Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kite anchor and Crossbow

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

kite anchor and Crossbow

Postby matth » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:37 pm

I am just about to pick up a my new(lightly used) 2013 16m Crossbow and wondering if anyone has had success self launching this type of kite with a beach anchor/ sand bag method.
I have 3 Cabrhina Vectors and an Ocean Rodeo Flite and they all work excellent with this method. The Crossbow being a high aspect kite is much longer thinner profile and looks like it may not sit on the edge as steady as my other kites. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: kite anchor and Crossbow

Postby Bille » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Is it Higher AR than a Ozone Edge ? My Edge stays put kinda easy.

Anyway, i think i Like your sand-bag "Better" than my van-bumper ; gonna
start doing That instead !!

Bille

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:34 pm

From what I can see the edge and crossbow seem to have a similar shape. Both are upwind cruising machines...So hopefully it will be fine.

thanks

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:35 am

Do it with mine all the time. 2011s though, I seem to remember the 2013s looking crazy long'n'thin ;)

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Works fine with my 2011 too.
Try experimenting with depower, sometimes a bit of depower stops my switchblades bouncing around.

Kev

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 pm

badgb21 wrote:Works fine with my 2011 too.
Try experimenting with depower, sometimes a bit of depower stops my switchblades bouncing around.

Kev
Or try the opposite...

If you have too much depower on big kites, they will fall on their "nose" again, and you will find yourself swearing loud :motz:

Also goes for smaller kites most often - so I never depower those fully, as they dont sit as stable as with medium power.

BUT, depends on what you ride of course, and how much you weigh - so as said, you have to try it our yourself.

Mostly, here, I always start kites of that size backwards instead (or a slide launch) - as they will never be able to stand on the tip in that low wind anyways :o

But as said - if you ride a TT and/or are quite heavy, the wind will be sufficient and it should be a piece of cake with kite anchor start, especially with a Crossbow :thumb:

8) Peter

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:00 am

Yeah, whatever, experimenting kinda covers it!

Peter_Frank wrote:
badgb21 wrote:Works fine with my 2011 too.

Kev
Or try the opposite...

If you have too much depower on big kites, they will fall on their "nose" again, and you will find yourself swearing loud :motz:

Also goes for smaller kites most often - so I never depower those fully, as they dont sit as stable as with medium power.

BUT, depends on what you ride of course, and how much you weigh - so as said, you have to try it our yourself.

Mostly, here, I always start kites of that size backwards instead (or a slide launch) - as they will never be able to stand on the tip in that low wind anyways :o

But as said - if you ride a TT and/or are quite heavy, the wind will be sufficient and it should be a piece of cake with kite anchor start, especially with a Crossbow :thumb:

8) Peter

coyoteface
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby coyoteface » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:28 pm

I see people at my beach using an anchor with good results with the cabrinhas

here is a video from kiteanchor.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of2nZn2cJbE#t=199

Return to “Kitesurfing”