przemj
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

T5 replacement upgrade: Shinn Monk '13 vs NHP '13

Postby przemj » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Hello.

I've just broken my old good T5 that I've been riding since my 1st day 3 years ago. Was very happy with it and found it very comfortable for my knees, although lacked some of the edge when launching a jump (or it's just a lame excuse for lacking skill :))...

So what's now? I'm intermediate (60 days on the water but freakishly commited), not really into freestyle for time coming but doing back/front rolls, simple transitions, trying to go big air, planning to go unhooked for some basic stuff, but generally hooked-in for some time coming. Love to go hard upwind (quite often overpowered, so using this as a way of holding down my overpowered kite).

Conditions: rarely on flat... Mostly Fuerteventura and choppy Baltic sea whereabouts.

Which board is better for me and for my further progress and still nice for my knees? Or maybe should I look into something else? I have this problem that it is impossible for me to demo any of these boards :(

Maybe I shoudn't write this but visually I prefer NHP much much more and already have good experience with their pads and straps (but plan to throw the KISS thing away) :)

I'm 178 cm, 79 kg. T5 had length 134x41, thinking about 134x42 NHP or 134x42 Monk... Correct size?

What's your opinion?
Last edited by przemj on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

przemj
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: T5 replacement upgrade: Shinn Monk '13 vs NHP '13

Postby przemj » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:27 pm

Well... To my astonishement I discovered that both boards are manufactured in Nobile's factory.

I can have NHP 15-20% cheaper that Monk, the question still unanswered is: which board would be better for my stuff? I cannot afford bad choice due to a limited pocket depth... And cannot demo any of these :(

Any advice?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:05 pm

przemj wrote:Hello.

I've just broken my all good T5 that I've been riding since my 1st day 3 years ago. Was very happy with it and found it very comfortable for my knees, although lacked some of the edge when launching a jump (or it's just a lame excuse for lacking skill :))...

So what's now? I'm intermediate (60 days on the water but freakishly commited), not really into freestyle for time coming but doing back/front rolls, simple transitions, trying to go big air, planning to go unhooked for some basic stuff, but generally hooked-in for some time coming. Love to go hard upwind (quite often overpowered, so using this as a way of holding down my overpowered kite).

Conditions: rarely on flat... Mostly Fuerteventura and choppy Baltic sea whereabouts.

Which board is better for me and for my further progress and still nice for my knees? Or maybe should I look into something else? I have this problem that it is impossible for me to demo any of these boards :(

Maybe I shoudn't write this but visually I prefer NHP much much more and already have good experience with their pads and straps (but plan to throw the KISS thing away) :)

I'm 178 cm, 79 kg. T5 had length 134x41, thinking about 134x42 NHP or 134x42 Monk... Correct size?

What's your opinion?
132x41 Monk!
:wink:

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:26 pm

przemj wrote:Hello.

I've just broken my all good T5 that I've been riding since my 1st day 3 years ago. Was very happy with it and found it very comfortable for my knees, although lacked some of the edge when launching a jump (or it's just a lame excuse for lacking skill :))...

What's your opinion?
Easy...

Monk Forever all the way. I was on an NHP for 2 years prior to my Monk. I also had a quick try on a raptor LTD but it didn't fit my need.

It is exactly what you need, a board that you can ride as hard as you want. you wont ever lose your edge no matter how hard you try. The best part is that it is even smoother than the nhp. Don't get me wrong the NHP is a great board and yes it probably has a better look. But in terms of performance the Monk forever is a step ahead. You can really load it for some nice big air.

I weigh 165 and I ride on a 132X41. At your weight I would go for the 134X42.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:08 pm

What do you want from your board? My experience between these 3 boards. 134 Shinn monk forever. Better top speed /overpowered, and smooth. Shinn Dundee 133 ( overlooked as the monk came first, got great reviews so is really popular) I ended up with Dundee, better in waves, a bit more suspension/ control over chop( we get a lot of that!) for your knees, at the expense of full on top end speed. It holds crap loads of power like the monk ! Shinn street 137 if you want a firmer board for pop/wakestyle. Not my cup of tea. The newer footstraps, 2013, have a bit more padding lower down which earlier straps suffered from a bit. The footpads are unbelievably comfy on the Shinns. I got last years Dundee with this years straps. Sorted. Get the board that suits what you do, rather than someone else's choice. Get a demo of dundee and monk and try on SAME day. BTW I am 95kg, and prefer the 42w rather than the recommended 44w for my weight.

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Agree with previous poster

132 X 41 Monk :thumb:

I (72 kg) am at a similar level to you ride in chop and love the 130 X 40 Monk for high wind riding.

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 pm

NHP/Monk almost the same shape/board, foot beds are different
NHP resale value is better and looks a lot better than the other one
15/20% cheaper ? Go for it !
Can you tell us more about the factory location? I bet it’s a snowboard factory in Austria

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 pm

irwe wrote:Agree with previous poster

132 X 41 Monk :thumb:

I (72 kg) am at a similar level to you ride in chop and love the 130 X 40 Monk for high wind riding.
Yup...I'm 68Kg and on the 130x40 too and I wished I would be able to get hold of a 2011 Monk 128x39 which would fit me perfectly.

Here is the Shinn board's size charts. But of course more inexperienced kiters need a larger board in the beginning.
http://www.shinnworld.com/#!whatssizedoineed/cptk

Cheers
Caesar 8)

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

I am your size and weight and I use the 134x42 Shinn Monk Forever. I like that size because the low end is great and yet I can handle it in high winds with my 6m kite. I think if you are getting one board, 134 is the size. If you could get two, then I would go with a smaller Monk and something like a Dundee.

K

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:03 pm

ktflyer381 wrote:I am your size and weight and I use the 134x42 Shinn Monk Forever. I like that size because the low end is great and yet I can handle it in high winds with my 6m kite. I think if you are getting one board, 134 is the size. If you could get two, then I would go with a smaller Monk and something like a Dundee.

K

KT, I would say get a small monk and speedball if you were going for 2 boards

Return to “Kitesurfing”