All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Roll Call - Older Kooks & Seasoned Age Kiteboarders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Any kite smaller than 14m is a small kite! Like my old 20m Rhino, ride it more than my 9 or 12, 14 is the main stay, my 18 and the 20 just to slow to f16 just hang and tiwrl! But I have to say some of the new bigger kites are fast, The Blade 17m for example you can f16/loop. The Ozone Zepher has the speed of my 14, but has great hang time. Need to try the Dyno all the old guy rave about it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:50 am 
Medium Poster

You are not to old. I started kiting at 54. Now I'm hooked. I advise you to google Arizona Lou's blog. He is in his seventies.
I faithfully Check the wind daily when I get up and get out twice a week if I am lucky.Planning Kiteboard holidays is fun too. Kiting has given me a new focus on life. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am 
Frequent Poster

most of the guys i ride with in Mexico are over 65 and some over 75, so you are no where near old yet.
and yes, they do tricks but mostly have bigger smiles than just about anyone out there.
there is a big difference between getting old and breaking down,
just choose the right one!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 am 
Medium Poster

50 is old? Ha, ha,ha,ha! Tell your family not to worry. Do as all kiters should, play safely and have fun! Not sure about the "small kite advice" ride what suits the area you are kiting in. I use 12, 9 and 7. Jumping? I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm 56 and have never been fitter. I attribute part of that to kiteboarding in general, and riding toeside in particular.

I have chronic low back pain from 40 years sitting at a computer screen (I started young). I used to get an instance of crippling pain about once a year where I was out of action for a week or so.

The twisting and flexing I get from riding toeside has really opened my back up. I have not had an instance of crippling pain, or indeed any more than a minor twinge, for almost 10 years.

The interesting thing is I used to dose myself up with pain killers and get out and go windsurfing and now kiting and my back would sort itself out. At my most crippled I would go for a walk along the beach and watch the wind surfers and check out the weather.

In recent years the recommended treatment for low back is now: avoid X-rays and imaging, keep active, take pain killers. I'll send you my bill ....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

NYKiter wrote:
:hit:
I know, I'm focused on the waves...I suppose I will get into it but the whole eating shit part to master them is troubling...

Mastering jumps? I don't think I ate that much shit... you've probably got the kite skills to soften the blows anyway :D Like I said, falling of the Dialer at speed is worse :o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

saildawg wrote:
50 is old? Ha, ha,ha,ha! Tell your family not to worry. Do as all kiters should, play safely and have fun! Not sure about the "small kite advice" ride what suits the area you are kiting in. I use 12, 9 and 7. Jumping? I love it.

I dont get the "small kite" thing either ?

For me, small kites is 4-5-6m2, where a 7m2 is a "medium" size (at 78kg).

The days with the small ones are the ones we love, in waves :thumb:

But of course you start out with big kites, and learn progressively over the years to come.
Important, as your joints has to get used to the sport, and it takes a LONG time, whereas muscles tend to develop much faster.
This is the only issue you could have - but it is exactly the same, actually even worse, with younger riders, as they tend to build muscles faster, so their joints and muscles are not equally structured yet :wink:

But starting at 50 is absolutely no problem at all IMO :naughty:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

Tell your family that you would have a better chance blowing out a knee skiing, tennis, softball, basketball, and doing many other activities traditionalist would consider normal for a 54 old.
Great way to stay active and healthy, just take your time and let the younger crowd get the monster air and do all the hand pass stuff. I am 52 and plan on kiting for a long as possible .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

pecmajor wrote:
I advise you to google Arizona Lou's blog. He is in his seventies.
!

Oh my...I met this guy.
I was at OBX 3 years ago - he walks right up to me from behind and says 'you know who I am?...I'm Arizona Lou...' (I'm thinking who the fuck are you and why do I care...)
he says 'look me up...here's my card' '

I did pay him respect and listened to his story. Apparently he was living in his van traveling up the coast or something...guy was ancient....uh... I mean well into senescence...very fit though..cant believe someone mentioned him here. Now I'm a little stoked that he approached me...

:prayer: :prayer:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:12 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You might send these links to stories on AARP's web site -

http://www.aarp.org/videos.id=600393597001/

http://www.aarp.org/health/fitness/info ... rding.html

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next