Style: Nube
Gear: 2009 9M Cabrinha convert, 2012 12M Cabrinha Vector
2009 131x40 Nobile NHP, 2012 142x44 Airush Switch
Brand Affiliation: Brooklands Farm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kiting in Colombia (and San Andres) Dec to ....! Some Qs

Postby Farmerr » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:58 am

I have an amazing chance to travel at the moment. I finished my MSc, have some solid experience under my belt and now saved some cash.. I see it as NOW is the time to go!

I have a few questions for this trip I'm planning to Colombia leaving this Dec. I'd really appreciate any help if anyone who has kited this amazing looking place :D

So for sure I want to hit Cabo De La Vela and whole bunch of spots on the NE coast (ideally flatwater). What kite sizes do I need? Do I need to buy a 5... Same question for San Andres!! I'll be finishing my trip here..maybe continue into Nicaragua. :cool2:

I haven't decided if I want to finish the mainland Colombia part of the trip at Cabo or start there because I'd also love to get to Chivor (maybe) and Lago Calima. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get across this largish area yet. I do want to stop at a bunch of spots along the way on that NE coast of colombia. Some look great... :thumb: What would traveling over land be like (buses would be great (but with kite gear???) I've heard pay a driver is an option but could be pricey).

Those are my questions for now. Thanks for any help!

moffemand
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete.

DR
Favorite Beaches: Couipe
Brazil
Style: Freeride
Gear: Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiting in Colombia (and San Andres) Dec to ....! Some Qs

Postby moffemand » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I am in the same situation.

I am going for 3 month but dont know where yet. I will start in Catagena. I heart it is 7 - 9 m2
wether most of the days. They have 2 schools there.

San Andreas look kick as.

Hopefully some kiters who have been there can help us out.

Moffemand

Kiteskills
Rare Poster

Postby Kiteskills » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:59 pm

Guys, we'ee on the same page! I want to hit Colombia over Brazil. Less expensive, less discovered! More info, anyone?!

Farmerr
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga/Simcoe
Favorite Beaches: Oliphant

Postby Farmerr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Awesome! I'm stoked to see others interested too.
Ya there is not a whole lot of info, but I have been piecing stuff together.
I'm from Canada and thinking of flying in one-way to Aruba, then Aruba to colombia looks the cheapest. Total 450ish after taxes, from Toronto.
Doing this, the first spot is Cabo de la Vela. I contacted the school there and hammocks cost 10000p a night (thats like 5.50 CAD a night!!)..I could stay for a long time with that price, haha! THey also have lockers to lock up all your valubles (gear and such). She said 7m everyday there and crazy butter flat conditions; just youtube some videos. Getting there will take a little while, but I think it will be worth it.
I contacted the school and Lago de Calima, and dorm beds there are around 15USD a night. A bit more. But I'm sure there are cheaper accomidation elsewhere.9-12m are most common there.
I hear Colombia has amazing public transportation and shared taxis are very common. I imagine they could tie boardbags onto the roof of taxis..
Thats where I'm at for now. Apart from Cabo de la Vela, I'd like flatwater spots with good nightlife! LEts keep this forum going with more information as it comes in.
I'd be down to meet up with any kiters with seeking a similar experience. I'm a 26 yo male, traveling alone and looking for kiting adventure and some good partying. I hear the chikas en colombia es mui bien!! :cool2:

Farmerr
Rare Poster

Postby Farmerr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:29 pm

wow, forget flying into aruba. $375 into cartagena from yyz toronto. SWEET!

Kiteskills
Rare Poster

Postby Kiteskills » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:20 am

Smooth plan, farmerr! I'd love to join you somewhere. Not sure about Cabo though-wind is too strong and nightlife too quiet. Cartagena sounds like a plan to me! My plan is to land around Oct 5-15 And Yes! Las chicas si son buenas :)

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:15 am

ive been there 4-5 times so i can help you. october is no windy season. you can have maybe some luck in cabo and calima, other than that is rainy season

kitenico
Medium Poster
Local Beach: colombia
Favorite Beaches: cabo de la vela , puntagallinas , chivor , calima , cartagena ,puerto velero
Style: freeride, freestyle , wakestyle , race
Gear: bandit 9,12
edge 17

Postby kitenico » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi i am a colombian kiter i usually kite in chivor ,for cabo you can handle your 789 lite no need of a five i ride there an 8m, for cartagena and chivor probably a 12 is perfect. For travelling in co�ombia you can find some cheap tikets if you buy them with time if not bus is also easy. For flat water puerto velero an cabo are the best (puerto is bir gusty) chivor an calima are fresh water. If you need more info feel free to ask
Good wind
Nico

Farmerr
Rare Poster

Postby Farmerr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks or your help :thumb:

Puerto Velero looks real good too. Do you know what kind of cheap accommodation there is available there? (all i need is a hammock and someplace to keep my kite gear safe).

Also, do you think traveling from one place to another along the NE coast will be difficult with a kitebag and backpack? I might not be moving very often, so some struggling when I do move is OK with me.

Any idea on what the trip to Lago Calima would be like (length of time, how to get there) from Cartagena, also using public transport (or the most inexpensive alternative)?

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 am

ive kited 100 times at puerto velero :) you can stay at the school in a hammock, your gear is safe there, ask for Javier.

wind is very gusty there, but flat water. More constant and better if you do a downwind right to the point where the bay and sea meets. Good waves in the sea there in that point.

transport is easy, there are minibuses (and big ones) that are cheap and would get you to the main cities.

Calima i cannot help, havent been there

Return to “Travel”