Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Roll Call - Older Kooks & Seasoned Age Kiteboarders

Postby bay surfer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:25 am

Any kite smaller than 14m is a small kite! Like my old 20m Rhino, ride it more than my 9 or 12, 14 is the main stay, my 18 and the 20 just to slow to f16 just hang and tiwrl! But I have to say some of the new bigger kites are fast, The Blade 17m for example you can f16/loop. The Ozone Zepher has the speed of my 14, but has great hang time. Need to try the Dyno all the old guy rave about it!

pecmajor
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Marie Curtis
Favorite Beaches: Coconut Bay St Lucia
Outer Banks NC USA
Long Beach Ontario
Oliphant Ontario
Style: Kite as much as I can
Gear: On sale

Postby pecmajor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:50 am

You are not to old. I started kiting at 54. Now I'm hooked. I advise you to google Arizona Lou's blog. He is in his seventies.
I faithfully Check the wind daily when I get up and get out twice a week if I am lucky.Planning Kiteboard holidays is fun too. Kiting has given me a new focus on life. Enjoy!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:19 am

most of the guys i ride with in Mexico are over 65 and some over 75, so you are no where near old yet.
and yes, they do tricks but mostly have bigger smiles than just about anyone out there.
there is a big difference between getting old and breaking down,
just choose the right one!

saildawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Kootenay Lake
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox, Hood River, Squamish, Oregon Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby saildawg » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 am

50 is old? Ha, ha,ha,ha! Tell your family not to worry. Do as all kiters should, play safely and have fun! Not sure about the "small kite advice" ride what suits the area you are kiting in. I use 12, 9 and 7. Jumping? I love it.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:05 am

I'm 56 and have never been fitter. I attribute part of that to kiteboarding in general, and riding toeside in particular.

I have chronic low back pain from 40 years sitting at a computer screen (I started young). I used to get an instance of crippling pain about once a year where I was out of action for a week or so.

The twisting and flexing I get from riding toeside has really opened my back up. I have not had an instance of crippling pain, or indeed any more than a minor twinge, for almost 10 years.

The interesting thing is I used to dose myself up with pain killers and get out and go windsurfing and now kiting and my back would sort itself out. At my most crippled I would go for a walk along the beach and watch the wind surfers and check out the weather.

In recent years the recommended treatment for low back is now: avoid X-rays and imaging, keep active, take pain killers. I'll send you my bill ....

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:09 am

NYKiter wrote::hit:
I know, I'm focused on the waves...I suppose I will get into it but the whole eating shit part to master them is troubling...
Mastering jumps? I don't think I ate that much shit... you've probably got the kite skills to soften the blows anyway :D Like I said, falling of the Dialer at speed is worse :o

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:54 am

saildawg wrote:50 is old? Ha, ha,ha,ha! Tell your family not to worry. Do as all kiters should, play safely and have fun! Not sure about the "small kite advice" ride what suits the area you are kiting in. I use 12, 9 and 7. Jumping? I love it.
I dont get the "small kite" thing either ?

For me, small kites is 4-5-6m2, where a 7m2 is a "medium" size (at 78kg).

The days with the small ones are the ones we love, in waves :thumb:

But of course you start out with big kites, and learn progressively over the years to come.
Important, as your joints has to get used to the sport, and it takes a LONG time, whereas muscles tend to develop much faster.
This is the only issue you could have - but it is exactly the same, actually even worse, with younger riders, as they tend to build muscles faster, so their joints and muscles are not equally structured yet :wink:

But starting at 50 is absolutely no problem at all IMO :naughty:

8) Peter

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Tell your family that you would have a better chance blowing out a knee skiing, tennis, softball, basketball, and doing many other activities traditionalist would consider normal for a 54 old.
Great way to stay active and healthy, just take your time and let the younger crowd get the monster air and do all the hand pass stuff. I am 52 and plan on kiting for a long as possible .

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:27 pm

pecmajor wrote: I advise you to google Arizona Lou's blog. He is in his seventies.
!
Oh my...I met this guy.
I was at OBX 3 years ago - he walks right up to me from behind and says 'you know who I am?...I'm Arizona Lou...' (I'm thinking who the f*** are you and why do I care...)
he says 'look me up...here's my card' '

I did pay him respect and listened to his story. Apparently he was living in his van traveling up the coast or something...guy was ancient....uh... I mean well into senescence...very fit though..cant believe someone mentioned him here. Now I'm a little stoked that he approached me...

:prayer: :prayer:

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”