The new Uni Control Bar by Blade

Forum for kitesurfers
icebird
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The new Uni Control Bar by Blade

Postby icebird » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Mikites wrote:Are you saying that sling shot uses bungi instead of a solid line like blade does? Im seriously getting pissed that i have to come in to shore every 5 mins to unwrap this damned line.
It may be that when there is no tension on the flagging front line, the safety leash pulls in the slack a bit through the swivel. When tension comes back, the front line pulls tight again. If the motion curls the line, this would explain it. Perhaps riding suicide helps.

Blade has a fix in a video where the hole for the flagging line through the swivel is being enlarged a bit. This to ensure flagging in light wind. It might also solve the curling effect, if my assumption is correct.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:18 pm

Have you got your chicken loop through the leash attachment ring
If so, it may be worth a try with it off. That way the weight of the leash pulls out any slack on the flagging line.

I assume you are not doing loads of loops...more in one direction than the other?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Dude, Im sorry I have to laugh... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coming in to unravel CS line sounds like BS...
SS has a bungi line surrounded by what looks like a vectran sleeve that will stretch to a few inches and then lock up solid. It gets worn out every few months or so - aint perfect by any stretch (pun intended). :out:

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady
Been thanked: 0

Postby Mikites » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:55 am

Funny thing is, i think it started after enlarging the hole as blade shows in thier video.. I dont have any thing holding the line from twisting at the end. I kinda think its just enough twisting force to not twist the leash, then once it starts to get shorter than the depower line it has enough friction on the stopper to keep winding up.

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady

Postby Mikites » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:56 am

How do tou set the uni bar up suicide? The beer can tab setup they had last year is gone

bgkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens
Favorite Beaches: Viento
Style: wake
Gear: UFO
Brand Affiliation: Whatever is going cheap

Postby bgkiter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:26 am

When you re-assembled the bar after the drilling mod, did you feed the flagging line through the center hole of the swivel? If you did not, every time the kite loops the line will wrap around your depower lines. By feeding the line through the center of the swivel, each twist of the center lines is translated into a twist of the flagging line instead of a wrap of the flagging line around the depower lines. Worth checking - had this happen on a naish bar of similar setup and took me session to figure out what he problem was.

One final thing - bungee or solid line does not make a difference, if you use a solid line there will just be a dangling piece of line below the bar as you start depowering your kite. It should not wrap or cause any issues. Also make sure that your swivel is clean and not full of sand.

Cheers

V
Last edited by bgkiter on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:16 am

Mikites wrote:Funny thing is, i think it started after enlarging the hole as blade shows in thier video.. I dont have any thing holding the line from twisting at the end. I kinda think its just enough twisting force to not twist the leash, then once it starts to get shorter than the depower line it has enough friction on the stopper to keep winding up.
OK, so the opposite, makes sense - tight hole prevents line from moving back and forth, still seems to confirm my theory though.

I think you might solve the problem by inserting a rubberband or other weak thin piece of string through the eye of the safetyline inside the swivel and tie it around the outside one leg of of the swivel. It must easily break during release and not jam anything, and add wear the line. This will keep the line from moving back and forth and thus avoid the curling.

You could also try moving the safety to the other undrilled hole.

Suicide - need to experiment a bit myself - just got the bar - usually ride north. You hook the leash direktly into the CL and forego safety, or hook into safety as usual and add a link to the CL, possible an ekstra steel ring through the CL and the carabiner. Open to suggestions here. Or perhaps you can just click the carabiner both into the CL and the safety ring.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:33 pm

this twisting up of the leash line does not make sense. what exactly are you describing?

you saying the line itself is twisting to the point where it becomes shorter, and then starts tensioning the centerline it is attached to? really??? how many times does a 2' long piece of skinny line need to twist to start getting noticeably shorter, a million??

or is it twisting around something.

that definitely doesnt happen on any of my UNI bars. (or slingshot, or naish, or ozone, bars, all with similar leash line systems)

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:51 pm

The munter hitch is used in climbing as an improvised rapelling device.
The knot is known to kink the rope - as the free end is free, it is not a big deal.

I suspect that moving the frontline through one of the legs in the swivel causes a similar kink.
In that case it can be hundreds of twists in a short period of time, enough to significantly shorten the line between the swivel and the leash, while the front line is long enough to not make the opposite twist noticable immediately. It has nothing to do with number of backrolls or kiteloops. Just a theory though.

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:18 pm

I can't understand what you guys are describing. Can you make a short video explaining the problem ?
I have used the Unibar several times and never had a problem with it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”