Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Questions for Toby - custom handle etc.

Forum for all hooked tricks
Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Questions for Toby - custom handle etc.

Postby Macisback » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 am

Hi Toby,

just registered to your forum, thank you.

Bought your Airstyle DVD in Soma Bay 3 weeks ago - absolutely stoked!
5-6m high Tabletops, Tailgrabs, hooked Raileys after 2 weeks (I got it on tape :) - for some not a big deal, I enjoyed every single jump :-) ) then 1 week ago I fractured my rib (used a 12m2 Kite for one day instead of the 15m2...)

Anyhow, for my 3 week trip to Cumbuco from Dec 27th I am now buying new material.

As I can not kite more than 4-6 weeks a year I dont want to loose time and decided to copy your setup shown on the DVD (weighing 80-90kg depending if Im single or not :-) )

I thought about the Dyno 2011 18m2, North 2012 5-Line Trustbar, 25m with Microloop and the Flyboard S R3 2011 with Grabrails (Flyboard 2013separatly available?) as main setup.

I have a few questions, maybe if you find the time to answer them, Id really appreciate it!

- Would you recommend a 16m2 Dyno 2011 or shall I go for a Rebell 2010 16m2 for my second kite for stronger wind?
- Does a third 14m2 kite make sense (Rebell) if I flew a 15m2 Core XR2 in 18-22 knots?
- Do you think the Flyboard S R4 2012/13 is a big difference (Throws/Flips) compared to the 2011?
- How high is your Custom Handle? I have shoe size 43,5 - so I guess mine needs to be a bit lower?
- Where the hell do I find a new Dyno 2011 18m2 or a Flyboard S R3??? (only find used ones)

Thank you, Markus

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Questions for Toby - custom handle etc.

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:15 am

Hi Markus,

Great to hear you are getting inspired!

Hahaha, I know this with taking a 12...had the same in 2008, hurt my rib, out for 6 weeks...
Big kite for me since then!

Cool with Cumbuco, we can go out together and push it! Contact me when you are there.

From somewhere I know your main setup ;-)

1. the Dyno 16 is too close to the 18, so a Rebel 2010 16 is better, since it has a big range.
2. 18 and 15 sounds like a good setup, stay with that
3. for me Radical S 2011 and 2012 work great. The 2013 for me is too light and short. Too light is not good for kickflips
4. the handle is about 6-7 cm high. Don't go too low, since you need to grab it quickly without breaking your fingers. And the feet need to be able to fit into it
5. only used. But no problem, some kites in good conditions are sometimes abailable. Or check on Russian online shops

Good luck for all!

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Hey Toby!

Thanks for your help! I will drop you a message when I arrive in Cumbuco and have drink and session with you for sure if you find the time.

Of course you know the setup - It is 1:1 yours from the DVD :-)
Im just too lazy for experimenting.

Found a new Flyradical S R3 2011, Grabrails and two 2012 North Bars, am ordering 2 ML sets from you.
Still working on the kites. Worst case I will get a 17m2 and a 14m2 Naish Draft 2013, should do the Job too (with the North bar - but I guess I will need to attach an original bar at least once to compare and do adjustments maybe)

Another question: Does your 18m2 Dyno 2011 make this humming noise (some people say it does, but the 16m2 doesnt? Just wondering?

Attached a pic from Soma Bay - 12m2 Kite - 2 min before my rib went bust - but its at 5-6m and that was after 50-60 hours of kiting in total - so Airstyle is for everyone :-)
Attachments
IMG_4749.JPG

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:37 pm

yes, it makes that noise...but no problem...then people know to better stay away ;-)

CU in Cumbuco!

But hey, don't wonder if people ask if you are Toby there...people just know my kite and board, not my face :P

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:33 am

Haha, maybe not bad to be Toby for a day :-)

Hell - that noise/humming thing - I dont know if I like that too much - I love the silence when kiting...seriously

So maybe I take a 16m2 Dyno or a 17m2 Draft hm.
I mean if I will be back to 80 kg a 16m2 Dyno should do the same job for me as a 18m2 does for you with 93 kg?

CU in Cumbuco!

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Tobi,

slowly get my act together on the material side :-)
Two more questions, if you dont mind...

I ended up with a 17m2 and a 14 m2 Naish Draft that I will use with two 25m North Trust Quad bars 2012 that I upgrade with your Miniloops sets. (Too much hussle to get some Dynos)

Im not sure if the Naish Draft will completely depower on the North Bars Front Line (Naish uses V/Low-V, North kind of medium V), but I will see and maybe I need to custom modify the bars a bit (Theres a thread about it somewhere in the forum and I found some great hints here: http://www.stormside.de/shop_content.php?coID=14 ).

Interesting Setup anyhow - looking forward to test it :-)

So 2 more questions:

1. I got my Flysurfer Radical S 2011 R3 - BUT: I just recognized that I cant make the straps as big as I need them (there is also 2011 straps on that board). Any hints how to get them bigger, or shall I just get the 2012 straps that you use?

2. I am a bit of a perfectionist sometimes :-) So I decided to let my custom handle be produced in Germany by a CNC Producer. I will open a new post for that - so everybody can contribute/benefit from it --> see the new post

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:24 pm

1. Not sure about the 2011 straps...I think those I didn't like...I think 2010 was good, and now I am on 2012/2013. Those are excellent. Just need a good enough knot, since the line always opens otherwise.

2. I replied. Sounds interesting.

Return to “Airstyle”