Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Bar widths and line lengths ?

Postby letsgoflyakite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:51 am

Is there a base guide to what bar line width and lengths go with what kites ? If I was to get an 8m RPM, would a 17" bar with 20m lines be good? Or would the short lines make such a small kite too quick turning. I am not kitelooping, where I know short lines are better, just normal blasting, jumping and riding small waves. My Rally 10m came with a 20" bar and 23m lines, but feel as if it would be better on a 17" bar ? Any help would be appreciated.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Bar widths and line lengths ?

Postby NYKiter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:57 am

I love the 20 inch (50cm) bar. To me its the sweet spot for all my kites12m and below .
But I love the 58cm for my 15m - personal preference bub :bye:

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Ive also asked myself the question.....i use two bars...my gaastra x bar 2012 in 52/48 for my Gaastra jeykll 9m and takkon reflex 12m and a slinkshot 55cm for my 15m rev. I did fly my rev with the gaastra bar...was ok but starting was not as easy as with the original bar (starts without even trying). I also have a much bette feeling with the 55cm on the 15m. Have not tried to take off the 4 metre extensions on the gaastra bar yet, when i go out in more wind with the 9er maybe around 30 knots ill try it....what are the effects of shorter lines...

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Been thanked: 0

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:39 pm

dazarter wrote: Have not tried to take off the 4 metre extensions on the gaastra bar yet, when i go out in more wind with the 9er maybe around 30 knots ill try it....what are the effects of shorter lines...
Shorter lines equals smaller power stroke. Teaching on short lines can be effective and less risky to the student. Yes the kite responds quicker and it really forces someone's brain to try and catch up when learning that way but when putting them on longer lines after the short line experience, they have more time to think and can develop more power in the power stroke to get better waterstarts. At riding level, short lines are good for kiteloops, photoshoots (kite can be framed in the picture easier and show detail), also wave riding where steering input can really be felt and taken advantage of.

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:16 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:Is there a base guide to what bar line width and lengths go with what kites ? If I was to get an 8m RPM, would a 17" bar with 20m lines be good? Or would the short lines make such a small kite too quick turning. I am not kitelooping, where I know short lines are better, just normal blasting, jumping and riding small waves. My Rally 10m came with a 20" bar and 23m lines, but feel as if it would be better on a 17" bar ? Any help would be appreciated.
The 8m RPM is awesome on the stock 17" bar with 20m lines. If your not into big loops and want to save some $ then get the 8m kite only and use your Rally bar with 23m lines. It may be a bit faster in the steering but the jumps will be better on the longer lines. It may also even itself out a bit as the longer lines will slow it down. I agree that the 17" bar is perfect with the 8m RPM!

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm

thanks for the reply, do you think it would be better to use shorter lines in strong winds to increase the wind range of the kite and control...?

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

You may get a couple of extra knots out of the shorter lines but not much. Going back and forth from different line lengths changes your timing for jumps a little. If your not riding waves, I would stick with the 23s. The 17" bar with 20m lines would be great if you ever get a smaller kite as the 20" with 23m lines may be too fast.

Return to “Kitesurfing”