Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Evo 2012 9m, now wanting Dice 9m, comparable?

Forum for kitesurfers
FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby FabsPH » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:56 am

I want same power, low end... wondering if I made right choice?
Never mind speed, etc, just want info on low end power.
Ordered, but still like input.
The kite is not out till october here, but some of you might have tested it, the 9m.... not 7m :-)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Evo 2012 9m, now wanting Dice 9m, comparable?

Postby Westozzy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:35 pm

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Not sure but I think WestOzzie's link was meant to be this:

http://www.kiteitright.com/kitesurfing- ... -kite.html

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:49 pm

As this shape is new to us I have very little feedback from consumers, but a few of us have been riding a quiver of Dice pretty regularly around here and I feel we know it pretty well. First of all, as to your direct question about power, I feel pretty confident saying that the Dice has less grunt than the 2012 Evo. However, it is also quicker turning than the Evo, allowing you to sine the kite to get power. At the same time, the Dice seems to have more high end than the Evo, so you probably have more range overall with the Dice than you're getting with your 2012 Evo. One guy in particular reported going to the coast with the Dice and was able to ride the 10 while others were on 12s and 14s from other brands, and then had no problem continuing to hold it down when others were switching to 7s. I've heard the same thing out of every pimp on this forum about one kite or another, but at least it's a sign that the range should be pretty decent. On the range of power the Evo is definitely our gruntiest kite, followed by the Fuse, then the Rebel, then the Vegas. I'd put the Dice between the Rebel and the Vegas.

Another significant difference is that the Dice is noticeably lighter on the bar than the 2012 Evo, and has great feedback (and this is with the Dice on the heavy bar pressure setting. It was so nice we haven't even bothered switching to the light setting).

I can't guarantee anything, but going from a 2012 Evo to a 2014 Dice should be a noticeable step up. Though the general idea behind the kites is similar (they are both marketed as freestyle and wave along with being great all-around freeride kites), I'm betting that you will find the Dice will give you more range, be quicker turning, be more comfortable for freeride, and should work better for both wave riding and advanced freestyle.

Please note that these comparisons are for the 2012 Evo vs the 2014 Dice. The 2014 Evo is completely redesigned, hasn't been finished, won't be available for several months, and I have absolutely no feedback on it yet.

Hope this helps and let us know your thoughts on the Dice when you get it.

-Dan

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Postby mkNY » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Hey Dan, so would you say a in terms of grunt and low end a 9M DICE would match a 2012 8M EVO?

I'm also riding EVOs (2012 and 2013) at the moment and want to know if I need to go up a size to get the same grunt and jumping ability from the DICE?

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I tend to think that yes, a 9m Dice will have a similar amount of power as an 8m Evo, but I really need to do some back-to-back testing and get some other people to test it as well to verify. And remember that even if it doesn't have the grunt, you can often work a quicker kite to get the same power as a gruntier kite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Fabs - apparently you will not get the same low end no matter what, and it will pull like one size smaller kite.
So the wrong choice if you want a similar kite :(
But the right choice if you want a good allround kite or a perfect wave kite, as most has ditched the Evo for waves, even heavier guys because of too little range and getting pulled off the wave.
But for super light wind as the biggest kite the Evo was perfect !

8) Peter

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 pm

I have not tried the Dice, but I swapped a 10m Vegas for a 10m Evo in not very powered conditions.

Vegas pulled much less, felt much less powerful. But same board speed and upwind angle. Evo floaty jumps but not super high (with limited time on the kite), Vegas more ballistic up and down.

As we were both lighter riders, we preferred the pull from the Vegas.

It sounds like there is some of this dynamic Vegas power built into Dice. If this is correct, it would be wrong to assume that grunt equals usable power. Power just builds in different ways.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:03 am

markchatwin wrote:Not sure but I think WestOzzie's link was meant to be this:

http://www.kiteitright.com/kitesurfing- ... -kite.html

Thanks mark!!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:12 am

The reason I have that link is I concur with his observations of the evo as I have ridden it and that of the dice, which I have demoed plenty and now have, along with the 4 other guys who demoed it! It had a big impact on us, and two of us have been at it for 14 and 12 seasons respectively. Truth be told four out of the five weren't even really looking for a new kite! We just thought we'd join in the free demo...ha ha ha always a bad move hey. :D

Comparing the evo and dice in the waves is mute, don't even try. Jumping believe it or not the dice.

Grunt evo...but the dice on the four line setup has a stupidly brilliant low end.

It has grunt, but more importantly flies forward to sit in a range within the window that to me is perfect for static grunt and yet enough apparent wind to get you back to your mark. The angle of attack changes linearly from full power to half way...hence you can really get some finer trimming going on, but sheet out and the angle of attack really changes a lot hence you can kill the kite. Don't ask me how they did it, but they have.

Redesigned evo hey, they have to, the dice makes it redundant. And the Neo while I'm at it.

North are on winner here as far as I'm concerned, but try one yourself don't believe my bullshit. Depends always on what you are after.

Return to “Kitesurfing”