Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

1mm wetsuit for warm water suggestions

Postby flybykite » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 am

I'm kiting Mui Ne, Vietnam in the winter and I'd like to get a full suit for the odd sessions in cooler winds. I'm normally in board shorts and a lycra rash but there are a couple weeks I cut my sessions shorter because of temperature. I think 1mm would be sufficient. I'm 6ft 150 lbs. I've read about neosport 1mm suits and others on ebay but I'm not sure this is what I need. What do you wear / recommend?

SO_FL_Kiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter, FL; Juno Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Kitebeach, Biscayne Bay
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 15M LF Envy, 12M North Rebel, 11M SS Rev2, 10M North Rhino, 9M LF Session, Airush Sector, Naish Custom Global 6'2", Liquid Force 5'7" FCD, Cabrinha Custom 136, Crazyfly Raptor 132

Re: 1mm wetsuit for warm water suggestions

Postby SO_FL_Kiter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:44 pm

I'm in south Florida. The water temperature here never drops below ~ 73 F in the ocean due to the proximity of the gulf stream. I'll do up to 4 hour sessions with air temperatures as low as 60 degrees or so with just a 2mm Matuse Chapter 1 wetsuit top and some board shorts. It's made of a closed cell neoprene that does not readily absorb water. I've been using the top for 3 seasons now, and love it. They also make long sleeve spring suits or short sleeve full suits out of the same material. Their suits are pricey, but technically superior to some of the other suits I have tried in the past.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm

if a boardshort is a bit cool I guess any 2mm shorty should work. also give a bit of protection from harness. I am ok with O'neill but any one that fits you well should be ok!

ps: I would keep the more technical (and pricey) stuff for the more thick ones!

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Lyrca rash guards will keep you cooler so for warmth, you need polypropelene and/or neopreene.

I usually wear Mystic metalite stuff. I have a long sleeve shirt that is older and very tricky to get on. It keeps me warm in the water but once out and standing in the wind, it seems to evaporate water out of it quickly along with my body heat. Otherwise I wear a metalite farmer john shorty. Its newer and the metalite material is now more slick and easier to put on, comfy to wear, and more windproof. It's basically a one piece shorts tanktop. It wears well with harnesses because it is tight to the body so the harness can slide easily if need be. Both I think are 1.5mm but the titanium weave is supposed to reflect body heat back to you so they are warm like a 2.5 mm might be. I sometimes wear the long sleeve under the tank of the shorty for extra warmth, and it keeps the long sleeve shirt from riding up under my harness. If you crash in the shorty and have to body drag far for any reason, water tends to flow into the large arm holes and swell up the suit a bit.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:39 pm

poldo wrote:if a boardshort is a bit cool I guess any 2mm shorty should work. also give a bit of protection from harness. I am ok with O'neill but any one that fits you well should be ok!

ps: I would keep the more technical (and pricey) stuff for the more thick ones!
agree with this, I just recently got a 2.5mm shorty and it keeps all the important bits warm when it's not really cold out, but would be uncomfortable wearing just boardshorts and rashguard.

I prefer a shorty because it isn't a pain to get on and off, and you can easily wear board shorts/tshirt over it

DirkGently
Medium Poster

Postby DirkGently » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:20 am

For under a hundred bucks you can get a pretty awesome 2mm shorty from MEC.

I've had mine for 2 seasons of working / riding in it and its only now started to have a bit of trouble along seams in the back panel. Worth every penny.

zloilyoha
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skadovsk
Favorite Beaches: Karzhyny Skadovsk, Cape Town SA
Style: free
Gear: slingshot, ozone, core

Postby zloilyoha » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:23 am

flybykite wrote: What do you wear / recommend?
in Mui Ne i used - Matrix Metalite Shorty combining it with Matrix Metalite Vest Ls - very happy with result

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm in South Florida, and I've been actually wearing my 1mm Cresi I normally use for diving, been using it quite often, helps keep the sun and Jellies away, its actually quite comfortable even in the hottest days. I only go out in board shorts and rash-guard when I forget it @ home.

http://www.cressisubusa.com/Catalogue/D ... asp?id=536

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 pm

DirkGently wrote:For under a hundred bucks you can get a pretty awesome 2mm shorty from MEC.
Thanks, Theres an MEC not to far from me. I'll check it out.

wondamic
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leadbetter and C-Street
Style: Freestyle & Waves
Gear: Wainman all the way!
Brand Affiliation: Airborne Kiteboarding

Postby wondamic » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 am

If you want the best suit..hands down, buy Patagonia. I've tried many suits and Patagonia suits, feel better and last longer. They are more expensive, but hey, you are buying the best.

Peep 'em out, you won't be disappointed: http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/wetsuits-r1?k=6U-a6

Return to “Kitesurfing”