Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

cabrinha contra vs. velocity

Forum for kitesurfers
dlprince69
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Beach, FL Delray beach, FL
Style: Foil, Wave, Air
Gear: Cabrina SB 8, 12, 16, Cloud 17, Crazy Fly LW 155x45, North Jamie 139x39, Lift Foil, Sector 60, Alex A CR69LE
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: cabrinha contra vs. velocity

Postby dlprince69 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:21 am

kitesurfbali,

I have SB 16, 12, 8 2012 plus a Cloud 17. The Cloud 17 is the hands down favorite in winds below 10mph and ridable with lulls down to 5 mph. The SBs fall out of the sky and the Cloud is still well powered. I agree, the Cloud can luff if you don't spend the time and learn to fly it. It is different but calling it a luff machine is just ignorance talking.

As with any new equipment, there can be a learning curve. First time on my AA LE CR69 race board it kicked my butt. It wasn't that the board was bad, my skills just weren't up to it yet. After a few sessions, I was riding when other just watched from the beach. Same story with my Lift Foilboard, huge learning curve but the payoff when mastered is silent cruising, being able to just hear your lines singing in the breeze.

The Cloud 17 paired with the LiftFoil can't be beat for a light wind kit. Keep in mind I and over 200 lbs and most of the time, the only one out.

Nice kites are kites that fly.... Nice The Cloud fits this definition.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:43 am

Well said. :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:25 am

kitesurfbali wrote:I try to stay out of KF as every post become a war!!
But seriously the CLOUD!!!! I tried the 13m and my SB14m has HIPS more power..
Don't even know why people even bother with this kite the Flapping machine!
Bye Jankie
PS. Yes I'm biased BUT I only use/sell kites that are nice!

Shame you were hoping to find a light wind alternative up there.

Sure every kite takes a learning curve to master but you can never get beyond it basic design. Start pushing the limits on this kite and you may find out what it can really do. Thanks jankie it is what I suspected.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:15 pm

dlprince69 wrote: I agree, the Cloud can luff if you don't spend the time and learn to fly it. It is different but calling it a luff machine is just ignorance talking.
How do you fly it differently? I tried out a 17m cloud, very different than the Dynos and Rebels I am used to. Obviously Rebel/Dyno vs. Cloud is opposite ends of the aspect ratio spectrum, but just interested what are the tricks to riding the Cloud?

I was riding in 9-12 knots on a big surfboard when I tried the 17m Cloud. Tried back to back with 14m Rebel and couldn't tell a difference in power between the two kites. When there was a gust on the Rebel, I let the bar out a bit, making the kite move forward in the window, and drive upwind. With the Cloud though, I would let the bar out a bit in the gust, and instead of moving forward in the window, it would flap and stay in the same place? The cloud was very fast turning which I liked, but seemed like you couldn't get upwind with it in light wind.

dlprince69
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Jupiter Beach, FL Delray beach, FL
Style: Foil, Wave, Air
Gear: Cabrina SB 8, 12, 16, Cloud 17, Crazy Fly LW 155x45, North Jamie 139x39, Lift Foil, Sector 60, Alex A CR69LE

Postby dlprince69 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:06 am

davesails7,
I agree the Cloud 17 sits a little far back in the window with the stock bridle. See this thread for tuning ideas: viewtopic.php?t=2381813&p=807993

The sheet in Sheet In/out range on the Cloud is tight. It seems to pull upwind best slightly tighter than where it luffs in the corners where the wing tips attach. When I say slightly tighter, I mean maybe 1/4 inch bar movement. Any tighter and you will loose upwind performance.

Once you get the kite and bar tuned, it is a great ride.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:11 am

dlprince69 wrote:The sheet in Sheet In/out range on the Cloud is tight. It seems to pull upwind best slightly tighter than where it luffs in the corners where the wing tips attach. When I say slightly tighter, I mean maybe 1/4 inch bar movement. Any tighter and you will loose upwind performance.

Once you get the kite and bar tuned, it is a great ride.
That makes sense. As you let out on the bar it goes further forward in the window, but let out too much and the canopy luffs a bit and the kite drifts back. I'll have to try it again and keep in mind not to sheet out as much as I'm used to. Thanks for the info!

heinzbush
Medium Poster

Postby heinzbush » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey MarcyMarc,

did you finally get the Contra15? How do you like it?

I finally decided to pull the trigger on the 17 Contra... was doubting till the last minute whether 15 or 17 is the best option for me... I am worried that I wont take out the 17 in conditions with light wind and gusts (or when the wind picks up) because it is too big... But I'm 100kg, so I figured if I want a lightwind kite, I can as well go for the 17...

From what I heard (and read on forums) it is an awesome (playful) lightwind kite that is great for spending time in the air :), but I couldn't get any first hand comments / reviews on the "upper end"...

I can pick it up next week at my shop and as soon as my cast is removed (broken wrist) I can take it to the test :)

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:27 pm

hey Heinzbusch,

Without testing it I ordered a Contra 15m...Together with my Whip or Select and my 80 kg's I should be able to get some good light wind fun and also big air... :jump:

I have got already the 2014 10m Switchblade and if the Contra is about the same I will not be disappointed...

Will let you know!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:42 pm

100kg and a 17?

no worries, let the gust come...you are like an anchor, just don't get too fast and edge hard ;-)

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:35 am

dlprince69 wrote:kitesurfbali,

The Cloud 17 is the hands down favorite in winds below 10mph and ridable with lulls down to 5 mph.
As with any new equipment, there can be a learning curve.
I'm second to kitesurfbali :thumb:
If that thing would be ridable down to 5 mph and going upwind, than that would be the king of light wind kites :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”