Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any facts about 2014 Ozone Catalyst 14m or Bandit6?

Forum for kitesurfers
RolandM
Rare Poster
Gear: 10m Bandit5, 12m Slingshot Rally
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any facts about 2014 Ozone Catalyst 14m or Bandit6?

Postby RolandM » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi,
It’s time for me to get a powerful freeride kite for 17-25 knots. These are the last days for my 12mSlingshot Rally and I would like to replace it with a new machine. I want a bit more power, a bit faster but easy – to -relaunch kite. I have 87 kg and most of the time I ride twin-tips (143/43, 140/42…). I haven’t deepened in unhooked tricks but I like high jumps and hanging in the air. I like to feel the power in my kite, several times I challenge the kite’s limit – this also means that the good quality is crucial.
I have a 10m Bandit5 which meets my expectations in 22-30 knots.…except its upwind performance and the quality.
I rode Best kites but those were used in a kite school so, it wouldn’t be fair to evaluate them.
I demod a Gaastra Jekyll6 but it was not fast enough for my taste.
The shops nearby also sell F-One and Ozone kites.
I’ve mentioned my experience with Bandit5 so, I suppose the Bandit6 is good as well. Can anyone comment the upwind abilities of a 12m Bandit6?
The other option: 2013 Ozone Catalyst. Never had the chance to demo one. What I found about it: is not so powerful, not so fast. I don’t want to be misguided by only one opinion so, can somebody share some live experience with 2013 Catalyst? I try to keep it on my list as I read good reviews about Ozone bar and I think the quality is superior comparing to Bandit6. If it isn’t so powerful then I should consider a 14m….but 14m is already a big canopy which might have a hit on its relaunch abilities…and for sure it won’t be so eager as a 12m one. I don't consider Edge as I do silly things very often which results in a couple of relaunch during a session. And as I read relaunching an Edge is not smooth....
I would appreciate if those who have tried 2013 Ozone Catalyst (14m) or 12m Bandit6 could share the experiences.
Thanks

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Re: Any facts about 2014 Ozone Catalyst 14m or Bandit6?

Postby Westozzy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:21 am

87kg, 17-25 knots....

Well the 12m bandit would suite your need better. I'd say the 14m cat you'd be having a hard time of it in 20 knots plus.

Why? becuase as I keep hearing and this includes the Zephyr, people keep using the 2012 and earlier models to make comparisions.

The new Cat has as good bottom end as any kite in its class at the same the size. Shorten those back lines and the bottom end is excellent (as opposed to the bandit, you can't stall these kites).

The zephyr isn't even the same kite as earlier models...

I have owned a 2013 14 cat and also a Bandit 5 12m. But I have ridden a 9m bandit b6. Yeh the bandit although it looked like an 8m in the sky packed a mean punch.

Stay with the same kite man. Bar is fucken horrible in my humble opinion, but hey each to their own.

If you said 15 to 20 knots, then I'd say the 14m cat. But 17-25 you need a 12m bandit. Plus you know how it flies, you know its characterisitcs. it is a bloody nice wing hey.

RolandM
Rare Poster

Postby RolandM » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Westozzy - is it true that the Catalyst is less powerful than the Bandit5 or 6?
You say it would be hard to handle 14m Cat in 20+. You mean even a 12m Catalyst would work fine for me in 17-25 knots? My Bandit5 works fine but I want better quality. And Ozone is present (in paragliding) for a while so, they should know something. At the end I'm trying to find out why not to buy a Catalyst :)

jb74
Rare Poster

Postby jb74 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey Roland,
I'm about to buy a 2013 Catalyst. If the weather will allow me I will share my experiences next week

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I'd say get the 12m Cat. 17 to 25knots is plenty of breeze.

RolandM
Rare Poster

Postby RolandM » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 pm

I read somewhere that Ozone does not use pulleys for Catalyst.
What is the added value to use (or not to use) pulleys?
Whar are the pros and cons re pulleys?
I don't get it. Are these pulleys easily breakable stuff? Is it better not to have them?

RolandM
Rare Poster

Postby RolandM » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 pm

Yeah stefaans, I thought the same. Even if the Catalyst is not so powerful as the Bandit, above 20 knots it should fly pretty smooth while a 14m would give me some hard time.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:58 am

RolandM wrote:Westozzy - is it true that the Catalyst is less powerful than the Bandit5 or 6?
You say it would be hard to handle 14m Cat in 20+. You mean even a 12m Catalyst would work fine for me in 17-25 knots? My Bandit5 works fine but I want better quality. And Ozone is present (in paragliding) for a while so, they should know something. At the end I'm trying to find out why not to buy a Catalyst :)

No I wouldn't say that. Before 2013, yes. 2013 no.

Want better quality? there is nothing wrong with the quality of the bandit wing and the price shows this. Very well built kites. Quality is not your issue here.

It is what you would prefer in terms of power delivery, 'feel'. The bandit will go bigger, it will have more power through a loop. But from my experience the Cat, even the new one, just beats it in terms of drift. Also the cat is a little more tame when unhooking. But these are just finer distinctions and personalised observations. They are both kites pitched at the same type of rider.

You need to ride both and see. Pulleys versus non pulleys...plenty of posts have covered that and in the end I have ridden brilliant kites with and without pulleys. It depends on the 'feel' of the kite in the end. This can only be achieved by riding them both, back to back over a few sessions in different conditions.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:15 am

You should look at the edge. A 10m or 11m would be right. Relaunch is not a problem at all in 12+kts

Just requires a certain simple technique. It relaunches easily once you learn how.

Basically you pull one line. Let go an immediately pull the other leader.

Kite just rolls right over. Don't let what you have heard about relaunch turn u away. Best freeride kite I have ever flown. Big floaty jumps and excellent board speed.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:46 am

having a 10m edge and I will support you on it's power for freeride boosting but it would be a very big difference between his bandit and the edge. Very different kites. I'd say the cat would be closer to a bandit in term of power delivery and performance. The edge is very specific and a beautiful wing. I'm saying this becuase I have an 8m cat under the 10m edge and there is always a period of adjustment.

Return to “Kitesurfing”