2013 Airush Smart Bar 4 - Pros - Cons - Opinion

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Airush Smart Bar 4 - Pros - Cons - Opinion

Postby nicor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Laughingman wrote:Great review Nicor, Thanks so much
Can you add anything about the release system? Have you had any problems with it? Is it easy to re-assemble, do you feel its dependable?

No problems to date, but I've never had to release it either ,, ha. But seriously, I've tested it like twenty times on land and every once and awhile and it seems to work just fine. It's a pretty good looking sytem and simple too, but I would say the North Iron heart and swivel is best in class from what I've used to date. It's easy to reasemble too, but you need to use both hands.

Just to clarify some other posters comments: the Smart bar 4 flags on one line, not two. The North 4 line bar flags on two lines.

I find the grip comfortable but that just might be me, I kited 7 hours this weekend and my hands feel silky smooth today.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:28 pm

alexeyga wrote:
For one thing, Epic kites are best to be release on a single front line and Airush kites are releasing on both front lines, so you shouldn't be using Epic kites with Airush bars if you care about your own (and your wife's) safety at all.

every kite disables more effectively onto a single center line.

its just a fact, many people have known it for a long time. airush is now done with 2x centerline leash system, cabrinha is now done with it. it is over.

windtzu
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windtzu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:48 am

I have logged on a full season and many hours with the 013 Smartbar. My impression, it's one of the best I've used.

If you keep the adjustable ends clean per the Airush instructions, seizing isn't an issue. I clean (soap and water) and re-lube the ends with a dab of lanolin grease (aka nipple cream ;) found at any pharmacy). I'll do this every third or fourth session and it takes minutes to do.

I have one bar for two kites and it's switching the length is quick n easy. Just be careful not to get sand inside the tubes. Having one bar saves space and money. It's great for travel.

I love the Airush safety system. After owning the Cabrinha's, I find it works just a little more smoothly, and is easy to reassemble (a night and day difference from the 012 and on Cabrinha's).

The depower straps are simple and function well. I tried the North cleat system and I find the strap system easier. I hear the Airush depower handles are harder to reach if you have short arms, I do, but I don't have a problem with it.

I've tried the below the bar adjustment systems. While they're a nice idea on paper, I find them too difficult to adjust. I suppose it's all what you're used to and some will disagree.

Both the North and the Cabrinha bar itself are very comfortable. The Airush finger grips seemed a little "different" at first, but it's not something I notice all that much. I do question their function however. Like the grip on most bars, the Airush is soft enough and "grippy." Why do you need finger idents? Is it some sort of marketing/design distinction? If there is one thing that I'd prefer on the Airush bar, making it nearly perfect, is having a smooth bar without the bicycle style finger grip. This being said, again it's not really an issue, I just find a "smooth" bar a bit more comfortable. And the Smartbar grip, unlike some of the Slingshot bars (I thought I'd need gloves or well calloused hands - nice bar though) is soft as any so it's easy on the hands.

I've have no issue with the softness of the Airush lines. And not to slam Cabrinha, but up until recently were their lines had the pliable equivalent of "yarn". I found them to tangle quite easily compared with the Airush and the North lines.

Since were talking lines, the Airush system includes and adjustable line length system (to run different shorter line lengths if you so choose). I've never messed with this, but it's another option I have...Or if for some reason you snag or damage a section of your line, there's no need to replace the whole line or sets of lines. Just purchase a new section. Nice.

I also like the plastic coated line protector running through the center of the bar. Cabrinha has the same. It cleans up everything quite nicely and it really does protect the lines to increase longevity. I've witnessed my friend deal with line wear on several occasions on his North bar.

The Smartbar is not only functional, but it has a solid overall feel. Contrary to this was the feel of a Switch kite I demoed. The Switch bar was certainly functional enough, but it had a flimsy feel about it. It wasn't the bar itself per se', it was the whole system. North, Liquid Force, and Cabrinha, also have a very solid overall feel.

My impression of the Airush Smartbar on a scale of one to ten:

Bar Comfort 8
Function 10
Versatility 10
Quality 10
Value 10 (one bar is worth multiple bars)

With all the top bars out there, you could do worse than the Airush Smartbar.

kiwimike
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pattaya
Favorite Beaches: surfersparadise
Style: all
Gear: cabrinha

Postby kiwimike » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:55 pm

I sell cabrinha and airush equipment and although i prefer cabrinha kites for their durability i love the airush bars. Since 2013 the single front line flagging system works perfectly. The release system is simple and effective. Just smear lots of vasaline on the joints if you are using the extendable version. Only need one bar for traveling. Perfect.

quote="alexeyga"]If your Epic bars are already falling apart there are several better options on the market that hold up a lot better.

For one thing, Epic kites are best to be release on a single front line and Airush kites are releasing on both front lines, so you shouldn't be using Epic kites with Airush bars if you care about your own (and your wife's) safety at all. Bridals on Airush kites (and Cabrinhas, and Cores) is designed to allow the kite to pivot completely and spill all the power as oppose to Epics despite the fact that pre-4G Epic bar was releasing to a mini-5th. It is simply not safe. In nuking conditions I was always leashing to the Oh-shit handle, just in case if sh#t hits the fan - at least to be able to actually flag the kite.

Here's a short list of some good bars that can be used with Epic kites without any hassle:
-Slingshot
-Blade
-Naish (requires making some knots or getting some pigtail adapters)
-Zeeko
-Liquid Force
-Ozone
-BWS
-Mutiny

Not sure about North - could somebody confirm if North's 4-liner releases to a single front line?

This is not the complete lest, but it covers these that are easily available.[/quote]

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:13 pm

kiwimike wrote:I sell cabrinha and airush equipment and although i prefer cabrinha kites for their durability i love the airush bars. Since 2013 the single front line flagging system works perfectly. The release system is simple and effective. Just smear lots of vasaline on the joints if you are using the extendable version. Only need one bar for traveling. Perfect.

quote="alexeyga"]If your Epic bars are already falling apart there are several better options on the market that hold up a lot better.

For one thing, Epic kites are best to be release on a single front line and Airush kites are releasing on both front lines, so you shouldn't be using Epic kites with Airush bars if you care about your own (and your wife's) safety at all. Bridals on Airush kites (and Cabrinhas, and Cores) is designed to allow the kite to pivot completely and spill all the power as oppose to Epics despite the fact that pre-4G Epic bar was releasing to a mini-5th. It is simply not safe. In nuking conditions I was always leashing to the Oh-shit handle, just in case if sh#t hits the fan - at least to be able to actually flag the kite.

Here's a short list of some good bars that can be used with Epic kites without any hassle:
-Slingshot
-Blade
-Zeeko
-Liquid Force
-Ozone
-BWS
-Mutiny

Not sure about North - could somebody confirm if North's 4-liner releases to a single front line?

This is not the complete lest, but it covers these that are easily available.
[/quote]

Kiwi,
Maybe you took a year off from Airush since they have been using single front lines safety all of 2013. Works awesome! I have not had any problems with the Smart Bar. I use it with my school kites on Lithiums also.

kiwimike
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pattaya
Favorite Beaches: surfersparadise
Style: all
Gear: cabrinha

Postby kiwimike » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:38 am

nope, all my school bars are 2013 (and now a few 2014) they have single front line flagging system and work very well. the release is great and since the donkey dick was extended it seems to be flawless. just a warning on the 2014 bars there is a small screw on the black plastic just above the chicken loop that may not have been perfectly tightened properly. we have had 3 come out so far. i have contacted airush and they have said they will post out some replacements.
noel wrote:
kiwimike wrote:I sell cabrinha and airush equipment and although i prefer cabrinha kites for their durability i love the airush bars. Since 2013 the single front line flagging system works perfectly. The release system is simple and effective. Just smear lots of vasaline on the joints if you are using the extendable version. Only need one bar for traveling. Perfect.

-Slingshot
-Blade
-Zeeko
-Liquid Force
-Ozone
-BWS
-Mutiny

This is not the complete lest, but it covers these that are easily available.
Kiwi,
Maybe you took a year off from Airush since they have been using single front lines safety all of 2013. Works awesome! I have not had any problems with the Smart Bar. I use it with my school kites on Lithiums also.[/quote]

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:54 pm

I got the smart bar in october, 2013 version, really good bar and versatile, however my one gripe is the depower straps, they suck donkey balls, i have broken two in the last couple of months....

i don't use the bar with an airush kite, and i do have an aggressive kite that can pull some G's from the center lines, but breaking these straps is ridiculous, it only takes 2-3 25 knot sessions, i can see them fray slowly and then snap on a really high jump...only to come in on full power and land my kite asap

the shop i got the bar is great and warranty replaced the first set, however after breaking this last set i really don't care to replace it with airush parts again and had a cabrinha strap that is actually the same size, so figure i will see if it can last longer...

love the lines, love the bar, the QR the flag out line works great the versatility, but the straps are like straight out of a jansport backpack that rips in the first semester of school...

use better webbing airush
Attachments
photo.JPG

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush

Postby yuko » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 pm

I second the strap issue, happened to me too. Although, support from Airush was as always flawless!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:30 am

At least Airush takes care of you, at Epic they consider continuous failing of these straps to be a "normal wear and tear" - thus it's perfectly "normal" to keep replacing them every few sessions or so - at your own cost! :angryfire: I ended up re-gutting my Epic bar with another company's parts.
Last edited by alexeyga on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:33 am

Used quite a few bars, own 3 atm.

The Airush SM bar I've purchased new in March '13. After only a few sessions the grip foam started to peel off, first from the middle than off the ends.

Didn't bother to fix it. 10 months after, peeled off almost completely. Both sides.

If you look at the foam it's made of two parts. I think that is quite bad design. My LF bar after 5 years still going strong...

So, I question Airush which kind of glue are they using? For sure never ever left my equip on the Sun or extensive heat.

Now I re-glued everything with epoxy. Curing as I type this:
DSC_0113 (Small).JPG
DSC_0113 (Small).JPG (139.84 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
Also, the red and blue stickers "Less power" & "More power" peeled off soon after. Epoxy glued this as well. Again, which glue was it?

In overall, I've never had to fix anything on my bars. Till now. Maybe it was one off thing...

Return to “Kitesurfing”