Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pacasmayo waves - Windsurfers have priority?

Forum for kitesurfers
donchin
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pacasmayo waves - Windsurfers have priority???

Postby donchin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:46 am

VOMKB wrote:
donchin wrote:
VOMKB wrote:It seems to me that if those are the rules of the spot, then there is no argument.

those are the rules of EVERY surf spot.
It seems to me that you are missing the point. The person that started this post said that he ignored the rules displayed at El Faro. Thus, whether the rules are the ones accepted EVERYWHERE or they are LOCALS rules, there isn't an argument for whether they should be followed or not. It's a similar concept to abiding by the rules/laws in a country you are visiting. I hope this clarifies my first post.

Jaime

You think the rules of a wave change accordingly to the country you are visiting???

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 pm

^^^^
I don't understand what's so hard to understand. I'll try again: WHATEVER the rules, respect and follow them.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:28 pm

jakemoore wrote:Kiters should give a wave to a windsurfer. So much easier to catch a wave on a kite. Also the stakes are higher for the windsurfer and their ability to yield is less. There will be another wave for the kiter.

Both kiters and windsurfers should give a wave to somebody paddling in not because they are first but they actually have to swim to get the wave. There is just no reason to snake waves from a surfer. And there will be another wave for the kiter and windsurfer.

Jake
Exactly - agree 100% with this Jake, and well written :thumb:

This makes sense almost anywhere - and particular if there is a local rule, one has to respect that (even if it was odd - but it is not...)

8) Peter

donchin
Frequent Poster

Postby donchin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 pm

VOMKB wrote:^^^^
I don't understand what's so hard to understand. I'll try again: WHATEVER the rules, respect and follow them.
But, you have to know WHATEVER the rules are before you can respect them.......not easy to understand if you don't surf.

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Per the original post, the rules were posted. My response in the context of the original post.

donchin
Frequent Poster

Postby donchin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:54 am

VOMKB wrote:Per the original post, the rules were posted. My response in the context of the original post.
Yeah buddy.

andrepen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Postby andrepen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:49 am

Ok, so I have to give way to surfers (i agree) AND windsurfers?

Wow, its hard to catch a wave there, hey?

Sorry guys, I will try another spot next time.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 am

That's exactly what the locals want

:P
andrepen wrote: Wow, its hard to catch a wave there, hey?
Sorry guys, I will try another spot next time.

ben newman
Medium Poster

Postby ben newman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:25 am

andrepen wrote:Hello Kiters,

Have you heard about Pacasmayo, in Peru? It is a classic point for windsurf and kitesurf in the waves.

In the main hotel there, El Faro, there is a paper in the wall with the windsurf rules.

It explains the right of priority in the waves.

The last paragraph is written:

- Windsurfers have priority over kitesurfers. But be carefull, because normaly the kitesurfers dont know the rules.

Is this real? I just ignored this rule on the water... And the windsurfers were really pissed on me, they really thought they had priority over kitesurfers.

Strange things...

Good winds

Andre, Buzios, Brazil
Do the local kite surfers agree with these rules? do they obey them?
The fact that a bunch of windsurfers decided that they have right of way over kite surfers and that they put a paper on a hotel wall doesn't mean that these are in fact the local rules.

Barth
Rare Poster

Postby Barth » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:35 am

Aside Pacasmayo, I'll be glad to share your experience.
The problem is that it is like playing different games on the same playing field, we don't follow the same rules when we practice football, soccer or rugby, don't we ?.
Ideally (I'm far from being in Hawaii), I would practice surfing (no wind or light offshore is the best), then kitesurfing (onshore, less then 25 kn) and funboarding (over 25 kn). Lately less funboarding, there is too much equipment to carry.
Surf : the first standing-up or the one paddling closer to the peak earns priority (get complicated with boogie boarders who almost never stands up, and the SUPers already standing up) and when you paddle back to the line-up you must get out of the way of the one surfing
Kitesurf : it seems to be the same rules in waves as surfing.
Funboard : the closer to the peak has priority, but the jumpers because they have less maneuvering capacities have priority over the wave's rider.

Add flat water sailing rules, ignorance, crowd, etc... mix all that ! It can be hell and dangerous.

What I follow : surfer has priority anyway (surfing or paddling), but I would not drop in a wave with any sailing device full speed on it. (Fortunately most of the time when the wind picks up, the surf is poor, so I switch to kite.) Sailing devices while riding : the closer to the peak gets the priority.
Things get tricky when a kitesurf rides and a funboard jumps, I don't know, the places where I go never get that crowded. I believe common sense and good manners should rule, safety first.
What do you do ?

Petite plaisanterie perso pour Kenny (Vive les quenelles) :D
If you don't surf don't start. (If you surf never stop.)

Return to “Kitesurfing”