Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Correct Footstrap Setup / Ergonomics to prevent Ankle In

Postby edt » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 pm

That's too loose. what happens is you land feet first one heel goes past the strap now no matter what you do you can't release that foot so it breaks. just a touch tighter. change straps if you can't keep this brand on your feet. Toby has big feet so his never slip entirely through the strap

ralfiboy
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ralfiboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Toby wrote:How about very loose straps and trying to crash in a way that you don't put pressure onto your feet?
That's why I explained it on my Airstyle DVD, that the risk of getting injured is less this way.
Works for me so far since 13 years. Knock-knock
That is because you only dangle. No offense.

Why would boots put any more stress on your knees? If you do lenten-style kiteloops, catch an edge and rip them out, then yes you might get hurt easier. If not, i dont think boots will put any more stress on your knees, not in my experience at least. The only time i have injured my knee kiting was when one foot came out of the strap and the other didnt, which wont exactly happen in boots.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:12 pm

ralfiboy wrote: Why would boots put any more stress on your knees?
It's a good question and one I think we have to answer empirically. aaron hadlow was injury free for 12 years never got an acl tear until he went to boots got one that same year. Kevin langeree got his acl injury in straps in 2010. youri zoon got his acl torn twice once in 2007 and once in 2008 in straps, as far as I know alex paster never got an acl tear and he rides boots. ruben lenten had the worst injury of his career in straps and has still not recovered completely with a broken ankle. Bruna Kajiya switched to boots and tore her acl. I watched a friend of mine tear his acl. He had been riding in straps for about 10 years, and occasionally switched to boots to unhook. It looked like absolutely nothing, landed a bit awkward, and the next thing I see is him body dragging back to shore.

I think there's a slight trend. Boots seems to be a bit worse for the acl. Straps seem to be a bit worse for the ankle.

I have no idea of the physics here just watching the pros and the local riders and adding up the injuries. Because I agree with you based on the physics it seems like boots would be safer for your knee but it doesn't seem to be in real life.

I might change my mind about this, wish I could compile a better list of the pkra riders and when they switched to boots and their injuries. You also have to add up the years injury free vs injury free in boots.

ralfiboy
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle

Postby ralfiboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Found this study though: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23016104

"The majority described feeling a pop or buckle after attempting to land a high jump. Only 5 participants (13.5%) described a rotational mechanism created by catching the board edge in the water."

"Wakeboarding may be a high-risk sport for ACL injury. Noncontact axial compression appears to be the main mechanism of injury."

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:27 pm

here is a typical acl tear

guy lands, board slips out from under his feet, and the knee goes the wrong way. Like the acl tear I saw in person it doesn't look bad, but the knee gets completely wrecked.

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:02 pm

I prefer that my toes are barely visible beyond the straps.
When landing the board my heel or heels are slightly lifted from the board and adds damping when landing as I land a bit on my toes

Return to “Kitesurfing”