMG
ASV Performance
Gaastra Jet
RRD Addiction

Make your pick
Cheers

SonjaH
Rare Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby SonjaH » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:40 pm

So you think none of them is really better than the others in speed and going upwind?

Imba
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Boracay
Style: Air
Gear: F-one 10m, Cabrinha Switchblade 14m, Cabrinha X-Bow 16m.

Postby Imba » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:28 pm

Dont want to sound "notion-favorited" (because im from Russia.

But as far as i know the fastest kites for racing is "ELF".
Custom made kites made in Russia (St-Peterburg).

If you check latesr World Championships 2006-2010 you will notice for a lot of russian racers both girl s & guys steamroll any other kites\racers.

Plus, if you check the latest (2 montsh ago?) "scandal" in the female racing world, you will find (on that forum) the info how the kiting federation was (forced?) to ban both russian board & then again "ELF" kite because racer girl again steamrolled any other traces with a huge time-gap...

Womens Fleet:
1. Elena Kalinina (RUS, Elf/Temavento) - 3 pts
2. Katja Roose (NED, Airush) - 6 pts
3. Steph Bridge (GBR, North) - 7 pts
4. Christine Boenniger (GER, Flysurfer) - 13 pts
5. Agnieszka Grzymska (POL, Ozone) - 13 pts
------------

Check those posts:
viewtopic.php?t=2381305&p=802567

http://www.foilzone.com/phpbb3/viewtopi ... =1&t=12909

viewtopic.php?f=159&t=2381576 - topic how they ban ELF.

Again. This is a vustom made kites.
And there is no wonder they Kititng Federation (sponsored by North & Cabrinha) decided to ban those kites. Because of way too much overrun.

But if you race "for fun" get Elf and rock on =)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:41 pm

...so there is no best kite...what you are looking for is the kite that will perform the best for you. A lot of people are using the ozone and north..but they have also pushed a lot of money into the racers.

Figure out what you are looking for. Racing in general you are looking at a high AR kite...
I really like the naish draft for racing. There are a few differences between that and the ozone..but for racing I think it is important to test out. Over here it is a very popular kite.

To me one of the significant good things is that it goes upwind very well, but also that it will not pull you off your line. It pulls a little more on the bar so it easy to adjust the angle of the kite instead of losing your line. I do not think it is heavy on the bar tho. I am still looking to ride it with a racebar tho.

Bonus: Such a fun free ride jumping kite too.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:09 am

If you plan on doing local races, any kite will be allowed most likely. If you want to do the big IKA championship races (Worlds, Europeans...) you need to have one of the registered kites (and board). This is the IKA registered kite list:
http://www.internationalkiteboarding.or ... cing-kites

Naish Draft and Elf kites are not allowed in IKA events because they did not register. If you're only racing locally or for fun though, it doesn't matter.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:21 pm

By far the Ozone Edge is the most popular race kite around here. Some of our racers have tried some of the others but generally find the Edge can't be beat. You can also get a race bar from Ozone.

The top racers in the world may get some sponsorship (free or discounted kites) from companies like Ozone but most of them would switch brands in a heartbeat if they found a better race kite.

And you might as well buy one that is on the IKA approved list in case you want to compete in an official IKA event. See the IKA link posted above.

:wink: CG

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 pm

Imba wrote: But as far as i know the fastest kites for racing is "ELF".
I would second ELF to be the best together with Paraavis which is also a Russian race kite. Those AR7 kites has dominated Wissa Ice Racing contests on short closed track. And this year ELF has certainly been noted on water racing as well as Imba mentioned.

Best long distance kite in terms of wins of VAKE has been Speed3 because of their enormous wind range and usability. ELFs has been on VAKE but they have too limited wind range IMO. You need to carry more kites and change them more when the wind changes. But usually ELF riders have won the first leg upwind drag race on VAKE.

Edge has a very positive reputation but so far it (or other bladder race kites) have not been able to match performance of ELF on ice where riding speeds and angles are high. Otherwise Edge would be used by top ice riders.

On liquid competition the board, fins and skill (and luck?) plays bigger role so it is a bit harder to compare kites than on ice. I'd love to see you-name-the-top-race-name on race&foil board and ELF kite what he could do with VMG and hopefully answer if it is better or worse in course speed.

15 year old Kalinina and Doronin have done great job crushing experienced racers with their ELFs as a new comers(?) so they are giving a hint that the kite works on water too. I hope they can continue racing before next possible kite registration date, was it on April 2014.

Return to “Kitesurfing”