Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pacasmayo waves - Windsurfers have priority?

Forum for kitesurfers
andrepen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pacasmayo waves - Windsurfers have priority?

Postby andrepen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Hello Kiters,

Have you heard about Pacasmayo, in Peru? It is a classic point for windsurf and kitesurf in the waves.

In the main hotel there, El Faro, there is a paper in the wall with the windsurf rules.

It explains the right of priority in the waves.

The last paragraph is written:

- Windsurfers have priority over kitesurfers. But be carefull, because normaly the kitesurfers dont know the rules.

Is this real? I just ignored this rule on the water... And the windsurfers were really pissed on me, they really thought they had priority over kitesurfers.

Strange things...

Good winds

Andre, Buzios, Brazil

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Pacasmayo waves - Windsurfers have priority???

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:37 pm

the one in the wave has right of way...basic surf rule.
The windsurfers wish they have the priority.
Is there also a surf rule, that the surfers have priority over windsurfers?

The ocean and its wave is for everyone!

andrepen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Been thanked: 0

Postby andrepen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Well Toby,

Thats a point: I believe surfers have priority over windsurfers and kiters.... and tow in... Because they are paddling, what is harder than sailing... Otherwise they wouldnt catch any wave when there are sailors around.

But windsurfers and kitesurfers are at the same level, I believe.

Andre

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Yeah, a very experienced windsurfer/kiter once explained to me when I first was getting into the sport, that surfers always have priority, then it goes: windsurfers then kiters. If I remember correctly had something to do with who can go upwind easiest and quicker.

I don't kitesurf around surfers anyways, these guys are usually young and pissy all the time anyways, but when I have, I don't seems to have any major issues with them, so I must be doing something right; same goes to windsurfers, although that's a dying breed (unfortunately), but when I have kited around them, we all just get along.

I guess use basic courtesy.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 pm

I say first in best dressed!!...

If you there first then take the break an use it. Anyone else that comes in does so knowing you are there first.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:54 pm

First sounds fairest !!!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:57 am

Depnds you kiting with some buddies? Or just you and a pack of grandpas on windsurfers?

You can stick to your morals all you want but when in Rome....

We have such a carrying capacity at our locals that if any dick wants to start claiming priority then we quickly sort the situation out...

But we respect surfers though, they have one line up, generally one take off point, we tend to stay out of their way.

Generally....giggle giggle.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:01 am

plummet wrote:I say first in best dressed!!...

If you there first then take the break an use it. Anyone else that comes in does so knowing you are there first.
What if some guy had surfed the place for 30 years. Paid his dues. Slammed on the bottom, all those hours. Then he waits an hour for his wave.

Along comes some bloke on a kiteboard (a seasoned surfer would call that a kook) with none of that long earned water time, he grabs a kite and he's out there in the guy's surf break within a few years. You gonna takes that guy's wave because you have an enormous advantage Mr. Plummet? First in right? Is that what your saying?

Might pass in NZ, I don't know how things are there. WA is fairly open too. Try that in Hawaii, on the North shore of Oahu. Let me know how it goes. I am curious. I would say you better respect those that have been there long before you.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:57 am

windrupted wrote:
plummet wrote:I say first in best dressed!!...

What if some guy had surfed the place for 30 years. Paid his dues. Slammed on the bottom, all those hours. Then he waits an hour for his wave.

Along comes some bloke on a kiteboard (a seasoned surfer would call that a kook) with none of that long earned water time, he grabs a kite and he's out there in the guy's surf break within a few years. You gonna takes that guy's wave because you have an enormous advantage Mr. Plummet? First in right? Is that what your saying?

Might pass in NZ, I don't know how things are there. WA is fairly open too. Try that in Hawaii, on the North shore of Oahu. Let me know how it goes. I am curious. I would say you better respect those that have been there long before you.

I think you missed my point.

Who ever is there first on the day should claim it ride it and take priority. The next bloke to turn up takes his turn, so forth and so on.

So if you are a kiter riding a section and a surfer paddles in. He then must accept the kiter is there he should not expect the kiter to move on and kite somewhere else because he the surfer has higher priority.

If the surfer or group of surfers are there first on the day then the same occurs. the kiter cannot expect the surfers to move on.....

To me that is the fairest way.

As far as kiters and windsurfers are concerned I can't see why they can't co exist on the same section.

PS This is not how it is locally. But its how it should be.

I personally leave the surfers to their small section and pick a different part of the beach that better suits me.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:09 am

Apparently there is a surf camp there where they take the surfers back to the line-up in a boat.

Return to “Kitesurfing”