Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Alternative to breaking surfboards

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:19 am

If i remember correctly - there is a Sth african kiteboard shaper with a vid of driving over his boards to show strength...

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:54 am

http://youtu.be/gZW2j7Z4x3E

Jimmy Lewis kiteboard Maui

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:55 am

Kite2Heaven wrote:If i remember correctly - there is a Sth african kiteboard shaper with a vid of driving over his boards to show strength...
I read that as "there is a Sith kite board shaper" . . . I think I been playing too many Star Wars games of late . . .

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:04 pm

Lol - I am your Father :)

richswing
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth
Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa

Postby richswing » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Sth African sharper - Xelerator.

rretzlaff
Rare Poster
Gear: Caution

Postby rretzlaff » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:40 pm

I have the same problem and dont believe there is a board that feels like a surfboard that will hold up to jumping. The closest I have come across are boards by Doyle in the Gorge. I don't own one but am considering it for my next board. I have heard nothing but good things about these boards and not heard of one issue. They are a bit on the heavy side but flex is good and they have a nice feel in the water.

http://www.doylesports.com/

S.A.
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.cautionkites.com
www.nobilekiteboarding.com

Postby S.A. » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:39 pm

I have the same problem and dont believe there is a board that feels like a surfboard that will hold up to jumping. The closest I have come across are boards by Doyle in the Gorge. I don't own one but am considering it for my next board. I have heard nothing but good things about these boards and not heard of one issue. They are a bit on the heavy side but flex is good and they have a nice feel in the water.
Exactly - there is always a compromise.
I have the same problem and dont believe there is a board that feels like a surfboard that will hold up to jumping.
As long as you are prepared to accept a little weight penalty this perception is incorrect.
Our boards (for example) can be jumped repeatedly (even have a warranty). As an indication, the "standard" layup thrown at kite-surfboards is anything from 6+4oz or 6+6oz glass top with some patching under the foot areas.
If I use a board like this, it will have significant heel dents after 20 min of use. This doesn't mean the board has broken, but the heel dents will continue to grow over time.
By comparison, our construction shows zero to real minimal (2mm?) heel dents after 3 months of hard use including plenty of jumping every session and the boards also being used by various people for demo.
So yes, there are boards that have good surfboard feel and will stand up to the rigours of kiting, just look for the right (not always the cheapest) board builders in your area.
Combinations of cabon, + Kevlar with glass should generally be avoided. especially in a patch . they have much higher stiffness than glass meaning that when the assembly flexes the carbon or Kevlar takes virtually all the load and will fail first while the glass is just along for the ride.

Most people assume Kevlar has high impact toughness.....it doesn't. It will fail in impact (drop testing) before glass. The fibers tend to stay intact however...giving you a nice aramid woven basket to take home your broken surfboard in.
Yup! Many builders/shapers will throw exotic materials into the mix purely for marketing purposes,and the majority of end users love the idea and buy into it lock, stock and barrel.

rretzlaff
Rare Poster
Gear: Caution

Postby rretzlaff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:16 pm

S. A. - yes, I agree with you. simply using a higher density foam leads to a much more durable board. I have a PU board that has a dense core with a traditional layup and is holding together with very slight heel dents after 6 years of occasional use as a kiteboard. I dont know the density of the foam but need to look into that. Certainly this is compromise in weight but better than replacing the board after just one seasion.

The doyle boards take the core one stap further by using Divinycell for the core.

I had the opportunity to visit S. Africa last August. Beautiful country, I really enjoyed my trip.

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:47 am

S.A. wrote:

Yup! Many builders/shapers will throw exotic materials into the mix purely for marketing purposes,and the majority of end users love the idea and buy into it lock, stock and barrel.
I'll repeat one of my previous posts.

I can make a board lighter and tougher from S glass.
but I can sell a board faster and for more money if I make it out of carbon. :duh:

Return to “Kitesurfing”