William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None

Lightwind Behavior of Rebel 12 vs. 16

Postby William Munney » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:51 pm

I've been using a 2008 Rebel 16 as my lightwind kite. It seems to like staying in the air. After acquiring a Sector 60, I thought I might be better off using my 2012 Rebel 12, since I don't need much pull to get the Sector planing. I also hoped as a lighter kite, it might fly in less wind. Although it is difficult to directly compare borderline wind days, it seems that the 16m has a decided advantage in the lulls, which are typically 5 to 6 knots, sometimes less.

I don't choke the kites in light wind and have quite a few hours flying both. Any suggestions? The Dyno is on my wishlist...

icebird
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lightwind Behavior of Rebel 12 vs. 16

Postby icebird » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:07 pm

William Munney wrote:I've been using a 2008 Rebel 16 as my lightwind kite. It seems to like staying in the air. After acquiring a Sector 60, I thought I might be better off using my 2012 Rebel 12, since I don't need much pull to get the Sector planing. I also hoped as a lighter kite, it might fly in less wind. Although it is difficult to directly compare borderline wind days, it seems that the 16m has a decided advantage in the lulls, which are typically 5 to 6 knots, sometimes less.

I don't choke the kites in light wind and have quite a few hours flying both. Any suggestions? The Dyno is on my wishlist...

Funny - I had a 2008 12m Rebel, but never really liked it as a lightwind kite because the range between usefulness and dropping out or failing to relaunch wet wasn't that big. It might be working ok dry, but the first time wind drops and it gets wet, it's a struggle from that point. All depending on weight and what you call light wind, but I think many other current kites fly earlier. Dyno being one of them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”