Favorite Beaches: None
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 10m, 12m SwitchBlade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Renting kite gear instead of buying …

Postby Jeffrey2003 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:55 pm

I recently found myself facing a dilemma. I’ve already got a used 10m and 12m Switchblade, but I was thinking of buying a 8m Switchblade for those windy days. In Cape Hatteras you can rent kites from either Real Watersport or Kitty Hawk Kites. I’ve already got a board and harness. So, just to rent a kite would be $250 for the entire week. I got to Hatteras about 4 time during the summer. So we are looking at $1000 for the entire summer. In addition, my 10m is getting kinda old and I might need to replace it soon. If I were to buy a new 2 Cabrinha Switchblade kites it would cost roughly $2500. So wouldn’t it make more sense to rent kites instead of buy them? I understand that some people live and travel to places that don’t have rental shops. I live about 4 hours from Cape Hatteras NC. So when I kiteboard, I’m always there. In addition, if you rented you would never need to worry about leaking bladders or repairing rips. You would not need to purchase different kite sizes because when the wind changes you just walk into the rental shop and grab the size you need.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Renting kite gear instead of buying …

Postby jakemoore » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:36 pm

You've heard the 3 F's of Success right?

If it flies, floats or.....

Rent.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:59 pm

I think this comes down to how often you kite in say a years time.

I go on 3 - 4 one week trips a year and kite on average 1-2 times a week from April to Nov when I am at home. Then factor in my wife kites as well and we share a quiver since she is over 50lbs lighter then I am.
This would obviously not work for me.

I think you are in a very uncommon situation, but consider you may want to travel another place then Hatteras one day...... then you will have to buy kites regardless... personally I prefer to know my equipment and have it just in case I want to do something different. The world is a big place, and Hatty is nice and all but wow if that is the only place you ever go you will miss out on some amazing places.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction
Been thanked: 0

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Jeffrey2003 wrote: I live about 4 hours from Cape Hatteras NC. So when I kiteboard, I’m always there. In addition, if you rented you would never need to worry about leaking bladders or repairing rips. You would not need to purchase different kite sizes because when the wind changes you just walk into the rental shop and grab the size you need.
Why would you need to worry about leaking bladders or repairing rips if you bought a new kite and treated it well plus if you cause a blowout or rip, you will pay for that fix. The one major benefit for you if you rent on Hatteras at KHK ( not sure about real's policies) but if you rent a 9 and it starts nuking, you can probably swap for a 7, or if you were on a 7 and it drops to low teens, you can probably swap for a 14 or 17. So rentals aren't a bad idea.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

For a small kite when needed, probably no problem, stores keep smaller kites for lessons so there should be some rental/demo stock. Big kites though, cost more, not stocked as much for lessons, and when it is 10 knots, they are all in use.
I would say renting a small kite is a good option, provided you are a strong intermediate and/or are experienced with similar kites. Have a friend who is used to slow kites who hurt himself in an accidental kiteloop renting a sportier kite in 20knots plus. He recovered after a month off and ended up just extending his quiver of slow kites, so he is dialed in to his gear in all weather.
Fun to try new stuff though, just be careful!

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:47 pm

I'm not sure Real or KHK would always have the kite you want. Let's say it's a banner wind day and there's other people with the same idea as you and they get up earlier and get all the kites before you. Maybe they don't keep around many of the the big light wind kites because they are not the norm in Hatteras... Let's say they have to keep some on hand for scheduled lessons. It just doesn't seem like anything's guaranteed. I could see a swarm of renters on a great wind day...

Yeh I agree - rips and tears would be a hassle. Maybe the stores have an insurance fee like rental car companies to absolve you of paying for damage. Still sounds like more money.

I know I have been somewhat let down in the ski world. There have been times when I got the "hot" ski and times when I got the "so so" ski or settled for the wrong size so I could get the "hot" ski.

Maybe renting now and then but as a general way of life???

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:52 pm

numbers:

rent two years = 2000

Buy: 2500
Sell used: 800
Spent: 1700

Buy: might need to fix, but you know your gear, can take wherever you go
Rent: always latest gear, might be different, no costs if you fly...

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:21 pm

the other solution is to not pay $2500 for two kites. you can get kites 1 or 2 years old, brand new, on ebay or other sites very cheap. For example the bellingham kite shop has 2012 LF nirvanas for $400 for a brand new 7m. Not the kite you're looking for but just an example...

Return to “Kitesurfing”