strong side shore current/ nugget

Forum for kitesurfers
tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: strong side shore current/ nugget

Postby tony montana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Michelks wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:Michelks

Your kite area (14m2) to board area ratio was much better than during your initial post using a 8m2 !!

You will also do well with the 12m2 Rebel but any smaller kite does not balance that well with Nugget

With my Nugget 2013 i use almost exclusively my Core Riot XR3 LW 19m2 starting with 7kn wind

I have used my Nugget with my Rebel 12m2 once and it worked good also starting with 12kn wind
SupaEZ, I think 99% of nugget riders will disagree with your statement that the board doesn't balance well with small kites. In my case your statement is true, I had 4 session with the board , 3 with kite 14 or bigger and only one with the kite 8 that disappointed me. I prefer to believe that was my lack of skills and not the board the problem.
Michel
I would rather use a small fast kite and nugget in waves over a big kite and smaller sb,in light winds,TONY

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby xray » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:32 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Michelks wrote: SupaEZ, I think 99% of nugget riders will disagree with your statement that the board doesn't balance well with small kites.

99% of Nugget owners in 8m2 wind conditions would never consider using such a wide LW board

If you get to the beach and it is let's say 10m2 weather the Nugget is not a must go to board

Specialized LW Nugget balances better with larger kites sizes...21-19-18-17-16-15-14-13-12m2

:surf: :cheers:
Hmm, I must be one of the 1%...
Rode the Nugget yesterday in a very strong current situation. All of my friends out on 6 and 6m kites. I was on my 7m and the only one reaching the desired spot with one tack. This board really trucks upwind like no other. Play with the positioning of you feet, you can really push against the fins whilst keeping it flat. Soooo much fun in small waves, really floaty and has good speed. Dig in you back foot on the bottom turns and it turns better than expected... I only ride it strapless and have used it in 1m to 3m waves with winds to +30 knot. Yes there are way better board in those circumstances but it still works fine..

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:12 am

tony montana wrote: I would rather use a small fast kite and nugget in waves over a big kite and smaller sb,in light winds,TONY
Light winds is different for different people....
..besides many people are quite off about light wind speed in their kites

I would rather use a large fast kite + Nugget in waves in light winds.....7-8-9 kn = sub10kn
... a must if one knot drift is present during light wind because of the direction versus shoreline

Yes there many large fast kites out there....XR3 19 is one of them
.....problem is that too many riders lack practice in LW & don't know how to make them turn fast

My smallest kite 5m2 with Nugget would work in 20-35++ knots with large waves and current etc..
Would be fun i am sure
So you see of course it can be done...even a small 4m2 borrowed from Peter Frank would work

Cheers :cheers: to all :bye:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:45 am

xray wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:
Michelks wrote: SupaEZ, I think 99% of nugget riders will disagree with your statement that the board doesn't balance well with small kites.

Hmm, I must be one of the 1%...
Rode the Nugget yesterday in a very strong current situation. All of my friends out on 6 and 6m kites. I was on my 7m and the only one reaching the desired spot with one tack. This board really trucks upwind like no other. Play with the positioning of you feet, you can really push against the fins whilst keeping it flat. Soooo much fun in small waves, really floaty and has good speed. Dig in you back foot on the bottom turns and it turns better than expected... I only ride it strapless and have used it in 1m to 3m waves with winds to +30 knot. Yes there are way better board in those circumstances but it still works fine..
You aren't a part of 1%. Supaez is just wrong. He has a board for each size kite. This is actually in the 1% category. 99% of riders do not pigeon hole their gear like he does.

:nono:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 pm

coleman wrote: You aren't a part of 1%. Supaez is just wrong. He has a board for each size kite. This is actually in the 1% category. 99% of riders do not pigeon hole their gear like he does.
Dear Texan :cheers: i am starting to look forward to your posts.....they are pretty good
My Nugget is kitesurfed with my 19 or 12m2
My Whip is kitesurfed with 19 or 12 or 10 or 8m2
My Kontact is kitesurfed with 12-10-8-6-5m2
I am in the 1% for having kite-bar lines for each kites that i never detach :thumb:

It all works....mix and match... you're the one with the single pigeon foot hole :wink:
49.5% ride strapless
49.5 % ride strapped
1% like you ride with one strap :nono: ......that kind of riding is for the birds :lol:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 am

SupaEZ wrote:
coleman wrote: You aren't a part of 1%. Supaez is just wrong. He has a board for each size kite. This is actually in the 1% category. 99% of riders do not pigeon hole their gear like he does.
Dear Texan :cheers: i am starting to look forward to your posts.....they are pretty good
I am in the 1% for having kite-bar lines for each kites that i never detach :thumb:

It all works....mix and match... you're the one with the single pigeon foot hole :wink:
49.5% ride strapless
49.5 % ride strapped
1% like you ride with one strap :nono: ......that kind of riding is for the birds :lol:
Yes it's true I am a one percenter! But I am not an elitist (as evidenced the elitist thread)

:allbegood:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:26 am

Is it just that you are timing the current wrong? IE trying to go upwind with the current rather than against it.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:55 pm

SupaEZ wrote:

49.5% ride strapless
49.5 % ride strapped
I understand where coleman is coming from. Front foot doesn't move much, back does. So no back strap is a bonus, but front pad is there 'if' you want a bit of control going out over nasty chop at speed. It doesn't get in the way like the back strap. A nugget seems made to ride strapless, but one on front seems sound. 2 for jumping. EZ you have too much kit, so why no strapless ?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote: I understand where coleman is coming from. Front foot doesn't move much, back does. So no back strap is a bonus, but front pad is there 'if' you want a bit of control going out over nasty chop at speed. It doesn't get in the way like the back strap. A nugget seems made to ride strapless, but one on front seems sound. 2 for jumping. EZ you have too much kit, so why no strapless ?
You may think you know where is coming from :lol: Do you also know where he is going ?

The back strap is not in the way at all......it is actually in the perfect spot

Make sure it is set 7" apart and loose enough so that foot goes in exactly centered over the board

You just put your back foot in it to do the stuff that cannot be done with just one front strap

There is plenty of room ...."about 18 inches " between both footstraps to trim board

The Nugget is meant to be driven and jumped hard and high in all types of winds..no wimpy turns

People with no straps or one strap just get blown by by those with 2 properly fitted straps

You hit the waves harder and trow all the possible directional transitions and kiteloops in the book

With one strap you limit yourself sooooooooooooooooooooo much :lame1:

List all the moves you can do with one strap....or no straps
I will then list all i those i do with 2 of them

This goes for you too Coleman :wink:

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:30 pm

supa,

i dont do alot of moves anyways. if i am going to do some rotations it is with my twintip. i have just started trying rotations that involve getting big air so i dont mind not doing it on a surfboard.

but i really disagree with you about the strap placement. i find it gets in my way more than not for the way i ride. for slashing turns aggressively i find the board responds very well when you put your back foot up against the raised pad. this is not possible with the strap in place.

i can carve the board more aggressively this way for certain, but if i were to take the front strap off i would lose that leverage. i will concede that i lose the ability to boost big air but i dont use it for that anyways.

Return to “Kitesurfing”