Local Beach: Shoreham Beach, Lancing
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: North Rebels, Mako 150
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wainman Boss, graphics stained

Postby CapatainJ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Anyone notice the pink gold sections on the Boss staining when salt water spray hits the canopy? My kite is about 3 weeks old and the water marks look pretty bad, the picture below shoes the issue, the kite is completely dry. I've also gently wiped these area with a wet cloth to see if they come off, they don't. Very weird, I can only imagine that the salt is reacting with the ink.
Attachments
image.jpg

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Wainman Boss, graphics stained

Postby SENDIT! » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Disclaimer: Wainman is one of the brands that I am a dealer for. Now that that's out of the way... :wink:

This looks like what happens when a kite is put away wet. I have seen numerous brands with the same appearance after rolling up the kite wet and leaving it that way for a few days. I've seen it with rain water, fresh water (from a hose that was used to give it an unneeded bath after a session), and salt water. The difference is that fresh/rain water usually causes mildew as well, whereas the salt water just causes the color bleed/staining.

Where are you kiting and have you put it away wet? All things being equal, it doesn't appear to be anything more than loss of aesthetic appeal. Most of us have it on our kites sooner or later, although I can imagine that's not what you want to hear on a 3 week old kite. We have some locals that are riding some Wainmans that are 4 years old and I haven't noticed any issue, but I haven't really been looking that hard either. I'll have to take a look the next time that I see them.

Madluke
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pervolia larnaka Cyprus
Favorite Beaches: Pervolia
Style: Freestyle wakestyle
Gear: Wainman hawaii

Postby Madluke » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:06 pm

Yes, agree. It happens the same to mine after 4 years of hard usage.i leave it rolled and wet into the sun after a session The next day the result was smth similar to yours frend. So we clean, dry, roll and store!!!iam sure that if is factory fault u covered by the warranty so dont worry and keep riding......

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:43 pm

it is always breaks my heart when i read how careless some of the kiters are when handling new kites.

try to understand, kite companies work tirelessly to bring those very much moderately priced marvels of modern technology to you. think of the hundreds of thailand, china and srilankan bare-feet youth stitching canopies.
think about team riders spending hundreds of hours away from their warm cozy homes testing the gear so you don't have to.
think about kite brands marketing crew sacrificing themselves just to make clear for you how perfect this product fits your skills and how durable it is.
finally, try to understand that the employees of the kite-shops unwrap the kites from the package only for quantity control purposes.

i personally can not understand how some irresponsible people dare to expose the those intricate pieces of modern technology to the most aggressive influence of moisture, sand and violent movements of the air in lower parts of earth atmosphere (commonly known as "wind").
and they call themselves a kiters!
shame on you!

CapatainJ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham Beach, Lancing
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: North Rebels, Mako 150

Postby CapatainJ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:55 pm

SENDIT! wrote:Disclaimer: Wainman is one of the brands that I am a dealer for. Now that that's out of the way... :wink:

This looks like what happens when a kite is put away wet. I have seen numerous brands with the same appearance after rolling up the kite wet and leaving it that way for a few days. I've seen it with rain water, fresh water (from a hose that was used to give it an unneeded bath after a session), and salt water. The difference is that fresh/rain water usually causes mildew as well, whereas the salt water just causes the color bleed/staining.

Where are you kiting and have you put it away wet? All things being equal, it doesn't appear to be anything more than loss of aesthetic appeal. Most of us have it on our kites sooner or later, although I can imagine that's not what you want to hear on a 3 week old kite. We have some locals that are riding some Wainmans that are 4 years old and I haven't noticed any issue, but I haven't really been looking that hard either. I'll have to take a look the next time that I see them.
I live in the uk and the occasions when I did go out we're sunny and warm, kite got a splash in the sea early in one session, by the time I came in after an hour and half I packed up as normal. Funnily enough I was out on my Smoke and that received rain, a few dumps into the sea, and was put away slightly damp, aired it the next day, and it looks perfect. I'm guessing this is because it does not have much in the way of the metallic colours.

Return to “Kitesurfing”