Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Slingshot RPM, Fuel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Switchblade alternative

Postby DrYstad » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi guys!

I've been riding Cabrinha Switchblade for years now, and I've been quite happy with the versatility and range of these kites. With the 2013-models everything changed. The bar pressure was lighter and the kites turned faster, but the "grunt" and low-end power were completely gone. I've tried every tuning option I could find, but nothing worked. Last time I was out, I tried a 8m 2012 back to back with a 9m 2013, and they were pretty much the same, only the 8m 2012 was faster and had a bit more pull. I got rid of my 2013-Switchblades, and I'm now looking for something similar to the 2012 Switchblade. By the way, I've tried the 2014 SB and I'm not impressed with that either.

To sum up: I'm looking for a freestyle kite with the grunt and low-end power of a 2012 Switchblade.

Do you have any tips?

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Switchblade alternative

Postby naishdude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Ooh yes there is, and at a fraction of the C. Price, with the same pervect finish, strength and big valve to pump it up.

If you do not mind have a look at the Switchkites Nitro V2 and or Switchkite Element V2
You can get a lot of information on their open forum!

Www.swicthkites.com

Good luck with your choise!

Dude 8)

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Ooh yes there is, and at a fraction of the C. Price, with the same pervect finish, strength and big valve to pump it up.

If you do not mind have a look at the Switchkites Nitro V2 and or Switchkite Element V2
You can get a lot of information on their open forum!

Www.switchkites.com

Good luck with your choise!

Dude 8)

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39 pm

What characteristics do you like about the old switchblade? Do you like the heavier bar pressure? Big air? Any unhooking? Waves?

If you like an all around kite for big air, but not much unhooking, the Rebel could work. I think it has a similar targe audience as the switchblade.

If you like low end grunt, you might want to try out some of the delta shaped kites. They have a lot of power for their size, pivotal turning. A little less jump height compared to switchblade.

DrYstad
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride, wakestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Slingshot RPM, Fuel

Postby DrYstad » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for answering! I'll check out the Switch-kites.
The SB characteristic I like is the fact that it can do it all (sort of). I use my RPM/Fuel when I ride wakestyle or pull some nice kiteloops, but the old SB could do that pretty well too. The only thing I'm not interested in is wave-riding (no waves where I live).

Cheers,
Martin

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Try to get a demo of 2014 Liquid Force NRG if you can, sick kite this year! Has that low end grunt you are looking for, insane upwind and huuuuuuge jumps. It doesn't give as much slack as the Envy or Hifi-X for the wakestyle stuff but neither does the switchblade, should feel similar.

RideLow
Frequent Poster
Gear: Wipika Free air! <3
Brand Affiliation: Blue Waffle

Postby RideLow » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Try a 2014 switchblade and compare, seems like your favorite kite is back . It has gotten its grunt back but kept alot of the good stuff like lighter bar and a more direct feel.
I have tested the 12 and 9 and they have much more grunt than last years. I would say the 2014 9 meter is more like last years 10m..

I am waiting to get my hands on the Chaos for a demo but if you like the Switchblade, give the 2014 a spin before you buy anything else.

Good luck :)

pdb1121
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kwajalein
Gear: 2012 Airush Lithium 12m
2009 Best Nemesis 10m
2012 Wainman Smoke 9m
Airush Xover 142
2012 OR MAko King

Postby pdb1121 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:41 pm

Airush Lithium is often compared to the SB. I love my 2012. I will try the SB next week to compare. I originally went with the Airush vs the SB in 2012 because I stalled the SB a lot, but that was on my first lessons. Didn't know what I was doing then. (If I even do now...)

I may go with the Airush DNA next time. I'd like to try it. Should be the same as the Lithium, but no One-Pump, which I prefer. Less to go wrong. Better if you are leaving your struts inflated.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:03 am

I'm now looking for something similar to the 2012 Switchblade
You could just get a new set of 2012 SBs. I see them on ebay and other places for under a grand.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:13 am

DrYstad wrote:Hi guys!

I've been riding Cabrinha Switchblade for years now, and I've been quite happy with the versatility and range of these kites. With the 2013-models everything changed. The bar pressure was lighter and the kites turned faster, but the "grunt" and low-end power were completely gone. I've tried every tuning option I could find, but nothing worked. Last time I was out, I tried a 8m 2012 back to back with a 9m 2013, and they were pretty much the same, only the 8m 2012 was faster and had a bit more pull. I got rid of my 2013-Switchblades, and I'm now looking for something similar to the 2012 Switchblade. By the way, I've tried the 2014 SB and I'm not impressed with that either.

To sum up: I'm looking for a freestyle kite with the grunt and low-end power of a 2012 Switchblade.

Do you have any tips?
Hi,

I was on Switchblades for 5 years (and I was happy with them except the canopy material in those days), then I switched to a smaller kite brand who I was not very happy with.
But then I had a go on a North Fuse and I never look back. Give that kite a try (you might need a few hours to get used to it)!
But be quick- North is stopping the Fuse production for 2014.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Return to “Kitesurfing”