2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Buying first traction kite

Postby Rido » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:19 am

So I sold my 3.5m trainer kite and bought at 6m peter lynn hornet.
I am doing this to practice when I can and for fun.

I will mainly be kitesrufing when it comes to kites but I wanted to practice land jumps, etc.

So my question is. Can I use a water control bar on a land kite?

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Buying first traction kite

Postby jbdc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:20 am

Just to clear things up, the distinction you're asking about isn't so much about 'water' versus 'land' kites so much as it is about depower kites versus fixed bridle kites. These days, almost all the kites meant for use on the water are depower kites flown on a 4-line depower bar. For use on land and snow, you can use an inflatable depower kite primarily meant for use on the water, a depower foil (like a Flysurfer Viron, HQ Apex, Ozone Access, etc.) also flown on a 4-depower bar; *OR* you can use a fixed-bridle foil. The PL Hornet you've bought is a 4-line fixed bridle foil, and they are usually flown on a pair of handles.

While it is technically possible to fly a fixed bridle foil on a depower bar, it typically flies so poorly to not be worth the bother. More importantly, a safety system design for an inflatable depower kite (the vast majority of depower bars are of this type), can put a fixed bridle foil into the appropriately named 'death loop'. There are bar systems designed to make it possible to fly a fixed-bridle foil on a bar, but they're not cheap. Here is a video comparing a regular depower bar to one of these fancy fixed-bridle bars:

The cheapest and easiest thing you can do for yourself is to get a pair of handles. Amongst other things, the topic is covered in a bit more detail in this other thread.

TL, DR: No you can't. Get yourself handles with a strop and kite killers. Also, 6m is scary big for a fixed bridle foil on land in any appreciable wind. It will pull as hard as a 10-11m inflatable. And unless you buy a special one, there's no safety release on a strop line. The only way to detach yourself from the kite is by pulling out (heh); which is easier said then done when getting lofted. Be exceedingly careful.

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako

Postby Rido » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:09 am

jbdc wrote:Just to clear things up, the distinction you're asking about isn't so much about 'water' versus 'land' kites so much as it is about depower kites versus fixed bridle kites. These days, almost all the kites meant for use on the water are depower kites flown on a 4-line depower bar. For use on land and snow, you can use an inflatable depower kite primarily meant for use on the water, a depower foil (like a Flysurfer Viron, HQ Apex, Ozone Access, etc.) also flown on a 4-depower bar; *OR* you can use a fixed-bridle foil. The PL Hornet you've bought is a 4-line fixed bridle foil, and they are usually flown on a pair of handles.

While it is technically possible to fly a fixed bridle foil on a depower bar, it typically flies so poorly to not be worth the bother. More importantly, a safety system design for an inflatable depower kite (the vast majority of depower bars are of this type), can put a fixed bridle foil into the appropriately named 'death loop'. There are bar systems designed to make it possible to fly a fixed-bridle foil on a bar, but they're not cheap. Here is a video comparing a regular depower bar to one of these fancy fixed-bridle bars:

The cheapest and easiest thing you can do for yourself is to get a pair of handles. Amongst other things, the topic is covered in a bit more detail in this other thread.

TL, DR: No you can't. Get yourself handles with a strop and kite killers. Also, 6m is scary big for a fixed bridle foil on land in any appreciable wind. It will pull as hard as a 10-11m inflatable. And unless you buy a special one, there's no safety release on a strop line. The only way to detach yourself from the kite is by pulling out (heh); which is easier said then done when getting lofted. Be exceedingly careful.
Thanks, After I made this post I was able to clear everything out. I saw diagrams of the difference and it made alot of sense to me. I bought the ozone turbo bar to make sure I wouldnt regret any bar I purchased. It also seems to resell very well. I am 190 lbs so thats a reason why I picked the 6m. I also wouldnt mind practicing jumping on these.

I wish they had a better way of measuring power of a kite instead of simply size and mph. such as torque the kite will generate under 15mph of wind ya know?

zob
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90

Postby zob » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:03 am

I had a Turbo bar. It makes the fixed brideled kite fly even better than with handles.

Rido
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ray Hubbard
Levee Texas
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: Freeride
Gear: Dakine Fusion Seat Harness
2013 8m Ozone Catalyst
2013 11m Ozone Edge
2013 150 Mako
2013 165 Mako