Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Torch
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

F one Bandit 7 Vs. 2014 North Rebel

Postby moontribe » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new 9m kite that boosts high jumps and hang time + is responsive.

Should I go for the 2014 Rebel or wait for the B7 to come out?

Thanks!
Last edited by moontribe on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iroddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Shoreham

Re: F one Bandit 7 Vs. 2014 North Rebel

Postby iroddy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:35 pm

moontribe wrote:Hi,

I'm looking to buy a high performance kite.

Thanks!
Picture this:

You arrive at the beach with your mate, just the two of you. You both have 9m kites (26-28knots), no way to self launch whatsoever and no way to launch whilst your mate has his kite up.
He has the new Bandit 7 (4 lines) and you have the new Rebel (5 lines). Who can set their kite up quicker? :) Have fun watching him from the beach.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

iroddy wrote:
moontribe wrote:Hi,

I'm looking to buy a high performance kite.

Thanks!
Picture this:

You arrive at the beach with your mate, just the two of you. You both have 9m kites (26-28knots), no way to self launch whatsoever and no way to launch whilst your mate has his kite up.
He has the new Bandit 7 (4 lines) and you have the new Rebel (5 lines). Who can set their kite up quicker? :) Have fun watching him from the beach.
He'll come back overpowered and offer a launch after having his kite secured on the beach. Then He'll watching the new king of the air champion having fun as the wind picks up further.

Seriously, high performance kite doesn't make sense - there is too much competition to allow for low performance kites. If you ask about intended uses, experience etc. some might be able to offer some useful advice..

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:53 pm

You might want to define what the term "high performance" means for you. Otherwise your question doesn't mean squat.

moontribe
Rare Poster

Postby moontribe » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:22 pm

alexeyga wrote:You might want to define what the term "high performance" means for you. Otherwise your question doesn't mean squat.
Alright, alright...... my bad.

Let me be more specific.

I'm looking for a responsive kite that can boost high jumps and hang time.

My riding style is mainly hooked in tricks (board offs etc..) and some raileys and S-bends. I might like to try some more un-hooked tricks in the future.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Well, under that angle Bandits are a lot more "performant" than the Rebel. Even though Rebel will jump higher, Bandit is much more suited for everything else on your list. Can't vouch for the 2014 ones though, basing my feedback on previous years. Got a B6 10m recently, really nice kite, although it's not the most responsive one out there either, hence I really like it for practicing freestyle tricks - can be really sloppy with the bar without getting spanked.

moontribe
Rare Poster

Postby moontribe » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm

alexeyga wrote:Well, under that angle Bandits are a lot more "performant" than the Rebel. Even though Rebel will jump higher, Bandit is much more suited for everything else on your list. Can't vouch for the 2014 ones though, basing my feedback on previous years. Got a B6 10m recently, really nice kite, although it's not the most responsive one out there either, hence I really like it for practicing freestyle tricks - can be really sloppy with the bar without getting spanked.

Thanks

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 pm

The Rebel does not compare directly against the Bandit. The Bandit compares much better against our Evo (or, in a month, our Dice). The delta shape is an all-rounder meaning it can do freeride, waves, or freestyle. The Rebel is pretty specifically a performance freeride kite, and (in my opinion) will be the better kite for general comfort while riding, more responsive especially when depowered, and bigger jumping/hangtime. While you can unhook on the Rebel for basic unhooked waveriding or raileys, the delta shaped kites such as the Bandit or Evo tend to sit deeper in the window and give you a steadier kite for unhooking, with a little more slack after your pop to make aerial handlepasses easier.
Also realize that delta kites have more grunt and less top-end... Rebels tend to give up just a little bit on the low end grunt but you get significantly more top end out of them, and they perform better when depowered.

Hope this helps, but as always, you're best off demoing gear if it's possible.

-Dan

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:18 am

Well said Dan, agreed. Don't compare them, different use, different market really.

CapatainJ
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham Beach, Lancing
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: North Rebels, Mako 150

Postby CapatainJ » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:11 am

I did a similar comparison before I bought some Wainman Rabbits.

Ultimately I think it comes down to the simple question; which kite is the most fun to use?

For me I decided not to buy the 2014 Rebels. I wanted a kite with a bit more guts low end but still had great top end and great all round ability whilst being super safe and easy to use.

If you get the chance I'd demo the B7, both kites are different, BUT they are both designed to put a smile on your face.

I think many of today's manufacturers are guilty of developing so many different kites which ultimately can end up confusing the consumer.

I'd look at North EVO, Bandit 7, Naish Park and Wainman Rabbit.

Look at the depower assembly, the bar and the QR, all of these can effect your descion too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”